What is your GOTY for 2018? (*RELEASED* in 2018)?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: What is your GOTY for 2018? (*RELEASED* in 2018)?

Post by pierrot »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I am champing at the bit

I didn't play anything released this year, but yo, Bogus, I see you using the correct form of that expression. I don't even remember the last time I'd seen or heard it used properly. I got so giddy about it that I had to comment.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pierrot wrote:

I didn't play anything released this year, but yo, Bogus, I see you using the correct form of that expression. I don't even remember the last time I'd seen or heard it used properly. I got so giddy about it that I had to comment.

It has been a while. I haven’t seen anyone use it since 2016:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=50224&hilit=Champing&start=180
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I haven't played either of the three BIG games I hear everyone talk about - Spiderman, Shadow of the Colossus, and God of War - but of the games that released this year that I have played, I think I gotta give it to Smash Ultimate. I'm normally a mild Smash fan at best, but they really outdid themselves with this one with a full fledged adventure mode that could be its own game, a unique classic mode for each of the 70+ characters, and tons of other content.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
pierrot wrote:

It has been a while. I haven’t seen anyone use it since 2016:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=180

Whoa hoho you may have an excellent grasp on idioms, but did you know you can link directly to posts?
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1039568
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I just played enough Tetris Effect (PSVR) in the last 12 hours to know that it belongs on my list for the year...

The game is Tetris + Lumines + Rez....with an astoundingly good soundtrack and beautiful trippy-as-fuck all encompassing visuals.

It was $20 New at Gamestop yesterday, if anyone is looking for a deal on it.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Its pretty close between mega man 11 and bloodstained curse of the moon, I think MM 11 edges it out by a hair but they are both phenomenal games
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I beat way more retro games this year. Made a thread for our favorites here.

For modern 2018 releases, I guess these are my favorites:

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna The Golden Country (Switch)
2. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
3. Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
4. Soul Calibur VI (PC)
5. Dusk (PC)
6. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
7. Mega Man 11 (PS4)
8. Super Smash Bros: Ultimate (Switch)

Other new games I got to this year that I really enjoyed:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
Nioh (PS4)
Black Mesa (PC) [May2018]

For fun reference, these were my 2017 favorites:

1. Nier Automata
2. Zelda Breath of the Wild
3. Sonic Mania
4. Yakuza 0
5. The Evil Within 2
6. Prey
7. Metroid Samus Returns
8. Super Mario Odyssey
9. Tekken 7
10. Resident Evil 7
Ordinary Gamer
8-bit

Post by Ordinary Gamer »

My favorites, though I didn't actually play some of them until this year like Astrobot and The Messenger

The Messenger - The closest we'll get to a new, NES era Ninja Gaiden game. It's challenging, full of surprises, and has great characters and dialog (some of which is surprisingly deep and insightful in a game that is otherwise focused on comedy).

ASTROBOT - Mario in VR, but more fun than any Mario game I've ever played. A true modern classic and I don't use that word lightly

Super Daryl Deluxe - A fun beat 'em up/RPG/Metroid mix that features great writing, tons of humor, a great animated art style, and a bizzare, wacky world and cast of characters that draws you in like a good adult oriented cartoon. Even if you have no interest in the game, you all need to go to youtube and look up "The Legend of Daryl" theme song. It's great

Mark of the Ninja Remastered - One of the best stealth games ever reaches a new audience and gets a visual upgrade

Mega Man X Legacy Collection - I could have done without the ridiculous, blasphemous, embarrassing, fire whoever came up with it, X Challenge mode. Still, it's nice to see Capcom remembering this series along with classic Mega Man with the release of Mega Man 11. Hopefully, someday we get a quality new Mega Man X game

Castlevania Requiem - Like the above, I just like seeing old classics like Rondo and Symphony of the Night get re-released, especially with a nice, shiny, Platinum waiting to be attained.

Gal*Gun 2 - I know these games are controversial, mostly due to the assumption that they are sexual in nature. They aren't, that's basically the big joke that goes over the heads of people who judge the games without playing them. Anyway, I enjoy the series. This isn't necessarily better than Double Peace, but it has its own charm. Risu was a very likable character. Hard to find games with this style of gameplay these days with the only other recent example I can think of being Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Gal*Gun games are so silly and ridiculous I don't understand people getting offended by them.

Starlink Battle for Atlus - Well, it's not a new Starfox, but it's the next best thing, and it's better than Starfox Zero. The Switch version is the way to go with this one, even though it has some visual/performance issues when compared to other console versions. Team Starfox really elevates the experience of playing this game.

Donut County - A bite-sized Katamari Damacy. You'll finish it in just 2 or 3 hours, but it'll be a fun, charming, and relaxing 2-3 hours

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - About as perfect a throwback to 8-bit Castlevania as you can get