Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

Anyone use Everdrives just to play Romhacks?

by Dikdikvandik Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 am

I won't lie YES I have a few full romsets ready to go for when I dump large chunks of money into some Everdrives.

HOWEVER SD2SNES not withstanding I want a Mega Everdrive X7 to play Romhacks on real hardware yes MUSHA and Grind Stromer will be there and some stupid expensive Mega Drive games. But I want to go through all the Sonic Hacking contest greatness. Play Streets of Rage 2 as the Simpsons.
Who knows what else.

Anyone else just use Everdrives for Romhacks?
marurun

Re: Anyone use Everdrives just to play Romhacks?

by marurun Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Great for translations, that's for sure.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Rarely, I don't have time much to go digging back through romhacks, but I have batted around a few unreleased of the era stuff between awesome creations like uCity for GBC (Sim City Classic) or stuff like Hind Strike (SNES pilotwings combat chopper concept style game) or prototype that got hosed over for one reason or another (like Earthbound and FF2 NES.) I never was a fan of direct hacks though I have tinkered with the MMC1 fix adding a map and good translation to Castlevania II. I did the translation stuff long ago, no time now, but it was PC, and emulator for like FF5, Sailor Moon, and a couple others.
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

by Dikdikvandik Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 pm

I didn't even think about Translations.
I know I'll get hard into that RPG goodness on the SD2SNES.

I had a Raspberry Pi but I didn't like it, none of the OSes did it for me. I gradually started leaning towards real hardware. Everdrives are important for playing the unobtainable even then I like having Repros. Right now a repro of Glaylancer is in my Genesis.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:35 am

I've messed around with a few romhacks, but playing translations was my main goal.

It is worth looking at the size of the hacks, and what your flashcart can handle. I remember some game (I think a Mortal Kombat hack) would only work on a specific Genesis/MD cart, as it was a rather large file.

Dikdikvandik wrote: Right now a repro of Glaylancer is in my Genesis.

Good shit. Though not as good of a game, be sure to check out Verytex for its absolutely killer OST by Sakimoto.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:06 am

I bought my GBA everdrive just for playing translation patched games.

I could have played them on my Retron5, but I like that I can use this to play them in a handheld format, as intended.
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

by Dikdikvandik Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:39 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:I've messed around with a few romhacks, but playing translations was my main goal.

It is worth looking at the size of the hacks, and what your flashcart can handle. I remember some game (I think a Mortal Kombat hack) would only work on a specific Genesis/MD cart, as it was a rather large file.

Dikdikvandik wrote: Right now a repro of Glaylancer is in my Genesis.

Good shit. Though not as good of a game, be sure to check out Verytex for its absolutely killer OST by Sakimoto.

With the Genesis I'm getting an X7 no doubt. SD2SNES when I can. Then Everdrive N8.

Verytex is on my Radar. I love Shmups but I'm not particularly good at them especially 8 and 16 bit ones. Eleminate Down I'll Everdrive I'm not sure it's worth getting as a Repro.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:06 am

That's two people so far in the 'as intended' group and I'll be the third.

I kept waffling for years on Pi this or that, but I'd keep thinking it was more than necessary, too easy to abuse, watered down free ROMs, not the original format of sorts. I didn't see the value in having it all, did the same with a real collection that's now into a smaller almost period of the time reasonable size now. I backed off it, and I don't want to try and mess with all the complex (or not for someone used to it) setup of the OS and the rest either. I compromised with a ratty Retron5, then started getting HDMI updates (HiDefNES, SuperNT, GC2Hdmi adapter, etc) to my systems instead to bulletproof them from retired connections on TVs.

It's just worth more to have some real games, then have the kits for both the unaffordable due to mostly shenanigans, but also because you can run translation patches and a few hacks too (like the Castlevania II fix) that add value to the games without being some lame personal amateur level effort remake.

These kits are just amazing tools to allow such things, and also throw in the few more competent and very well made homebrews too from the likes of basic gbc conversions lik uCity(Sim City) to the more complex DSP backed Hind Strike on SNES.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Well, there are a few favorite games I'd like to rom hack, like FF6, Zelda(s), and maybe some NES classics series like Castlevania, Mario, Mega Man.

Toyed with the idea of devoting a flash cart to hacks, but there are just so many other games that I may never get to, that I don't think I'll mess with them too much even if I want to (and if I do, it'll probably be mostly on my Wii for convenience).

Translations are a whole other deal, and I will use Flash carts for some of those.

One that I DO want on actual hardware is a bunch of Mario Kart hacks on my Super UFO 8 cart (with official cart as a DSP pass through). Have you guys seen how many there are?
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&g ... ksearch=Go

--could use my SD2SNES or even an everdrive for those, but what's the fun in that :P
...just another lost soul...
Return to General Gaming