What is your GOTY for 2018? (*RELEASED* in 2018)?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: What is your GOTY for 2018? (*RELEASED* in 2018)?

Post by Sarge »

Not sure I can order them, as I gave them all 9.0/10.

The Messenger
Octopath Traveler
Iconoclasts
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

All of these were fantastic games, and the best 'new to me' games I've played this year.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

I don't see the point in mentioning any other game, only the top game can be 'game of the year' is not like I played a million new releases anyway, and of course all this is subjective.

Dragon Quest XI is not only my game of the year, but of the generation so far, that's not saying much, since newer games are very disappointing to me compared to past generations. But this still manged to give me a vanilla JRPG experience like I haven't seen in awhile.

That is not to say the game is perfect, the story is pretty generic but generally 'inoffensive' and there are a few things wrong with the gameplay also, especially the way I ended up experiencing it (Draconian x6). But is still better than 99% of JRPG's released these days in general, it especially put Final Fantasy XV into perspective on how bad as an experience it was as a comparison.

Also technically this game was released in 2017 in Japan but obviously is the western release that counts in this case!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Man...more of you guys need to play Part Time UFO, my GOTY 2018.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Man...more of you guys need to play Part Time UFO, my GOTY 2018.

It was the best iOS game I played this year, too!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sarge wrote:The Messenger
Iconoclasts
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

I got these three recently and they seem pretty woke. Definitely my top three "new games I played briefly but didn't finish in 2018"... I'll play them in earnest come 2030 or so.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I found a 30min clip of it, and it's still going, but that looks like a pretty fun but exacting extreme claw machine skill game device expansion into a full game and not bad for $4. I bet my kid would eat this up big time, she wants one of those home little girl kiddie ones you can get at the store for Christmas if she asks for it again.

Ok 30min later, that tune is so easy and nice it's stuck in my head. At least it's not bad. :)
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I played a lot of great games this year, but not a lot of them came out this year, so after some checking, here are some of my favorites:

Timespinner (PS4): A kickstarter project I backed years and years ago and nearly forgot about until it came out and blew me away. A beautiful homage to Symphony of the Night with a story that's honestly shockingly well put together and full of great representation for a game coming out in 2018, let alone in the Metroidvania genre.

La-Mulana 2 (Steam): Another Kickstarter game I kickstarted ages back, but one I've been fervently following for the entire time it's been in development. A fantastic follow-up to one of my favorite indie games ever, and I could not have had a more fun time discovering my way through La-Mulana myself after discovering the original through a Let's Play. Definitely a game that will frustrate and confuse most sensible people, but a game I love to bits because I'm a weirdo :P

Iconoclasts (Steam): Another indie Metroidvania that I loved. Where Timespinner is more Symphony of the Night, Iconoclasts' run'n'gun mechanics make it feel a lot more like Cave Story or something of the like. Lots of tight platforming, great bosses, and a really neat story with a world slowly introduced through dialogue as the story goes on made this an absolute blast. All on top of having also one of the best portrayals of a silent protagonist I've ever seen as well as having one of my favorite villains I've seen in a game ^w^

Super Mario Party (Switch): The best Mario Party game ever. The best party games it's ever been, and the best board game it's ever been. One of many stellar games in an established series on the Switch to come out this year :D

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch): The best Smash Bros there's ever been, for sure. I've put a TON of time into it since it came out last Friday, and all the characters, the stages, music, are all just icing on the cake of the incredible detail that's gone into the insane amount of single-player content.

Kirby: Star Allies (Switch): Last on my list of excellent new entries (that I played) in Nintendo series is this! Co-op in Kirby back and better than ever as it has 4 players! Definitely my least favorite out of the games on here, but I've had a good deal of fun playing it with my friends and also by myself. It's another good Kirby game, but this time with the perk of being playable with a bunch of friends <3

And finally, my game of the year:

Vampyr (PS4): After being pretty underwhelmed by Fist of the North Star, this game gave me all the Yakuza-style gameplay I could want and more. A great story with tons of character, and a lore they really went out of their way to flesh out, this Bloodborne-y aesthetic on a Yakuza-ish gameplay loop was the #1 game to win my heart this year. Not everyone will be able to really gel with all the dialogue, but it's one that I had an absolute joy of a time with ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

I got too many HD Remasters this year to even remember which games where new releases. My GOTY would have to be Digimon: Cyber Slueth: Hacker's Memory. Runner ups being Smash Ultimate and Divinity 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

My personal favorite game of the year was likely Battletech. It's the Battletech TBS I've wanted on PC since I was a kid and it really delivered. I was more hyped for this game than I've been for any other game in years.

In the same vein, Into The Breach was a fantastic Kaiju vs Robot mini-strategy game, full of the kind of simple but clever gameplay I'd expect from the developers of FTL.

There are a few games I'd like to play and I know I'm going to love but I probably won't get around to it before the end of the year such as Dead Cells which I'm getting for Christmas and DUSK which just recently released but I'm a bit tapped out on holiday spending.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I only played one 2018 game this year (Death Mark), so it's not really much of a choice :lol: There are a fair number of games from this year that I want to play, but this year just didn't line up for me playing many newer games. Nothing wrong with that though, since I still had fun with plenty of other games. That being said, Death Mark is a really good spooky, adventury, visual novel so it would probably would be high up on my best 2018 games regardless.