Aiming in PC games with full controller support vs Console

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Re: Aiming in PC games with full controller support vs Conso

Post by SuperDerpBro »

:P :mrgreen:

Well, i cannot decide because of this. Shadow of the Tomb Raider.. PS4 or Steam? Been mulling it over all day lol :/
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

*shrugs* I'd just get the Steam release since I hate the restrictions of consoles. But if you're adamant about 30FPS, then the PS4 version is the one for you since from a short YouTube video I watched that version runs at 30FPS with the occasional dip to 25.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

You prefer 30FPS? Dang I can’t imagine playing at that unless I was on console and had no choice. On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!

Back on topic: I too generally prefer gamepad over K&M for most games I play. The only exceptions I make are for CRPGs like Pillars of Eternity and strategies like Divinity Original Sin and XCOM.

As for gamepads: I don’t recall having an issue with them before. Some games remove aim assist even with gamepad support. Sensitivity I had no issues. I didn’t have one issue though, with Prey (new game), where the dead zone on the sticks were too tigh and the sticks were loose. I’d move without touching the controller. Still can’t find a way around this yet.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!

Sigged.

Back on topic: I too generally prefer gamepad over K&M for most games I play. The only exceptions I make are for CRPGs like Pillars of Eternity and strategies like Divinity Original Sin and XCOM.

I find this amusing as I remember a PCGamer article naming XCOM as one of the best games to play with a gamepad.

I didn’t have one issue though, with Prey (new game), where the dead zone on the sticks were too tigh and the sticks were loose. I’d move without touching the controller. Still can’t find a way around this yet.

There is an episode of The Crate and Crowbar podcast wherein Tom Francis recalls his trouble with Prey's controller support being broken with a new update. I think it was either this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNExCBu93CY or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRoyGcvzpyM
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I prefer 30 or 60fps more or less locked. I'm not uptight about it if the game runs right and isn't persistently sluggish. It becomes a problem when you're in the mid 20s and under when it is an issue, lower you go the more genres suck by that standard. I don't get the wet dream of having 120fps or whatever, the eye can only take in so much.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I just like the way 30 FPS looks :P

Remember, I've been playing console my whole life (i'm 40 :/) and PC for a couple years. If i played twitchy fast paced games, or games against human controlled enemy's, i can totally see needing/wanting as many fps as possible. But id still think it looks dumb! LOL. But i rarely play them and when i do play an FPS its single player campaign only (I am trying the new order ATM). I play slow cinematic third person games (like 500+ hours in Skyrim and the same in Witcher 3, fallout 3/4). Stealth games. RPG games.... ect. I really dont like the look of 40+ FPS. I know this gets made fun of a lot but i feel like 30 is more "cinematic." Which is perfect for what i play.

Plus my 1070 will last a looooooong time for 30 FPS gaming lol. And only has to work at like 50% max because i also never play games above high.. even if i can. I mean locked to 30 i can max out pretty much anything at 1080p but i dont because it makes going back to console exclusives to jarring lol. The only things i ever max/ultra is draw distance in games like the Witcher 3. Anything less is horrible in that game. Heck, my old R7 265 can play Witcher 3 at a pretty stable 30 on high (no ultra draw distance) lol
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I totally get it man. You built a comfort level and that’s what makes ya happy. I dig it. And yes that 1070 will last quite a long time with the goals you have in mind. One suggestion: if you haven’t already, download Nvidia Inspector. Great little tool where one of the features allows you to lock frame rates so you don’t have to deal with ups and downs constantly.

Tanooki: everyone’s eyes are different so I can only speak for myself but as a user of high refresh monitors, I can personally see difference all the way up to 240FPS. There are a number of videos on YouTube that y’all about what the human eye can perceive and such. Interesting stuff. Now whether a particular GPU setup can get games that high is another topic for discussion.

GSZX1337: I’m flattered :lol:
XCOM was easy to click stuff. I never tried a controller. It’s got similarities to the rebooted Shadowrun games so it was more natural. The Prey thing must have been broken by an update because I finished it with the same controller about two months prior to that new game + update where they released Mooncrash too.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Nvidia Inspector is great. Though i mostly used it for my mining rigs i do have it installed on this PC. I've never used to to limit frame rate though. I didn't even know it could do that lol. I prefer the in game option, If available, and adaptive half refresh rate vsync in Nvidia control panel if not.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

I can see this being a problem for me in the near future. I'm downsizing my console collections to just ps4/switch and currently at the blue print drafting stage of building my first desktop. I have an okay Windows 10 prebuilt so I'm already seeing my disdain for keyboard and mouse. Like playing Pillars of Eternity I was constantly thinking to myself this would be sooo much better if a controller, that and carpal tunnel acting up on a keyboard :P Had to quit Starwars Old Republic cause of that. I still play WoW but only hit numbers 1-5 keys with my left hand, if I want to cast anything else, mouse pointer :P So it's more I have 20+ years of comfort using a controller compared to a keyboard and mouse. And if a game is multiplat I'm getting the PS4 game. As for PC fps games, I do want to play the older ones like Crysis and Fear, but I'm avoiding any PC Online multiplayer fps games where people can spawn in with a sniper rifle.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Yeah, I've noticed this. I don't know how common it is and haven't seen it on a ton of games, mostly on those without console ports. It seems to me like they just mapped the mouse to the stick, and theres still mouse acceleration. Might be wrong though, I'm crap with this stuff.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP