What to love about Modern gaming

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

What to love about Modern gaming

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Companion thread to getting fed up.

As annoyed as I am with Censorship, mandatory season passes, and EA, Ubisoft and Activision acting like they are the industry, there is plenty to like too.

-Retro clone consoles, the AVS, the Analog systems, the Ehhh efforts from hyperkin the Promising Polymega it's easy to play old games.

- controllers, Switch,PS4,Xbox all have fantastic controllers. .

- Death of region locks

- long ass console cycles, Next Gen rumors are only just Starting so I figure PS4 and Xbone have 2 years maybe 3 tops. XBOX One X only came out last year so yeah.

- The Switch I'm no Nintendo fanboy but the Switch is just fantastic. I am addicted to Splatoon 2, I love all the Shmups on it and with the right Dongle you can literally use any controller you want on it.

There is stuff I'm probably forgetting so let's discuss.
pook99
128-bit

Re: What to love about Modern gaming

Post by pook99 »

I love all the great retro style games that have modern day conveniences ie: infinite lives, save systems etc.

I love that modern day hard games are typically hard for all the right reasons as opposed to just to lengthen game time.

I love watching how my favorite franchises have evolved, stuff like mega man 11, mario odyssey, street fighter V etc

I love the scope and story of some of the better AAA stuff out there.

I love the variety of genres and how there is something for everyone in todays gaming landscape.

I love the detailed worlds that are created in many AAA games nowadays, stuff like resident evil 7 is just an atmospheric masterpiece and it simply could not exist until now
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I don't like Street Fighter V, too esports focused, but Mario Odyssey is indeed an instant classic.

Another game I LOVED is Doom 2016. I'm not big on Western games but Doom was amazing. I hope Eturnal has more of those epic boss fights.

Yakuza is now my favorite series ever.

I love that the Switch is an indie paradise so many hidden gems.

Rogue lites are growing on me they provide interesting challenges.

Nicalis that company is the secks.
Code of Princess EX is everything I want from a game.

Persona 5 might be the best in the Series...Ann and Futaba are Waifu.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The vastness of it all. They could stop making games tomorrow and I'd probably still have enough to keep me entertained for the rest of my life.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

When the Sunsets on Switch how many games will it have? we're almost done with Year 2 and we're over 1000
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Dikdikvandik wrote:When the Sunsets on Switch how many games will it have? we're almost done with Year 2 and we're over 1000

Hard to say, since it highlights one of the generally positive things about modern gaming: outstanding multiplatform (and multigeneration) support, largely thanks to excellent developer tools and engines. It lets a new platform (or simply the PC) end up getting ports in a timely fashion, making (and keeping) games widely available.

Granted, it has served to make individual platforms less "special", with the hardware reflecting that - not really a problem exactly, but it makes the landscape less exciting for enthusiasts.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Merging Handhelds with Consoles is the smartest thing Nintendo ever did. The Wii Sold well but it didn't have the attach rate and the Wii U honestly wasn;t a great system. So Nintendo hasn't had a great system since the Gamecube or even the N64.

But they always did handheld right. So merging was smart.

I hope moving forward they make switch an evolving platform like Microsoft is doing with XBOX.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Official arcade perfect emulation is a big one for me.

There was a long stretch where anyone wanting to play an arcade game would need to live in close proximity to a cabinet, actually own one, purchase pricey MVS carts and PCBs, and/or use MAME. Now we have official releases of old arcade games featuring multiple difficulty configurations, display options, online leaderboards, etc. My Switch is basically an arcade machine haha.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I wish the Capcom Beatemup collection had Scanline options.

I love the Variety of Neo Geo but I just want a Switch version of Ninja Master's ADK's hidden gem.

Nintendo arcade games too, my Switch is home to.my Quest for 100k in Donkey Kong.

Cheesy as the Presentation is the Data East games are ported with great care. Even though they're intoduced by the least interested announcer ever.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm glad the Capcom Beatem up collection on Switch has a physical release overseas so I can import it as does Okami. Once that brawler package comes out next month I'm looking to import it after that.