2019 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: 2019 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Post by chupon »

Buy a fifth pinball machine and a fourth arcade cab for my arcade.

Been eyeing Bally Embryon and a 4p NBA Jam TE cab.

Just started playing Divinity 2 with the wife on PS4. I hope she sticks with it. Looks like it could be a great couples rpg.

Last - finish Steins; Gate 0 on Vita. I just started. 2.5 hours in. Will need to get all endings. I take these games real slow and usually only play when traveling for work so a 35 hour visual novel I can play for about six or seven months. This really works to my advantage and only deepens my love for Steins; Gate.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Play more games for the first time, last year I had tons of replays, and while I am sure I will replay a ton of games this year I definitely want to get around to playing games that I have wanted to play forever, and I want to do at least 1 per system, here is a list of some games I want to finally get around to playing

Nes: ducktales 2, startropics 2

Snes: Super Mario RPG

Genesis: Shining force, toejam and earl 2, sonic and knuckles(never played it believe it or not)

turbografx 16: dungeon explorer 2

sega 32x: spiderman web of fire

Master system: golden axe game that is a zelda rip off, I forget its name

turbo cd: ???? not sure

Sega cd: sonic cd(also never played it, despite owning it since I was in middle school, I am now a middle school principal and still never played it)

Game boy advance: castlevania harmony of whatever, metroid fusion

Nintendo DS: ?? not sure yet

Game boy/color: avenging spirit

PS1: ape escape, Langrisser Hikari 4 (translated) warsong on genesis is my favorite all time strategy game, rivaled only by warsong 2, also on genesis, and dragon force on saturn

PS2: Nightshade, loved ps2 shinobi and always wanted to play this game, and never did, I'm sure it aged terribly but whatever. Manhunt

Gamecube: luigis mansion, bought it at launch with my gamecube, never played it, now seems like a good time. Beyond good and evil, Metroid Prime 2 (played 1 and the wii game, never played this), maybe try zelda twilight princess

wii: not sure yet, any suggesstions? I've played all the major ones, marios, zeldas, metroid, punch out, kirbys, red steels, madworld, any hidden gens I may have missed, not into xenoblade chronicles so skip that one.

n64: castlevania: legacy of darkness

dreamcast: I hate this system, open to good games here as well, I actually own a TON of dreamcast games from my funcoland days so if you suggest it, odds are I own it, I usually play on emulator anyway though, just for convenience.

Saturn: would love to get a translated dragon force 2 to work on emulator, if not maybe I will give Mr. Bones a shot
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Pook, make Shining Force and Golden Ax Warrior high priority. Great games.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

pook99 wrote:turbografx 16: dungeon explorer 2

pook99 wrote:turbo cd: ???? not sure

:?:
Dungeon Explorer 2 is a CD game, though.

pook99 wrote:castlevania harmony of whatever

:lol: Yeah, I agree. That one.

pook99 wrote:luigis mansion

Luigi's Mansion is way cool. I really liked it.

pook99 wrote:wii: not sure yet, any suggesstions?

Muramasa. Definitely. definitely Muramasa. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is also great. I kind of might prefer the first game, though. Sonic Colors? Tatsunoko vs Capcom? I really liked the Wii version of Zero: Shinku no Chou (Fatal Frame II/Project Zero II), as well.

pook99 wrote:dreamcast: open to good games here as well

Bruh, fur real. I'll leave out a lot of the Japan only stuff, but: Last Blade 2, Bangai-O, Berserk, Resident Evil 2, 3, CV, Blue Stinger, Capcom Vs SNK (Pro/2), Chu Chu Rocket, Confidential MIssion, Crazy Taxi (2), D2, Daytona USA, DoA 2, Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, Dynamite Cop 2, E.G.G.: Elemental Gimmick Gear, Skies of Arcadia, Fighting Vipers 2, Frame Gride, Mark of the Wolves, Giga Wing (2), Golem no Maigo, Grandia II, Guilty Gear X, Gunbird 2, Gundam Side Story 0079, GunLord, Gunspike, House of the Dead 2, Hydro Thunder, Ikaruga, Illbleed, Jet Grind Radio, Kidou Senshi Gundam: Renpou vs Zeon DX, Maken X, Mars Matrix, Marvel vs Capcom (2), Project Justice, Mr Driller, Ms Pac-man Maze Madness, Phantasy Star Online, Virtua Tennis, Power Stone (2), Rayman 2, Rez, Rippin' Riders, Samba De Amigo (2000), San Francisco Rush 2049, Shenmue (II), Evolution (2), Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5 (Part 2), Street Fighter III (Double Impact/3rd Strike), THPS (2), Zero Gunner 2, Zombie Revenge. Those are just some of the ones I've spent a fair amount of time with, and could recommend.

Too many; didn't read: Elemental Gimmick Gear, Jet Grind Radio, Dynamite Cop 2, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Illbleed. In that order.

pook99 wrote:Saturn: would love to get a translated dragon force 2 to work on emulator, if not maybe I will give Mr. Bones a shot

I'm not sure if it's been translated, or if there are any guides in English, but Terra Phantastica is a really fantastic ( :mrgreen: ) tactical RPG on the Saturn. It was done by the same developer (Chime) who took over the development for Dragon Force 2, since J Force folded during the development of Dragon Force.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I don't have a whole too many gaming resolutions this year, but I figured it would be worth recording the few that I've been mulling over.

1) Write a brief post-game review/summary for every game I beat this year.
This is a continuation of my (undeclared) 2018 resolution which I accomplished. I find this practice to be a helpful way to encapsulate my thoughts regarding any particular game, and it can be interesting to return to my reviews for games I've beaten in the past. I've even considered attempting to consolidate my reviews into an archive somewhere rather than spread scattershot across various forum posts. To those that have done similar, what's a good way to go about this? What are some reliable blogging platforms, and how much time goes into maintenance? Would an offline solution be preferable? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2) Play The Witcher
I started reading the books in this series series this year, more or less in preparation for finally playing the first game in the game series. This is a bit of a tricky proposition though, because I have to be in a certain mood to embark on a game of this length, and I actually need to have the time available. Getting these factors to align properly doesn't always work in my favor. It's a heck of a lot easier for me to play long-ish RPGs on handheld platforms!

3) Play at least one game for every Together Retro (and Club Retro)
This one shouldn't be too tough to manage so long as I'm actually playing games. This was also my intent last year, but I events conspired to knock me on my ass abut halfway through the year, and it jsut didn't happen the way I would have liked. To be frank this year isn't looking a whole lot better in that capacity, but all the same, this is my intent.

4) Reach 1000 posts on Racketboy
Total e-peen nonsense, but I'd like to see that next-gen under my name. :lol: This also encourages me to be more involved both here and elsewhere. I think for a lot of folks on here this goal would be easy-peasy, but I go through phases of lurking more than posting, and sometimes not even that. So we'll see how it goes!
Last edited by nullPointer on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

nullPointer wrote:1) Write a brief post-game review/summary for every game I beat this year.
This is a continuation of my (undeclared) 2018 resolution which I accomplished. I find this practice to be a helpful way to encapsulate my thoughts regarding any particular game, and it can be interesting to return to my reviews for games I've beaten in the past. I've even considered attempting to consolidate my reviews into an archive somewhere rather than spread scattershot across various forum posts. To those that have done similar, what's a good way to go about this? What are some reliable blogging platforms, and how much time goes into maintenance? Would an offline solution be preferable? Thanks in advance for any advice.

check the link in my sig. I've been doing this for a while. I have the front page, where I keep all the games alphabetical for easy archiving. Then I update the blog w/ a quick blurb and link to the main article. I like this format because it is a quick and easy way for me to browse what I played chronologically. It's fun to go back a year or so and remember all the games I played in one specific month - sort of a reminder of what was going on at that time personally.

I've used Weebly for years. It's free and simple and easy.

Elkin keeps a similar site so you might check his as well to see other layout options. Bone used to as well, but he stopped and made me sad.

But you SHOULD do this. I wish more folks who post lengthy interesting would do the same for easily revisiting their (old) thoughts.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Well, in 2018 I only beat 4 games; Digimon Cyber Slueth: Hacker's Memory, Farcry 5, Destiny 2, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. So my goal for 2019 is to atleast beat 5 JRPGs. I'm looking at Tales of Vesperia (Ps4), Ys 1 and 2 (Steam), Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Steam), Final Fantasy 9 (Ps4), and Phantasy Star IV (Ps4). That list not set in stone as I have many other JRPGs available through Steam, PS4, and PS3. That's not even counting emulation. Switch I only have 1 JRPG, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so far, eventually I will get around to it 5 years from now at my rate :P
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

noiseredux wrote:I wish more folks who post lengthy interesting would do the same for easily revisiting their (old) thoughts.

While I don't have a website, as I just keep my reviews in a bunch of word docs, I agree that it is nice to be able to review old reviews. Partly because I'm pretty forgetful so it's nice to see what I thought of a game, and partly because some of my old reviews are so bad that they're fun to laugh at a bit :lol:
ayumarcan
8-bit

Post by ayumarcan »

Would like to participate in a chip war in RF online, but gotta lvl up my character 4 that
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@noiseredux: couldn't remember the name of the golden axe game so thanks for that, I will definitely give it a go, I know its unrelated but ax battler was literally the only game gear game I enjoyed as a kid.

pierrot wrote:
pook99 wrote:turbografx 16: dungeon explorer 2

pook99 wrote:turbo cd: ???? not sure

:?:
Dungeon Explorer 2 is a CD game, though.

pook99 wrote:castlevania harmony of whatever

:lol: Yeah, I agree. That one.

pook99 wrote:luigis mansion

Luigi's Mansion is way cool. I really liked it.

pook99 wrote:wii: not sure yet, any suggesstions?

Muramasa. Definitely. definitely Muramasa. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is also great. I kind of might prefer the first game, though. Sonic Colors? Tatsunoko vs Capcom? I really liked the Wii version of Zero: Shinku no Chou (Fatal Frame II/Project Zero II), as well.

pook99 wrote:dreamcast: open to good games here as well

Bruh, fur real. I'll leave out a lot of the Japan only stuff, but: Last Blade 2, Bangai-O, Berserk, Resident Evil 2, 3, CV, Blue Stinger, Capcom Vs SNK (Pro/2), Chu Chu Rocket, Confidential MIssion, Crazy Taxi (2), D2, Daytona USA, DoA 2, Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, Dynamite Cop 2, E.G.G.: Elemental Gimmick Gear, Skies of Arcadia, Fighting Vipers 2, Frame Gride, Mark of the Wolves, Giga Wing (2), Golem no Maigo, Grandia II, Guilty Gear X, Gunbird 2, Gundam Side Story 0079, GunLord, Gunspike, House of the Dead 2, Hydro Thunder, Ikaruga, Illbleed, Jet Grind Radio, Kidou Senshi Gundam: Renpou vs Zeon DX, Maken X, Mars Matrix, Marvel vs Capcom (2), Project Justice, Mr Driller, Ms Pac-man Maze Madness, Phantasy Star Online, Virtua Tennis, Power Stone (2), Rayman 2, Rez, Rippin' Riders, Samba De Amigo (2000), San Francisco Rush 2049, Shenmue (II), Evolution (2), Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5 (Part 2), Street Fighter III (Double Impact/3rd Strike), THPS (2), Zero Gunner 2, Zombie Revenge. Those are just some of the ones I've spent a fair amount of time with, and could recommend.

Too many; didn't read: Elemental Gimmick Gear, Jet Grind Radio, Dynamite Cop 2, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Illbleed. In that order.

pook99 wrote:Saturn: would love to get a translated dragon force 2 to work on emulator, if not maybe I will give Mr. Bones a shot

I'm not sure if it's been translated, or if there are any guides in English, but Terra Phantastica is a really fantastic ( :mrgreen: ) tactical RPG on the Saturn. It was done by the same developer (Chime) who took over the development for Dragon Force 2, since J Force folded during the development of Dragon Force.

some great suggesstions here, especially for the dreamcast, I own a vast majority of those games but they are buried in my garage, I always wanted to play illbleed so I will make that my dreamcast game for the year.

I forgot dungeon explorer 2 was on turbo cd, so I will make that my turbo cd game, I never played neutopia 2 so maybe that can be my regular turbo game.

for wii, I will probably go with sin and punishment, I played the rest on your list, enjoyed all of them.