What are the top 4 consoles of all time?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
shwisha
32-bit

What are the top 4 consoles of all time?

Post by shwisha »

My top 4 would be... (these aren't my personal favorites but the ones I think had the biggest impact)

1. Atari 2600 - It showed the home console was a viable product.
2. NES - it showed gaming was far from dead and so much more.
3. Playstation - it made gaming mainstream.
4. Xbox 360 - it perfected modern gaming.... we're still here in my opinion.

Note I didn't include handhelds in my list and that brings up a whole other conversation over the switch. I think the switch is another smart marketing move by Nintendo but in the grand scheme of things I'm not convinced it's more important than the systems I've listed. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.
Tecmo Pro - My Tecmo Super Bowl Blog.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What are the top 4 consoles of all time?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Well duh! The obvious answer is Sega Genesis four times. :wink:
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Saturn
Genesis
XBOX
SNES

But this list is super super super subjective.

Fanboy over games not consoles.

But I will fight you over the Saturn.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Emerson Arcadia 2001
Amiga CD32
Pegasus Computer Family Game
Zeebo

I’m not explaining why these consoles are the greatest. I hate discussion, and you should just know.

/thread
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Easy list.

NES
SNES
Genesis
PC Engine
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

1. Sega Saturn - the replay value is off of the charts with games like Dragon Force, Saturn Bomber an Dark Savior and Burning Rangers. It features one of, if not the best jrpg ever made in panzer dragoon saga. It had the best arcade ports of fighting games, the best non analog stick controller and was the place for SHMUPS.

2. PS2 - It hurts my nostalgic kid heart to say this as I was an avid dream cast fan, but looking at it now it is a spectacular place for some of the most insane software titles. Robot Alchemical Drive, Road Trip, Mr. Mosquito, Chulip.... all insane. Add to it some of the most iconic entries to popular franchises such as Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Virtua Fighter, metal gear solid, grand theft auto and much more. It really was a big player.

3. N64 - The king of 3d platformers, the king of local multi-player and the father of the analog thumbstick.

4. Sega Genesis - Shining Force, Sonic, Phantasy Star, Landstalker, the best version of mortal Kombat, streets of rage, shinobi and so much more. I love the system. When it's music is on point it is infinitely better than any snes music.

5. Wii - Mario galaxy is stupendous, tons of hidden gems, the modern messiah for light gun games and the harbinger of old games in the virtual console. I also love motion controls a lot... Yes I am stupid.

Yes I listed a top 5 because top 4 seems strange to me.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

My favorites:
  1. SNES
  2. N64
  3. Dreamcast
  4. Xbox 360
Fifth would be the PS2.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

For me it is not which consoles are the best but which of their libraries are the best. (Which it turn relies of course on your genre preferences.)

In no particular order:

Gameboy Advance
Genesis
Playstation one
SNES
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, the top 4 consoles could be settled empirically by simply looking at total unit sales, or comparative unit sales at the time, or even corporate profitability. Otherwise it's just a case of listing your favorites.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

marurun wrote:Well, the top 4 consoles could be settled empirically by simply looking at total unit sales, or comparative unit sales at the time, or even corporate profitability. Otherwise it's just a case of listing your favorites.

Nothing wrong with listing favorites and talking about why. Especially when we see our opinions change over time.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.