* denotes a replay

January (5 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6

5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6

Practice makes perfect, and by 1990, Capcom had released their third Mega Man game, and following true with the old adage, it builds upon the foundation of the two previous games and surpasses both. The North American box part is similarly the best of the first three games; it looks weird, but at least this time it looks like an evil ventriloquist doll Mega Man rather than a middle age super hero well past his prime running around with a laser pistol.

Mega Man 3, in my opinion, is the pinnacle of the 8-bit Mega Man games. As Mega Man 2 did with the original game, Mega Man 3 capitalizes on what made the second game exceptional and made it better. Levels are exceptionally well designed, the boss weaknesses and resistances are excellently balanced, levels are generally tough but fair, and the inclusion of the slide and Rush (best doggo roboi) make Mega Man 3 a truly spectacular game that stands out not only among Mega Man games but among NES games in general.

In terms of performance, the 8-bit Mega Man games generally have a bit of an issue with slowdown, and while Mega Man 3 is not exception, it seemed less severe and less of an impact on gameplay in this game than in the previous two. Couple that with the fact that the visuals are bright and detailed - especially with the robot masters - and it's clear that Capcom's team had really gotten comfortable with the NES and how to program for it by this point. As is usually the case with the Mega Man series, the music is exceptional and maintains the high musical standards set by the previous two entries in the series.

If you played Mega Man 2 and were impressed (and let's be honest, if you weren't, there's something wrong with you), then you'll be blown away by Mega Man 3. As Mega Man 2 did with Mega Man, Mega Man 3 takes everything that was great about Mega Man 2 and makes it even better. This definitely does stand out as one of the premier action platformers on the Nintendo Entertainment System and highlights just why Capcom was a juggernaut of game design back before the post-Resident Evil 4 days when they abruptly forgot how to make games. As was the case with Mega Man and Mega Man 2, this game is readily available on just about every console under the sun in one collection or another, so there's no excuse to miss out on this game. It's not perfect - the slowdown does still get annoying, and it's not totally devoid of the occasional difficulty spike and cheap kill - but it's truly fantastic in spite of those occasional flaws.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I feel like the bigger issue here is that he doesn't have a Switch. C'mon, bruh.

One day...<sigh>

It’s cool. Arenegeth noted that I don’t have a Switch, and I appreciate the information. I also have kind of a Wii U fetish; so even if I had a Switch, I might still go for the Wii U version... :lol:

I have a Switch, but I picked the game up for like $8 used on Wii U instead since I didn't want to drop $60 (or even $30-$40) on a game in a genre I wasn't sure I'd like.

Yeah I get that. My preference is definitely Switch > Wii U > 3DS when there's options. But that said, there's def instances where a Switch port of a Wii U game is $60, while the Wii U original is still easily found for $10-$20 and it makes it really hard to want to pay the premium. Hyrule Warriors, I'd have probably done the same as you (because I'm not sure I'd like it).
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

There is a ton of DLC in hyrule warriors with a plethora of new characters maps and storylines. The 3ds version features a complete new campaign featuring Linkle and a slew of DLC characters from the wii u version included and new challenges and maps. The switch is definitive by featuring every piece of DLC from all versions and packaging it together.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

It'd also depend on the route you went to get it, as brand new on Amazon the Wii U version looks to be pricier. Sub-$10 used is different, though you'd wipe out the savings if you opted to get the Season Passes on Wii U (and still not have all the content I think).
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I also have kind of a Wii U fetish

Go on...

Hey Elkin, did you actually beat three Mega Man games on January 6th?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Go on...

:lol:

I will! The Wii U is home to a lot of games still being released for the Switch (which makes business sense for Nintendo because : (1) they are really good games; and (2) no one played them on the Wii U). I like definitive or enhanced versions just fine, but as DSH noted, used Wii U games are pretty cheap right now.

Also, the Wii U Virtual Console is really strong, with a wide array of N64 and TG16 games you can’t get elsewhere (yet). There are also a few really solid games, like Earthbound Beginnings, Sin & Punishment, and Ufouria that weren’t originally released in North America. Also, it is backwardly compatible with the Wii, meaning the library of retro games available for the system is immense.

Finally, the Wii U eShop is full of pretty great indie titles. A lot of these are making their way to the Switch, but I’m not sure all of them will (or, frankly, should) make it there. Epic Dumpster Bear remains a console exclusive, and all of these games are just fine on the Wii U.

I recognize that the Wii U is a deeply, deeply flawed system. So we’re the Game Gear. Saturn, and TG16. That a system is deeply flawed doesn’t render it with less, and I expect to squeeze a lot of fun out of my Wii U in the coming years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Go on...

:lol:

I will! The Wii U is home to a lot of games still being released for the Switch (which makes business sense for Nintendo because : (1) they are really good games; and (2) no one played them on the Wii U). I like definitive or enhanced versions just fine, but as DSH noted, used Wii U games are pretty cheap right now. (Also, the Switch upcharge for some games - especially iOS ports - is borderline criminal.)

Also, the Wii U Virtual Console is really strong, with a wide array of N64 and TG16 games you can’t get elsewhere (yet). There are also a few really solid games, like Earthbound Beginnings, Sin & Punishment, and Ufouria that weren’t originally released in North America. Also, it is backwardly compatible with the Wii, meaning the library of retro games available for the system is immense.

Finally, the Wii U eShop is full of pretty great indie titles. A lot of these are making their way to the Switch, but I’m not sure all of them will (or, frankly, should) make it there. Epic Dumpster Bear remains a console exclusive, and all of these games are just fine on the Wii U.

I recognize that the Wii U is a deeply, deeply flawed system. (The comtroller’s battery life and lack of Bluetooth headphone support is almost unforgivable.) So were the Game Gear. Saturn, and TG16. That a system is deeply flawed doesn’t render it less fun or mean that there aren’t some great experiences available on it, and I expect to squeeze a lot of fun out of my Wii U in the coming years.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

noiseredux wrote:Yeah I get that. My preference is definitely Switch > Wii U > 3DS when there's options.

My preference is generally what's more objectively superior. Though I value content over performance, but unfortunately sometimes things aren't that simple.

I have endlessly procrastinated on which version of Rayman 2 I should get for example, as there's reasons to get the game on Dreamcast, PS2 and even PS1 despite being the most objectively inferior version. I settled for the Dreamcast version for the time being, but I'll probably end up getting all of them at some point so I won't feel like I'm missing out.

ZombiU on the Wii U is another odd example, the ports are theoretically superior on content (they have two extra melee weapons) and they run on higher resolution. But the game was so ingrained to the Wii U Pad it doesn't play as good without it, plus Ubisoft botched the ports when it comes to performance.

I wish I had a console fetish (well maybe the PS1 a bit) it would make picking up different versions a lot more easier.

The most expensive version of Hyrule Warriors by the way, would be the American Wii U Limited Edition. It was exclusive to the Nintendo New York store, and thus very limited in actual quantities. It is identical to the European Limited Edition otherwise, but I'm too scared to even look on how much the American edition goes for these days, some copies sold for like $500 back near release.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I want to make it very clear that zombi u on any system outside of the wii u is very I ferior. It lacks the multi-player game mode which is awesome and removes the map, second screen scanning, secondary audio fed through the game pad, second screen inventory management... All things that make the game more unique and engaging.

The big thing is the loss of asynchronous multi-player. That mode was severely overlooked and is genuinely an awesome experience in and of itself. 2 melee weapons do not make up for the actual vision of the game being compromised.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: :lol:

I will! The Wii U is home to a lot of games still being released for the Switch (which makes business sense for Nintendo because : (1) they are really good games; and (2) no one played them on the Wii U). I like definitive or enhanced versions just fine, but as DSH noted, used Wii U games are pretty cheap right now.

I recognize that the Wii U is a deeply, deeply flawed system. So we’re the Game Gear. Saturn, and TG16. That a system is deeply flawed doesn’t render it with less, and I expect to squeeze a lot of fun out of my Wii U in the coming years.

I agree with all of your points. The Wii U was always a unique system that we kept "almost buying." So when I finally got one last month, I realized what a great time to buy Wii U stuff it is. The games are soooo cheap! I got Wind Waker for $15. Think about that. One of the greatest games of all time, and this is the only (legit) way to play it in HD. And it was $15. Unreal.

The Wii U is also my preferred Virtual Console. The tablet screen is so much bigger than playing on 3DS. Since I don't often take my 3DS out of the house, this is fine for me. And it has the added benefit of being able to play those games on a big screen, or with a second player. Not to mention the games on it that aren't available on 3DS.

And as stated, there are times when I'll prefer to get a Switch port of a Wii U game. But if there's no real compelling reason, then the Wii U version is always way cheaper. Plus there's no Madden on Switch. 8)