Desert island, only one game... per console!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Desert island, only one game... per console!

Post by Ack »

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:Saturn - Cyberbots: This is an excellent fighting game, and I'd love to spend more time getting into it and understanding its flow.

Aw, yeah! Cyberbots is wicked. I love that game, and it's superb on the Saturn, with the 1Meg expansion ROM. I was also trying to pick games based on longevity, and replayability. So, while I was debating including Cyberbots, I've already opened up all the extra mechs, and played through everyone's story mode a few years ago. I'm not sure how much I would actually go back to it at this point, as a single player experience. Great choice, though.

Groove on Fight is another fighting game I had to consider on the Saturn that I quite enjoyed, but played through all the stories, and unlocked everything in already. So, it was really in the same boat as Cyberbots, but I also had to fight it out between a metric butt-load of games for that console.

Ack wrote:Dreamcast - D2: A combination of horror, RPG, and light gun game?

D2 uses the light gun?

Sadly, no, it must utilizes a light gun-style for gameplay. It would have been so awesome if it did though.

Yeah, Groove On Fight is another one I had to consider! So many games...
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Sega Master System - Space Harrier
This version gets a lot of flack for being inferior to the arcade, but I love it. It's one of my favorite games to casually pick up and play for a while with no expectation of beating. But if I'm on a desert island and have infinite time, trying to challenge myself to actually BEAT the game (or then try to play for high-score) is a suitable challenge.

Game Gear - Bubble Bobble
This game is a total classic and while the Game Gear version isn't *quite* as good as the SMS one, it's pretty close. Yeah, this version is definitely not as convenient for 2-player, but I'm on a desert island, that doesn't matter!

Genesis - Castlevania Bloodlines
Platformers aren't my main "desert island" pick just because one normally expects to play them once and then be done with. But man, I love me some Castlevania and this game is brutal in its difficulty on the hardest mode. I don't see myself getting sick of it.

Sega CD - Sonic CD
I feel like I *must* include a Sonic game and since the Sega CD has the fewest games I imagine myself replaying over and over again, this one is a good pick. I sometimes see people trashing it as the worst 16-bit game, but I like it a lot more than the original Sonic and stands worthily beside Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Plus it can be fun to try to explore all the different times.

Sega 32X - Kolibri
Of the 32X games I've played, this one is easily my favorite. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but let's be real, the 32X library kind of sucks.

Sega Saturn - NiGHTS into Dreams
I completely love NiGHTS, this game has had a huge impact on me. And its intense arcade-style action means it has stupendous replay value when going for high scores.

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi
One of those defining DC arcade ports, this is one I'm happy to replay over and over again. Satisfying to sit down and play for 10 minutes, but also fun to try again and again to get higher scores.

Nintendo Entertainment System - Tetris
It's Tetris! One of the classic "desert island" answers.

Game Boy - Dragon Warrior Monsters
Okay, this one *might* be a stretch because it's GB Color compatable... I'm still counting it. I had a blast with this game and wouldn't mind sinking in a ton of hours to get all the varieties of monsters.

Game Boy Color - Dragon Warrior III
Hands-down my favorite 8-bit JRPG, this game is an absolute classic! The open-ended party structure and job system means it could be fun to experiment with different parties. Plus, even though I LOVE this game, I never got deep into the "monster medals" and hidden dungeons; I wouldn't mind sinking a ton of extra time into it.

Gamecube - Animal Crossing
It's not my favorite Gamecube game, but it would be nice to pretend I have friends while I'm living on the deserted island.

DS - Korg DS-10 Plus
Technically not a game, but I have so many games for so many other consoles that I think some music would be nice. (I'm assuming I don't get to take an ACTUAL synthesizer with me on the island.)

Wii - Metal Slug Anthology
(Okay, this one isn't in my possession YET, but will be soon). The Metal Slug games are fantastic; playing them always improves my mood. If I have infinite time, maybe I'll actually get good enough to 1CC Metal Slug 3??

3DS - Shin Megami Tensei IV
I almost went with Dragon Quest VII, but feel like my list is too DQ-heavy as it is. I've never played an SMT game (despite owning several), but I'm sure this one would eat up a good chunk of my time.

Playstation 2 - Beatmania IIDX 16: Empress + Premium Best
This is an obvious choice for me. Beatmania IIDX is the epitome of "simple concept, brutally hard difficulty in execution" and, along with Dance Dance Revolution, is my favorite rhythm game. It takes YEARS of practice before a player can reasonably expect to be capable of playing the hardest songs songs. This specific version was the final one for PS2 and contains a bonus disc with a sort of "greatest hits" of previous versions. I can't imagine getting sick of it.

Playstation Portable - Soreyuke! Burunyanman Portable
This ecchi shmup is a total gem. Gotta have a shmup! Cute graphics and ridiculous sensibilities only make it better!

Xbox - Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4
I love DDR and this might be a hot take, but I think the Ultramix games are better than any of the American PS2 versions. They all have good songs but since I have all the song-pack DLC, I'm pretty sure Ultramix 4 has the largest song list. Only having one version to play might be rough, but I see myself being happy with just this for a loooong time.

Xbox 360 - Eschatos
I already have a cute'em-up for PSP, but this is a top-tier oldschool style shmup. I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack and I think I'd be pretty satisfied playing this forever. (Although there's still a part of me thinks Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection might be the objectively "best choice" for a desert island)

ONE THAT MAYBE DON'T QUITE COUNT BUT I'LL LIST ANYWAY:
Playstation 1 (I don't own a console but I have several games I play on PS2) - World of Dragon Warrior: Torneko - The Last Hope
I haven't actually played this yet, but randomly generated dungeons mean I would PROBABLY be happy replaying this many times.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Wow, great selections. Nemiode, you need to swap out the Wii for a non-collection title, but otherwise really inspiring! I am constantly impressed by everyone’s picks and how thoughtful they are.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Whoops, sorry about that Wii pick (I spent so much time pouring over my collection that I lost track of DA RULES)

So for a compliant selection I'll go with... TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM. I generally don't consider fighting games to be my favorites, but do like them (especially 2D Capcom-style ones) and this would be a pretty good title to experiment with for infinite time!
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom really surprised me. Very solid fighter. I think I prefer it to Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

NES - Tetris
SNES - Super Mario World
N64 - Super Mario 64
GameCube - Paper Mario TTYD
Wii - Zelda Twilight Princess
WiiU - Mario Maker (this island has internet, yeah?)
Switch - Mario Odyssey, but when Smash comes out, it would be Smash.

Game boy - Pokemon Blue
Game boy Color - Pokemon Silver
Game Boy Advance - Zelda LTTP
DS - New Super Mario Bros
3DS - Zelda Link Between Worlds

PS1 - Harmful Park
PS2 - Beatmania IIDX (don't care which)
PS3 - EA Skate 3

Xbox - Fable
Xbox 360 - Bioshock

PC - Minecraft

Genesis - Sonic 3
Dreamcast - Ikaruga

TurboGrafx - Castlevania Rondo of Blood
Atari 2600 - Kaboom

This wasn't as difficult for me as I thought it would be. As long as a game is good I can play it over and over again without getting bored. Stuff like Tetris and Beatmania would take years to master. Super Mario World I'm working on learning the speedrun, and was planning to move on to Mario 64 afterwards. So I can easily put in hundreds of hours for those. I wish I could squeeze in Yoshi's island and Tetris attack but for SNES I can't not have smw. I'd be fine with only having these games
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I think this is completely impossible for me, but I will do my best:

Atari 2600: crystal castles

NES: not even going to try, way too many greats on this system, gun to my head castlevania 3 or one of the mega man games (likely 3)

Master System: Master of darkness, easy choice, every game I ever played on master system is complete trash with this game being a genuinely enjoyable castlevania clone.

SNES: super mario all stars + super mario world: so many great games on the snes but this gives me the most bang for my buck if I am on a deserted island

Genesis: tie between warsong, my favorite strategy game of all time, and streets of rage 2, my favorite beat em up of all time

Sega CD: dragons lair

Sega 32x: I never played any games on this system but I will go with spiderman web of fire because I heard its good

Turbografx 16: Neutopia, since mario will beat zelda on any nintendo console for me, this is the closest I can get to a zelda on my deserted island

turbo cd: Valis 2 or 3, would replay them before I got stranded to make a final choice

Playstation 1: I think this is a choice as hard as the nes is for me, ps1 was the system when I was managing funcoland and I used to play it all day every day, since I have not picked an RPG yet I will go with legend of dragoon, which is probably my favorite rpg on that system

Saturn: As much as I would love to choose a 2d fighter I have to go with dragon force

N64: Mario 64, easy choice, I hate this system and just about every game on it except Mario 64

Ps2:

Dreamcast: Capcom vs snk 2, the best 2d fighter of all time

Gamecube: real close between eternal darkness and resident evil 4, but I think RE4 wins by a hair

thats all I got for now, I'll do portables and modern systems another time

pierrot wrote:
Ack wrote:Saturn - Cyberbots: This is an excellent fighting game, and I'd love to spend more time getting into it and understanding its flow.

Aw, yeah! Cyberbots is wicked. I love that game, and it's superb on the Saturn, with the 1Meg expansion ROM. I was also trying to pick games based on longevity, and replayability. So, while I was debating including Cyberbots, I've already opened up all the extra mechs, and played through everyone's story mode a few years ago. I'm not sure how much I would actually go back to it at this point, as a single player experience. Great choice, though.

Groove on Fight is another fighting game I had to consider on the Saturn that I quite enjoyed, but played through all the stories, and unlocked everything in already. So, it was really in the same boat as Cyberbots, but I also had to fight it out between a metric butt-load of games for that console.
?

Groove on fight is a phenomenal game, hands down one of the best fighters on the system(which is saying a lot), I always thought I was the only person in the world who knew about that game ; )
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ha, I became aware of Groove On Fight a decade ago when I picked up Power Instinct for my SNES and looked up the series. I imported a few fighters for the Saturn around 2010, and Groove On Fight was one of them. I never spent enough time with it, unfortunately.
poisonknight

Post by poisonknight »

Looking at the list of console and games you guys made I can only say WOW, for me it might be just a simple mmorpg game and a pc that's all xD Well at least now I know I have a lot more choices than that xD Thanks for the share <3