Nominate the Best 2D/Retro Games of 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Nominate the Best 2D/Retro Games of 2018

Post by racketboy »

I was meaning to get a jump on this earlier, but it slipped my mind....
We did a similar discussion and resulting guide last year and I found it very useful for us that don't stay on top of current gen stuff as much but want to be aware of old-school goodness.

Here's the guide for last year
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best ... es-of-2017

Let me know what games we should include for 2018.
It doesn't have to be sprite based necessarily (although sometimes preferred), but needs to have an old-school feel.
If you can chime in about what makes the game great or give a brief synopsis, that would be awesome too.

We will primarily highlight brand new games or remakes from the year.
However, like with last year, we will also highlight some of the retro stuff that got digital or physical releases this year despite having an original release in a previous year.

Edit: Here's the completed round-up http://www.racketboy.com/retro/the-best ... es-of-2018
Ack

Re: Nominate the Best 2D/Retro Games of 2018

Post by Ack »

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon immediately comes to mind. It captures the feel of old school Castlevania in 8-bit glory, but it also throws in multiple endings, challenging ways to play, a boss attack mode, and more. The sprites look incredible, the boss fights are challenging and entertaining, and levels have a variety of branches that an astute player can use to speed through. This game is well worth checking out
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'd co-sign Bloodstained for sure. Though my 2D GOTY is Dead Cells without a doubt. It's basically a roguelike Metroidvania... except instead of being as trite and buzz-word cringey as that description implies... it's really really really great. Also, does Octopath Traveler count? Because that's another top tier release this year.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:I'd co-sign Bloodstained for sure. Though my 2D GOTY is Dead Cells without a doubt. It's basically a roguelike Metroidvania... except instead of being as trite and buzz-word cringey as that description implies... it's really really really great. Also, does Octopath Traveler count? Because that's another top tier release this year.

Yeah, I think Octopath Traveler counts. It definitely takes the retro styling to the next level, but it has heavy 2D/old-school influences.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Octopath for sure. I'm not coming up with much in the realm of new games. Mega Man 11 I suppose and maybe Kirby Star Allies?

There have been a ton of ports and re-releases this year, especially on the Switch. The World Ends With You: Final Remix, Donkey Kong Arcade Archives, Sonic Mania Plus, Capcom Beatem Up Collection, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Sega Genesis Classics, and Castlevania Requiem just to name a few.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

These are still helpful -- good remakes and compilations have value for this guide for sure.
Indie games are good too, but definitely preferred if they have solid distribution on mainstream channels like Steam, XBLA, PSN, Switch etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah Switch got a lot of insanely cool compilations this year. That SNK 40th Anniversary one, the Psykio ones in Japan, the Capcom Beat-Em-Up one (JPN, phsyical)... Okami HD (Japan, physical) as well.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

There are probably a bunch, but these are the ones that come to mind:

Celeste
Iconoclasts
Into the Breach
The Messenger
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I would like to point out games like into the breach and dead cells as candidates for sure.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

+1 for Dead Cells