Disc Rot .. This can't be right... :'(

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Disc Rot .. This can't be right... :'(

Post by Gunstar Green »

I want to add that a few tiny pin holes in a disc isn't necessarily indicative of disc rot. Most discs, especially CDs, are prone to tiny manufacturing defects, as isiolia already touched on, that shouldn't have any effect on readability. If there's a tiny hole or two in one of your discs under a bright light, don't panic that's just how they are. If there are a lot of holes or serious discoloration, then you can panic.

DVDs and Blu-rays are much more protected from this than CDs because their reflective layer is sandwiched between the plastic and not the label itself like on CDs.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I like to panic tho! hehe

Thanks for the info everyone :P
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Dikdikvandik wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I've actually seen disc rot on some earlier PS1 and Dreamcast games a friend owned, and they look like little square chunks, in my experience. And like the previous poster said, it has more to do with flaws in the manufacturing process of those early CD/DVD discs. I'm not aware of any such problem occurring on Blu-Rays, although that doesn't mean it certainly doesn't exist.

Never saw disc rot on PS1 games ever, Nor dreamcast but I hear it happens with a lot of Capcom games.

I have 2 cases of disc rot on Saturn, Salamander which removed the boss music from Salamander 2 and X-Men VS Street fighter which does nothing to the game play at all.

Man... that sucks. JPN Salamander isn't cheap.

Scares me a bit... :(

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5