Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
LordHawk

- This is looks authentic? - (Help sealed experts)

by LordHawk Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Guys, I need your help.
What you think about this sealed Sonic 1 game?

From what I read on the internet this RGA company is a scum, but my interest is in the game.

Through this photo you are able to say that the game is authentic and sealed?

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: - This is looks authentic? - (Help sealed experts)

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 am

On one hand it's got that old Kay-Bee sticker lending to its authenticity. On the other hand Kay-Bee is a jerk for reselling it! :lol:

The seam on top looks like it's from the factory and not some quick reseal to me but I'm not an expert or anything.
LordHawk

by LordHawk Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:13 am

Gunstar Green wrote:On one hand it's got that old Kay-Bee sticker lending to its authenticity. On the other hand Kay-Bee is a jerk for reselling it! :lol:

The seam on top looks like it's from the factory and not some quick reseal to me but I'm not an expert or anything.

Thx anyway. :lol:

I hope someone can help me. :(
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

I don’t see your images, man.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 am

It looks legit to me, but I don't know for sure. I'm FAR from an expert.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am

The not for resale copies were included with consoles, no? Which means they would have been in the box and probably not shrinkwrapped to begin with. If that was shrinkwrapped for resale, it would inherently have been re-wrapped by the store.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 pm

marurun wrote:The not for resale copies were included with consoles, no? Which means they would have been in the box and probably not shrinkwrapped to begin with. If that was shrinkwrapped for resale, it would inherently have been re-wrapped by the store.

I thought about that as well and can't really confirm if it was sealed or not or if Sega ever shipped it as an add-on to move earlier systems.

Genesis games are weird in that some have the hanging tab wrapped in and some have a hole for it to poke out. One thing in this game's favor is it only has seams on the top and bottom. It's hard to tell without actually touching it beyond that because Sega used a harder plastic for its shrinkwrap which is pretty recognizable and has often gotten brittle over time.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:44 pm

I'm just curious... what would the difference be if it was sealed at the factory or re-sealed later in terms of collectability?
Either way it's sealed up in a plastic box declaring it authentic: obviously this isn't a game anyone ever intends to open and play. I feel like beyond that point "authenticity" becomes kind of meaningless.

Like others have observed, this is a strange product. The "not for resale" version should have been inside the box with the Sega Genesis. MAYBE it was originally shrinkwrapped, but maybe not. But then for KB Toys to put a price tag on it has weird implications: either they opened up the box and sold the game separately despite the game being labeled as not for resale. I don't know if KB Toys ever accepted trade-ins, but I could imagine this being sold used and having been shrink-wrapped by the store. The fact that the price on the price tag has been removed while the KB Toys logo remains makes me suspicious - perhaps to hide a suspiciously low price (ie a copy of Sonic selling for $10 obviously wouldn't have been the original sale-point). My gut feeling is that someone might have bought the game used, took off the price, and got it graded by this shady RGA company. I'm far from an expert on sealed games, but I wouldn't really trust it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Images are gone, maybe someone very carefully lifted the old sticker off something else and transplanted it. KayBee was not in the business of second hand games.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm

Something doesn't add up... like the others have already said the not for resale version came packed in with the system. It shouldn't have a Kaybee toys price sticker as they were not in the business of taking pack-ins and reselling them. While its possible this is all legit... I'd pass and look for a proper retail edition if I were in the market for sealed games.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread | My Collection Spreadsheet
Return to General Gaming