Gaming Like It's 2008

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Note
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming Like It's 2008

Post by Note »

Jagosaurus wrote:2008...

I was in college. We had all 3 systems in our house with a 50" rear projection HD TV (1080i over component). We had a sweet set up. We were all about the local play and online multiplayer then:

Call of Duty World at War
Gears of War 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles came out for Christmas 07 so we played that a lot in 08 after holiday break.

09 had one of my favorite sleeper FPS games. Guess you'll have to wait another year to find out 8)

I feel you on that one, I was in college in 2008 too, my senior year. My roommates were definitely big into Halo, a few of them went to lineup at midnight for the release of Halo 3 in the fall of '07. Gears of War 1 and 2 were big (I personally like 3rd person shooters better on consoles, so I was more of a Gears of War guy). Fight Night Round 3 was popular in our house too -- so much trash talking thanks to this game. Lol.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

noiseredux wrote:Metacritic's top 10 highest ranked games of 2008:

98% Grand Theft Auto IV
95% Little Big Planet
94% World Of Goo
94% Bioshock
94% Metal Gear Solid 4
93% Super Smash Bros Brawl
93% Braid
93% Fallout 3
93% Gears Of War 2
92% Rock Band 2

Full list: https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games ... ected=2008

Good looks on the list and the Game Informer covers. I missed out on a lotta the games that appeared on those covers!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I'd put Dead Space above all those. 8)
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

2008 was a good year. Something to play every quarter.

My personal favorites, some have already mentioned:

Dead Space
Lost Odyssey
Ninja Gaiden II
Tales of Vesperia
Bionic Commando Rearmed
SW The Force Unleashed
Rock Band 2
Fallout 3
GTA IV (Beat it, MP fun, but doesn't hold up today imo)

Out of those, I enjoy DS, LO, and NGII the most. And everyone on console was playing COD 4 and/or Halo 3 MP.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Melek-Ric wrote:Out of those, I enjoy DS, LO, and NGII the most.

Of the games you listed, these are by far my favorites too. Good taste!

Vesperia was a surprising one for me. I've tried several times to get into the Tales games, and never stuck with them, but Vesperia actually hooked me. Having such a chaotic protagonist goes a long way. Combat was still mashy, but it rewarded playing well with flashy enough attacks that I still felt compelled to play well.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Note wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:2008...

I was in college. We had all 3 systems in our house with a 50" rear projection HD TV (1080i over component). We had a sweet set up. We were all about the local play and online multiplayer then:

Call of Duty World at War
Gears of War 2
Mario Kart Wii
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles came out for Christmas 07 so we played that a lot in 08 after holiday break.

09 had one of my favorite sleeper FPS games. Guess you'll have to wait another year to find out 8)

I feel you on that one, I was in college in 2008 too, my senior year. My roommates were definitely big into Halo, a few of them went to lineup at midnight for the release of Halo 3 in the fall of '07. Gears of War 1 and 2 were big (I personally like 3rd person shooters better on consoles, so I was more of a Gears of War guy). Fight Night Round 3 was popular in our house too -- so much trash talking thanks to this game. Lol.

We even ended up with the 360 HD DVD add on. At that point Blockbuster was still renting both HD formats. We had a legit 1080i game and movie set up for being poor.

... a many o' classes were missed. I worked to midnight often with my roommate. We'd BBQ at 12:30a, drink beer, and jump on Halo for a few hours. Sleep until noon :lol: ... no idea how we graduated.

We also got really addicted to The Conduit multiplayer on Wii. Amazing controls with full MP lobbies. Almost a point and shoot Halo. Apparently that was 2009 though looking at dates. All kind of blurs together. My wife (then gf) is a saint for putting up with us. She'd jump on Gears with us occasionally. I was protective of her avatar... in a video game :D

From last page, correct, Recon became ODST. I never cared for the final name. Maybe they thought Recon was too close to Reach.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:Out of those, I enjoy DS, LO, and NGII the most.

Of the games you listed, these are by far my favorites too. Good taste!

Vesperia was a surprising one for me. I've tried several times to get into the Tales games, and never stuck with them, but Vesperia actually hooked me. Having such a chaotic protagonist goes a long way. Combat was still mashy, but it rewarded playing well with flashy enough attacks that I still felt compelled to play well.

It's funny that my favorite survival horror and favorite action games of all time came out the same year. LO is a great JRPG.

First Tales game I played (beat it, enjoyed it) was Symphonia on the GC. I own Vesperia but haven't played it for more than an hour. Too many games on my plate at the time. I hope they make ToV BC on XBO. Not interested in buying remasters. Haven't been interested in any other Tales games since 2008.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

2008 was the year of long ass games for me.

We had Fallout 3 which I dumped hours upon hours into. Roaming around and discovering locations to explore. The DLC support for the game was great.

Then Grand Theft Auto IV. I fired up the PC version recently on two seperate PCs and even with a core i7-6700k and a 1070ti it still runs poorly. Talk about poor optimization. They did a fine job with GTA V. Still though, I loved IV quite a lot and that game did some great things that were not present in its successor.

Lastly is Fable II. I’ve spent many hours playing that masterpiece of a game. Of the three I put that have squarely on top. I loved the doggie mechanic. Property management. The three button combat. Loved it all. I don’t have a 360 hooked up but I do have Fable III for the PC that I’m currently playing at the moment.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

casterofdreams wrote:Still though, I loved IV quite a lot and that game did some great things that were not present in its successor.

can you elaborate on this a bit, please?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

noiseredux wrote:
casterofdreams wrote:Still though, I loved IV quite a lot and that game did some great things that were not present in its successor.

can you elaborate on this a bit, please?

Absolutely!

Some of these things are subjective but here goes:
- the biggest thing off the bat is DLC. Some quality DLC as seen by the two side stories that were released. It added new vehicles, weapons, missions and such. They were self contained little games that both can take 20 hours each to 100% for a great price. One would say, when combined with Niko, is a precursor to GTA V’s three character system.

- The driving physics are more accurate to real life. I know this very topic got a lot of flak in its day but i think they were going for a more realistic driving physics and not “game-y.” Cars react more accurately in crashes.

- Gun play feels better. NPCs react more naturally when getting shot; holding their shoulder or abdominal area for instance. Here’s an example of the Euphoria engine: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87qdmuOesRs. Even little details such as bullet decals are more natural looking. I’ll give you an example on this one (this will show how detail oriented i am, for better or worse), in IV when you take a shotgun and shoot a car, you’ll get bullet decals that vary depending on how many projectiles hit the car and at what angle. It can be different every time. In V however, the engine shows a patter that is exactly the same. Same pattern, maybe rotated but even if one perceived projective hits the car it shows up as all of them hitting the car. It’s dumb I know but bare with me.

- This one is a big subjective one: GTA IV is more realistic, just in general. No normal civilian regardless of background can get their hands on a tank, fighter jet, a mini gun, etc. GTA V went for a fun factor. IV went the realistic route. Some prefer the former over the latter. Such is life.

- Overall physics engine was more defined. Environments were affected more naturally such as side swiping a building, hitting a pillar, hitting constructions equipment (barriers and cones), explosions.

- one more -

- Pedetstrians had more natural reactions: like the aforementioned gunshot reactions, they reacted more naturally to getting out of the way from oncoming traffic, weather effects, etc.

Now given the wall of text above, this doesn’t mean GTA V has nothing over IV. It’s got tons of little details as well. It’s perfected flip flop physics!