Halo 2 Online Free 360 & oXbox 2018-20 - Xlink Kai, RB Meet?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Halo 2 Online Free 360 & oXbox 2018 - Xlink Kai, RB Meet

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Tanooki, Also, try ensuring the xbox is off, not on the dashboard menu or in game when you boot Xlink. If need Xlink open, then boot xbox to get "console found" under metrics on my setup. This was the best method I found to make sure the console was found.

Just unhooked the 360 and tested with oXbox. My steps above worked for that as well.

Worth noting, worked fine with Halo 2 .xbe disc image running right off a modded oXbox HDD, versus a retail disc.

noiseredux wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:I've known about this for a while and it's cool that's there's still a dedicated community playing on OG hardware.

That said, I don't know if it's worth the trouble these days. During the years when there was no other viable way to play Halo 2 online, this was great. Today though, the simpler option is TMCC. It has also been updated as well. The player population is bigger and you have access to good old CE and H3 as well. If really like Halo online, it's worth checking out if you don't already own it.

this was my thought as well. I genuinely don't want to be a Debbie Downer. I think it's great that you guys are using the old hardware to do this. But if I personally wanted to play Halo 2 online, I'd just opt for the simplicity of buying the Xbox One version and spending zero time setting anything up.

Set up is fairly easy. Over 15 minutes of my 30 minutes was me default resetting my router because I forgot my admin (not wifi) password for the port forwards :lol:. If it weren't for that, I would've had it done in less than 15 minutes. That includes reading the guides and joining the forums. After that initial set up, it takes a couple minutes to launch Xlink each time you boot the xbox.

Also, keep in mind Xlink isn't just for Halo. I see a good bit of people still playing SOCOM II on PS2 & Star Wars Battlefront. Those 2 seem to be the most consistent other than Halo 2. but there are others active such as Project Gotham Racing and Steel Battalion.

@MCC/Master Chief Collection
That is not the original version on multiplayer. You cannot toggle between the graphics in multiplayer as you can on Halo CE & 2 in campaign only. Halo 2 was a cultural phenomenon. I still knew people playing in tournaments 5 years ago. I was buddies with 2 guys who were borderline professionals. They'd place in the big regional tournaments but never made big bucks. These tournaments were still occurring well after Halo 3, Reach, and 4 had been released. It has a continued cult following, even within the existing Halo circles that upgrade to the newest game out.

My personal history with the games... I entered high school in 2002 and finished college undergrad in 2009. That is right during the time Halo and online console gaming was exploding. It is not out of the ballpark to estimate I clocked 3,000 hours in multiplayer games between Halo CE, 2, and 3 during that time frame. I went from lugging around CRTs for CE LAN parties to getting off work at midnight in college and playing Halo 2 and 3 on a HDTV with my roommates until sunrise over XBL. Good memories. There are definitely some nostalgia glasses for me there, and likely many others my age on Xlink.

Some cons to MCC Halo 2:
Note: I personally do not own MCC yet so these are all points from talking with friends, reading forums, & watching reviews:
Most hardcore, long term fans weren't too keen on Master Chief Collection. Lots of hiccups.
The multiplayer match making was terrible, took forever.
Matches dropping. Players being randomly booted.
I've heard/read Halo 2 on MCC is pretty dead these days. Most activity is on 5.
Have to pick up Xbox One (yes, I need to any way!)
Have to purchase MCC (see optional Halo 2 DL option below)
Have to pay $60 annually to play

Some nice pros for Xlink on a 360 or oXbox:
Saw 150 people playing in one geographic region on Halo 2 Xlink. Jumped right into a game on Thursday at 5:15p.
Dust off existing console in your closet or media center. No cost.
Pick up an oXbox for under $50 if you don't own either
No console mods or Ethernet adapters needed (as on PS2 Phat), all native
Cross play between 360 and oXbox.
No monthly online service cost.
Optional: You can rip (or DL) Halo 2 directly to oXbox HDD. No need to even buy the game.
Just a cool novelty to have this game running 14 years after release, 8 years after servers shut down.
Obviously a dedicated development group and player fan base behind this. Fun to be a part of that
Sit back and enjoy a shot of nostaglia with your pint of beer or Halo themed Mountain Dew :D

Basically... do you want to pay upfront and monthly for the newer version... or do you want the classic we love for free. To each their own. I do want to play through MCC CE & 2 campaign soon.

Halo 2 also looks pretty nice upscaled to 1080p on a 360 over HDMI on your modern sets. It's not like we're looking at GoldenEye 64 over composite here. It feels relatively modern. The controls are as spot on as ever.

... now I want to try out PS2 SOCOM II on Xlink 8)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Again, not crapping on the endeavor. And admittedly I have no nostalgia for this game. And I already pay for Gold each year so no added cost for me. So just saying for me it's not worth the effort. But I do applaud you guys for getting into this. I messed with it back on PS2 and GameCube so I do appreciate it. I just wouldn't bother with it now personally.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Jagosaurus wrote:@Tanooki, Also, try ensuring the xbox is off, not on the dashboard menu or in game when you boot Xlink. If need Xlink open, then boot xbox to get "console found" under metrics on my setup. This was the best method I found to make sure the console was found.

Just unhooked the 360 and tested with oXbox. My steps above worked for that as well.

Worth noting, worked fine with Halo 2 .xbe disc image running right off a modded oXbox HDD, versus a retail disc.

noiseredux wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:I've known about this for a while and it's cool that's there's still a dedicated community playing on OG hardware.

That said, I don't know if it's worth the trouble these days. During the years when there was no other viable way to play Halo 2 online, this was great. Today though, the simpler option is TMCC. It has also been updated as well. The player population is bigger and you have access to good old CE and H3 as well. If really like Halo online, it's worth checking out if you don't already own it.

this was my thought as well. I genuinely don't want to be a Debbie Downer. I think it's great that you guys are using the old hardware to do this. But if I personally wanted to play Halo 2 online, I'd just opt for the simplicity of buying the Xbox One version and spending zero time setting anything up.

@MCC/Master Chief Collection
That is not the original version on multiplayer. You cannot toggle between the graphics in multiplayer as you can on Halo CE & 2 in campaign only. Halo 2 was a cultural phenomenon.
Most hardcore, long term fans weren't too keen on Master Chief Collection. Lots of hiccups.
The multiplayer match making was terrible, took forever.
Matches dropping. Players being randomly booted.
I've heard/read Halo 2 on MCC is pretty dead these days. Most activity is on 5.

I want to address your points on MCC. I own it.

I think you might be confusing Halo 2 Classic MP and Halo 2 Anniversary MP. There's no graphics switch because they are separate MP modes.
H2C is just like the Halo 2 MP you know and love. Yes, the out of match UI is different, but in-game, it's the same.
H2A is a newer MP version based on Halo 4's engine as far as I can tell. It plays like a mix of H2/H3 without Equipment, tweaked weapon set. Forge is available for it. Not as solid as H2 or H3, but a nice diversion. There are only 7 maps in H2A; classics remastered from H2A.

The next few issues you relayed have been addressed in numerous updates since release. The most recent update which was released a week or so ago was the big one. You can check out info on it here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-update

Finally, the population has revived thanks to this big update a week ago. That said, I think the player count in matchmaking is the biggest issue facing MCC longterm. The competitive console fps landscape is much more crowded than 2004. Hopefully Halo MP fans will continue to play over the years. I love the collection simply because it kinda future-proofs the classics. I can play CE, 2, and 3 on modern hardware with MP, in HD.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Melek-Ric wrote:I

I think you might be confusing Halo 2 Classic MP and Halo 2 Anniversary MP. There's no graphics switch because they are separate MP modes.
H2C is just like the Halo 2 MP you know and love. Yes, the out of match UI is different, but in-game, it's the same.
H2A is a newer MP version based on Halo 4's engine as far as I can tell. It plays like a mix of H2/H3 without Equipment, tweaked weapon set. Forge is available for it. Not as solid as H2 or H3, but a nice diversion. There are only 7 maps in H2A; classics remastered from H2A.

The next few issues you relayed have been addressed in numerous updates since release. The most recent update which was released a week or so ago was the big one. You can check out info on it here: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-update

Finally, the population has revived thanks to this big update a week ago. That said, I think the player count in matchmaking is the biggest issue facing MCC longterm. The competitive console fps landscape is much more crowded than 2004. Hopefully Halo MP fans will continue to play over the years. I love the collection simply because it kinda future-proofs the classics. I can play CE, 2, and 3 on modern hardware with MP, in HD.

So MCC has 2 completely separate Halo 2 MP modes, classic and remaster/anniversary? If so, learned something new there. That is cool. Especially if you already have the system, game, and Live. Will check it out once I eventually pick up a X.

I'm not anti-MCC. Halo 5 and this will likely be the first X games I pick up. I'm normally a later system adopter.

Online gaming is very contingent on the service servers. I love how communities are keeping these games online alive. To my knowledge, it is the way to play SOCOM II and Battlefront. Need to look into those...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@8bit, did you ever get this working?

I just realized called you Tanooki bc of your avatar :lol:

Just hopped a few crazy Halo 2 games.

I also just bought a copy of PS2 SOCOM II on ebay. There's xlink users on every night playing that as well. Looks super easy to set up. It has the PS2 network trouble shooter right on the disc itself.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Jagosaurus wrote:
Melek-Ric wrote:I

So MCC has 2 completely separate Halo 2 MP modes, classic and remaster/anniversary? If so, learned something new there. That is cool. Especially if you already have the system, game, and Live. Will check it out once I eventually pick up a X.

I'm not anti-MCC. Halo 5 and this will likely be the first X games I pick up. I'm normally a later system adopter.

Online gaming is very contingent on the service servers. I love how communities are keeping these games online alive. To my knowledge, it is the way to play SOCOM II and Battlefront. Need to look into those...

I just wanted to clear up misinformation about MCC. You can watch people play H2C on Youtube and Twitch if you search for it. I also noticed in that Waypoint post the Devs added LAN support in this last update!

Playing H2 online with classic hardware is still awesome. Glad there's a community there.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nice. On that note, I remember MS saying if a backwards compatible game supports LAN, all 3 gens of xbox actually see each other. Pretty crazy you can have an oXbox, 360, & One linked, playing Battlefront II via LAN.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I read something about that when they were showing off Fusion Frenzy being played on XBO. They had 2 XBOs and 2 OG Xboxes playing 4-player FF couch MP. Is SW Battlefront 1 & 2 OG Xbox games with LAN support that could be played together on all generations of Xbox hardware? If they made OGXB Halo 2 BC that'd be another game.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Awesome MCC added LAN. Might see new Halo 2 tournaments pop up again.

I know for Halo 2, you can link 360s and oX. Yeah... wish they'd add it to One.

SW BF II is 1 of the 31 oXbox games payable across all 3 gens. First one that popped into my head with LAN support. Should work just like Fusion Frenzy.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Jagosaurus wrote:@8bit, did you ever get this working?

I just realized called you Tanooki bc of your avatar :lol:

Just hopped a few crazy Halo 2 games.

I also just bought a copy of PS2 SOCOM II on ebay. There's xlink users on every night playing that as well. Looks super easy to set up. It has the PS2 network trouble shooter right on the disc itself.

Haven't had a chance to revisit. I was out of town Fri-Mon and getting back I've been slammed with work and kids. I literally put kids down around 8:30 and am in bed by 9:30 (adulthood sucks sometimes). I will try to get back on this this weekend though.

One question, for some reason i got the impression in one of the how-to videos that the xbox may need to be connected through the port of the computer running XlinkKai, not the router. Do the xbox just go through your modem like the rest of your network devices when running kai? I ask because my PC that is running everything is actually a surface pro, which only connects via wifi. Wondering if this has anything to do with me not having any luck connecting to a lobby.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |