2019 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

It is that time of the year! We only have a few short days left in 2018 and then it is time for 2019. So, let us start thinking about Gaming Goals or Resolutions in 2019.

They can be anything from more broad to more specific. Do you want to play more games? Buy less games? Yep, that could be a good resolution.

Or, maybe you want to beat some specific games? That works for a great gaming goal.

For me, I hope for 2019 to bring about some changes. I have lived in my apartment for close to 9 years and it is time for me to move out. I want more space and I want to be able to have a legitimate house. So, obviously, I will be torn away from gaming for some of the year. Then, when I get the house, I will have an urge to buy all sorts of games.

So, my main goal this year is to end 2019 on a Positive Note on my Backlog. I just want to beat more games that I bought. Like last year, I have specific goals for each console and so I will post them here and keep track of them throughout the year.

Main Goal = End 2019 With A Positive Backlog
NES = Beat Contra Without Dying
GEN = Beat Phantasy Star III
SNS = Beat Soul Blazer
N64 = Beat Mario Party
SDC = Complete Metropolis Street Racer
PS1 = Beat Jet Moto
PS2 = Beat Radiata Stories
GCN = Beat Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
XBX = Beat Half-Life 2

Many of these games, I will be playing during the beginning of the year. These are the games that I most want to play on all of my systems. I am excited for many of them as I will be continuing series' that I truly enjoy while starting new games I am very excited to play.

Contra without Dying will be a challenge. I have gotten to Level 6 before, so I think it is very doable. I have lost track of how many times I have beaten that game, so it's finely tuning my skills to make it doable.

But, let me know your Goals and Resolutions for 2019. Make 2019 your best gaming year ever! Make Progress!

More importantly, just enjoy playing games!
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: 2019 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Post by casterofdreams »

This will sound dramatic, but my gaming resolution for 2019 is to not buy anymore games. I have too many to play. Time to save and focus on gaming!

My other gaming resolution is to, well, PLAY GAMES!!!
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Hmmm. My biggest resolution would be to play less JRPG's.

I spend most of my gaming time in 2018 playing or completing one JRPG or another and probably thousands of hours combined, and is not that I don't enjoy it, but variety is the spice of life, and I'm getting to be a one trick grinding pony, so I want to diversify.

Speaking of diversifying, I want to start playing more games in genres I'm unfamiliar with, like sims, RTS and racing.

I need some refreshment and to be challenged again and that's a good way to go about it, I already have an outline of specific games to go after in my mind.

I also generally want to play more retro games than new ones, especially 'new' retro games since this year, I only really played two retro games I hadn't played before the rest were replays.

Also, and this is an important one, but since is dependent on money, we'll see how it goes.

I want to finally buy some consoles I missed but always wanted, at least 3 to 4 throughout the whole year, though I'll be happy if I at least get one.

The Mega Drive add ons 32X and Mega CD are probably at the top and the Master System closely follows, after that maybe a Game Gear, though I need a way to make it play through a TV. I don't think there's anything else I'd prefer over the Sega stuff so if I mange to get those I'll look into other stuff.

There's also some things I need t 'fix' in my existing collection so I'll regain access to my existing library for those systems again, for example my original X-Box has been busted for years now (so are my PS2's and that's my biggest library), I really need to get a new one.

I guess I'll look on this topic and see what progress I'll have made by this point next year, but we all know how new year resolutions tend to go...
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you want a super challenging racing game to grind, Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast feels fantastic but is a lot of work to make progress in. There are so many unlockables. Another racer with a lot of unlockables is Test Drive Le Mans, but knowing your completionist streak, I can’t actually recommend it. You can actually play the 24-hour race in real time to unlock some content.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

casterofdreams wrote:This will sound dramatic, but my gaming resolution for 2019 is to not buy anymore games. I have too many to play. Time to save and focus on gaming!

I agree with the second one as everybody should have that! :D

I wish you the best of luck on not buying a single game. Hopefully, you have enough to last you and that gaming urge doesn't hit you.

marurun wrote:If you want a super challenging racing game to grind, Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast feels fantastic but is a lot of work to make progress in. There are so many unlockables. Another racer with a lot of unlockables is Test Drive Le Mans, but knowing your completionist streak, I can’t actually recommend it. You can actually play the 24-hour race in real time to unlock some content.

There are so many unlockables!

When I played it before, I did enjoy the grind. It is all these incremental gains that make me feel like I am actually doing progress which really help in that game.

The main key is the game runs on 3 different continents and runs in real time. So, for example, you have to win a race in Tokyo between 18:00 - 21:00. Well, you can change the clock when the game boots up because my Dreamcast internal clock is broken, like almost all of them. So, I just have to set the clock to the right time to do the correct race and I should be able to beat it!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I don't really do these things, as I try and look longer term as a plan. My plan is much like the last year or two yet updated with some victories.

In no real order:
- Buy less, play MORE games
- Force myself to be motivated to start more games than think about doing it
- Try and finish at least a few games instead of some arbitrary point of satisfaction
- Enjoy more random games now that I'm kitted out (everdrives, sd2snes, ngpc sd kit)
- Perhaps get the N64 everdrive, or future PSone mini solution that could happen
- Perhaps get if it affordably exists a HD solution to my Core Grafx II (my last system that's not HD updated.)
- Stick to playing less systems(handheld, pc, switch) at the same time to avoid distraction
- If I find local goodies, they're either for keeps, or they're for sale so I can save for things I do need, not sit on them.**

**Sitting on them can lead to weakness of buying cheap lots of games, using something petering out over a few months then growing dust bunnies and feeling bad about it selling it anyway likely at a loss which is a waste of my limited time, money and efforts. I did this a couple years back with the GG, DC and a Wii, big mistake on all three.

2018 I wanted to work towards buying less through getting kits, and this I did hardcore as I have all but one I need. I also stopped meddling with things I wasn't sure I'd actually want to play and care for or about having so I haven't found or bought some gaming device to end up not using it. I still use the PCE I've had a year now and no regrets there.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Markies wrote:
casterofdreams wrote:This will sound dramatic, but my gaming resolution for 2019 is to not buy anymore games. I have too many to play. Time to save and focus on gaming!

I agree with the second one as everybody should have that! :D

I wish you the best of luck on not buying a single game. Hopefully, you have enough to last you and that gaming urge doesn't hit you.

I have enough games to last a lifetime. Maybe two :lol:
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

My resolution is to play more modern games, lots of great games came out last year and I played none of them so I'm looking forward to playing through my backlog.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

My big resolution is to try writing on a professional manner for some time and see if I can actually make it work.

Her's the thing: I feel I have had and keep having a lot of opportunities. I write articles and they hit well, I can tell people are interested and when I do write regularly, my views do go up in an organic manner. I really think there's potential here and I squander it by not writing or not updating regularly.

I used to leave writing aside because I thought I should focus on getting a "real job" but given all the "real jobs" I'm getting are 15-day teleoperator contracts, yeah, I think I should give it a try. I've actually talked with a friend to produce some video articles and we are going to see if we can produce them in both Spanish and English. I think there's room for the kind of content I want to do and I can carve a niche. So let's see how it goes.

--

My other resolutions are:

1) To finish my Retrogaming setup by adding a graphics card to my PC and connecting it to my monitors. This should allow me to stream games while playing them as intended and I think that would give me the drive to try and beat retrogames instead of just playing them for 10 minutes and quitting.

2) To get into VTES or any other "lifestyle game" now that Netrunner is gone.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Erik_Twice wrote:My big resolution is to try writing on a professional manner for some time and see if I can actually make it work.

Her's the thing: I feel I have had and keep having a lot of opportunities. I write articles and they hit well, I can tell people are interested and when I do write regularly, my views do go up in an organic manner. I really think there's potential here and I squander it by not writing or not updating regularly.

I used to leave writing aside because I thought I should focus on getting a "real job" but given all the "real jobs" I'm getting are 15-day teleoperator contracts, yeah, I think I should give it a try. I've actually talked with a friend to produce some video articles and we are going to see if we can produce them in both Spanish and English. I think there's room for the kind of content I want to do and I can carve a niche. So let's see how it goes.

--

My other resolutions are:

1) To finish my Retrogaming setup by adding a graphics card to my PC and connecting it to my monitors. This should allow me to stream games while playing them as intended and I think that would give me the drive to try and beat retrogames instead of just playing them for 10 minutes and quitting.

2) To get into VTES or any other "lifestyle game" now that Netrunner is gone.

I fully endorse your writing pursuits. I very much enjoy your board/card game commentary and find your analysis very fascinating! Go for it!

As for my gaming resolutions for 2019, there is only one. I'm building a paper and pencil rpg system for my own personal use (I am in no way thinking of commercially selling because honestly there is no money in rpg systems). The system is completely built and the players guide is written in a rough draft stage, but I need to write the GMs guide and a campaign setting book.

I am super excited about it because I feel like it is a genuinely good system and can not wait to play test it with friends later this month.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.