Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:17 am

Image

The purpose of this thread is to list noteworthy plug and play consoles. By noteworthy, I mean anything that you would personally recommend to a friend or someone on this forum. I know there's an endless sea of garbage plug and plays out there, but some of them can be worth owning. That is the main objective of this list, so we can find the cream of the crop.

I only own one plug and play right now, so I'm listing these based on their appeal alone. If any of them suck for whatever reason, let me know and we can consider removing it from the list. Or perhaps create a "stay away from" list. I'll just add comments and/or reviews for each entry on the list. Amazon reviews are always useful as well (that's why most of these have Amazon links).

I also realize that there are some consoles that have built in games and have a cart slot for original game carts. These can be considered plug and plays as well as clone consoles. Being that we have a separate thread for clone consoles, I can list them in both.




Atari Flashback 9
Review needed.


At Games Legends Flashback Boom!
Review needed.


At Games Blast! (many different versions)
Review(s) needed.


The C64 Mini
Review needed.


NEOGEO Mini
Review needed.


Retro-Bit Generations
Review needed.


Sega Genesis Flashback
A lot of people say stay away from this one.


PlayStation Classic
Review needed.


Nintendo NES Classic Edition
You live under a rock? Get one! Also note that, if you are so inclined, you can add more games to it. See this link: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/blo ... /README.md


Super NES Classic Edition
You live under a rock? Get one! Also note that, if you are so inclined, you can add more games to it. See this link: https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/blo ... /README.md
Last edited by Ziggy587 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18827
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 am

There was an Intellivision Flashback released at just about the same time as the Coleco one. If Amazon prices are any indication, both are pretty scarce now.
https://www.amazon.com/IntelliVision-At ... B00K2BOG66

Just for kicks, I wanna mention that the ColecoVision Flashback was "ported" to Steam in its entirety.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/5298 ... Flashback/
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:39 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:If Amazon prices are any indication, both are pretty scarce now.


I'm not sure if I want to add anything to the list that isn't readily available to purchase. It seems like some of these plug and plays come and go.
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9213
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by marurun Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:14 pm

I think we should include some comments about quality. The Atgames Sega Genesis stuff is pretty much balls. Wouldn’t want to see someone mistakenly pick one up. Meanwhile, the SNES Classic Mini is awesome.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:18 pm

marurun wrote:I think we should include some comments about quality. The Atgames Sega Genesis stuff is pretty much balls. Wouldn’t want to see someone mistakenly pick one up. Meanwhile, the SNES Classic Mini is awesome.


I agree. If someone wants to write up a small little bit about any of these, I will include it with the link. I'm thinking exactly like how I was doing it in my flash cart thread. Either that or I could find and link a YouTube review, but I trust the opinion of a forum member more. That, and you can ask a forum member questions about it.
Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Tanooki Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:36 pm

It's still out there though it came out late 2011. Golden Tee Golf TV game (sticker is gold.) It is a fantastic copy of the arcade game. Saves all progress/data, 4 players, 3 courses, and a skins game. Unlike the original blue that had none of that, it's actually good and plays right.


Also in your console thread I brought up the Genesis Flashback you have here. You really do need to split them as ATGames did. They do sell the Genesis Flashback turd still as a handheld and basic RCA jacked console and it is plug and play. But the HD model, that one isn't a plug and play exactly. While it has games on board, it has a cartridge port and it will play any game tossed at it including even SRAM saves working which the SD firecore trash failed to do. It really is a cheaper HDMI alternative Genesis/MD cart playing console outside of just a PnP device.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18827
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:38 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:If Amazon prices are any indication, both are pretty scarce now.


I'm not sure if I want to add anything to the list that isn't readily available to purchase. It seems like some of these plug and plays come and go.


Fair enough. I mentioned the Intellivision one because you had the Coleco one on your list. Both are about 5 years old now, I believe, and very hard/expensive to find new.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Ziggy587 Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:58 pm

Tanooki wrote:It's still out there though it came out late 2011. Golden Tee Golf TV game (sticker is gold.) It is a fantastic copy of the arcade game. Saves all progress/data, 4 players, 3 courses, and a skins game. Unlike the original blue that had none of that, it's actually good and plays right.


Link?

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Fair enough. I mentioned the Intellivision one because you had the Coleco one on your list. Both are about 5 years old now, I believe, and very hard/expensive to find new.


To be honest, it came up in the suggested items when I was getting links to some of the others and I just copy and pasted it quickly because I saw it had the Prime logo. I didn't realize that the price tag was inflated because it's no longer being produced!
Image
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Tanooki Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 am

https://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Deluxe- ... B004S572PE

And a review, though I have no idea if it's a good one though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JORuzSCnhTc

-- changed the link the first one the video was ear annoyingly loud obnoxious and whiny, this one works fine.
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11987
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: List of Noteworthy Plug & Play Consoles

by Ziggy587 Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:I think we should include some comments about quality. The Atgames Sega Genesis stuff is pretty much balls. Wouldn’t want to see someone mistakenly pick one up. Meanwhile, the SNES Classic Mini is awesome.


I agree. If someone wants to write up a small little bit about any of these, I will include it with the link. I'm thinking exactly like how I was doing it in my flash cart thread. Either that or I could find and link a YouTube review, but I trust the opinion of a forum member more. That, and you can ask a forum member questions about it.


OK, I fixed the first post so that each entry can contain words from someone. Or, I can add links for reviews on YouTube or such, when I have a chance to get around to it. If you know of a good review for something, post a link!
Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Forlorn Drifter and 6 guests