Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
32-bit

Why is a used Wii u still so expensive?

by SuperDerpBro Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:25 am

Been looking around for a used console. They aren't insanely expensive or anything. However, i've found many Xbox Ones and PS4s for cheaper than the average Wii U? I just bought a backup loose PS3 for $69 CAD (plus $20 shipping) on eBay. What is making it hold its value these days? Slightly more rare because not many people bought it? Because of the game pad?

:mrgreen:
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Re: Why is a used Wii u still so expensive?

by GSZX1337 Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:27 am

Supply could have something to do with it as I was told by a GameStop manager that Nintendo recalled all of their Wii-Us prior to the Switch launch. I'm guessing the second screen has something to do with it as well. It would cost a bit more to ship a loose Wii U than say a PS4 due to the size of the controller. I also see eBayers split the controller and console into separate listings, which I think drives up the price for a complete console.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 am

My guess: sellers are capitalizing on very late interest of the console. Maybe it has something to do with hacking, maybe it has something to do with a lot of first-party games being re-released for the Switch and people are seeking the cheaper alternative.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 am

Nintendo never released the screen controller as standalone in the US, correct?

I'd imagine that's impacting the used market.

Such a weird decision that is going to make getting a nice one 15 years from now rough. Think about how many will be cracked or badly scratched.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they only did that in JPN.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 am

I think it's supply. I had to ask my local pawn shop to reserve one for me after mine got robbed from my parent's place. There just aren't as many around, and/or people are holding on to their hardware longer than the competition. I know if I was in a pinch, that would be the last to go from that generation. It's just that capable. The virtual HD WII is worth the asking price.
Also, got 2 screens because the robbers forgot to grab it. What to do with a second screen controller?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
32-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 am

Send it to me so i can buy a cheap bare console! :P

I think i will buy a NIB one.. Cheapest i can find is 450 CAD tho :/
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:11 am

Anapan wrote:I think it's supply. I had to ask my local pawn shop to reserve one for me after mine got robbed from my parent's place. There just aren't as many around, and/or people are holding on to their hardware longer than the competition. I know if I was in a pinch, that would be the last to go from that generation. It's just that capable. The virtual HD WII is worth the asking price.
Also, got 2 screens because the robbers forgot to grab it. What to do with a second screen controller?

Play Nintendoland?
marurun

by marurun Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 am

The WiiU also wasn't popular enough to get cost-cutting internal revisions the way other consoles have. Those revisions usually bring down prices on all units.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 am

No, barely used it actually. The reason it was there is because my niece and nephew played it so much more than I did. I disabled the account on the stolen hardware immediately, and later recovered it to the new hardware.
OT: The cops did find the robbers, but only managed to recover some (very important) keys from the tent vagrants. No arrest, no large recovery. The insurance allowed one for free for long time customers so no insurance increase. Large lump sum payment for lost property. I spent a couple of months tracking the stolen tablet, as it was being used semi-regularly, but despite my best efforts I was unable to discern anything but it's general location and no useful usage data as it had no GPS, and it was incapable of getting any other sensor data in the state it was in. I left it locked and broken with a request to turn in the seller of the stolen hardware.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am

SuperDerpBro wrote:Send it to me so i can buy a cheap bare console! :P

I think i will buy a NIB one.. Cheapest i can find is 450 CAD tho :/

Edit... NVM. You wanted new

They are more than I expected.
Return to General Gaming