Anyone have to keep young kids gaming enthusiasm in check?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have to keep young kids gaming enthusiasm in chec

Post by racketboy »

Erik_Twice wrote:This is a really interesting conversation. I'm not a father but I've often thought about what would happen if I were and what my hildren would think of my games and such.

It is interesting! Every kid is different though. I didn't push too hard with my son -- he had a natural curiosity with devices and watching me play Sonic and the rest is history. In hindsight, I wish I didn't indulge him too much early on. I really didn't do much, but I should have been a little more guarded, but it's fun to see you kids enjoy your hobby, as you can imagine.
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Anyone have to keep young kids gaming enthusiasm in chec

Post by racketboy »

Little update: the ticket system is working REALLY well for the little guy. Of course, he was really looking forward to getting screen time reinstated. Even though he now only gets 3 tickets per day standard (he can lose them via bad behavior) which are worth 10 minutes each, he's actually really excited about the ticket system.

Even though he probably used to get 2 to 3 hours of screen time some day in the past (and then whine with it was time to turn it off), he has done really well about rationing his tickets and turning off the stuff when timer goes off. There where even some times he would only use 1 or 2 tickets at a time and save some for later. Of course he does remind us to not start the timer until the game is done loading, etc, but he's been really respectful and understanding.