Best platform for Shmups? Discuss

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Best platform for Shmups? Discuss

Post by Tanooki »

Well said pierrot. I think I get where you're coming from now.

I started out mostly preferring horizontal too, but now I really don't care about direction. I didn't know there was a sub-genre riff where you have actual memorization stuff. I just feel any of those bullethell clustered games fall into it because you really need to memorize the patterns and when to wiggle into a space or you're basically fubar in my experience so I've just given up on that stuff entirely outside of watching clips on occasion. I won't touch any of the Cave, Toaplan or any company stuff since that type of play took off as it's infuriating. Also if R-type falls into that, it probably explains why I loathe the franchise outside of #3 on SNES which I could tolerate and enjoy enough at points to own it at one time. Oddly enough Andro Dunos on the Neo Geo is basically a weird blend of the Gradius power/leveling system and the art style of R-Type and a feel of something between the two and it's oddly quite enjoyable.

All the shooters I've bought in the last few years have been NeoGeo cartridge boards for my arcade machine. I've picked up for it Andro Dunos, Blazing Star, Captain Tomaday, Ghost Pilots, Strikers 1945 Plus, and the cab came with some stuff which included both Sonic Wings (Aerofighters) 2 and 3. I do have most the shooters for the system, not a fan of Pulstar or Last Resort though they like Zed Blade and Alpha MIssion 2 are on my 161in1 anyway.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Chronicles mode in the PS4 Darius burst.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Saturn and 360 would be at the top of my list, closely followed by MVS and DC. Pretty much anything in my wheelhouse can be had on these 4 platforms.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Can I just say this thread it great :)
When the dust settles, I might have to craft excepts of the conversation into an article :)
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Tanooki wrote:
All the shooters I've bought in the last few years have been NeoGeo cartridge boards for my arcade machine. I've picked up for it Andro Dunos, Blazing Star, Captain Tomaday, Ghost Pilots, Strikers 1945 Plus, and the cab came with some stuff which included both Sonic Wings (Aerofighters) 2 and 3. I do have most the shooters for the system, not a fan of Pulstar or Last Resort though they like Zed Blade and Alpha MIssion 2 are on my 161in1 anyway.

I love Neo Geo Shmups I can't bet I slept on the system when I Started this thread. Prehistoric isle 2 is greatness. But on the minus side, too many R-type clones.