Dieing at boss with one hit left

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ESauced
64-bit

Dieing at boss with one hit left

Post by ESauced »

I was just fighting the joker in level 6 of Batman: Return of the Joker (NES). He has 120,000 hits. One shot from the standard gun deals him 160 damage, so do the math and it takes 750 shots to kill him. I died when he had 160 health left, or, in other words, one shot.

Who else has felt this pain?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Dieing at boss with one hit left

Post by alienjesus »

I wrote this when I reviewed it in the games beaten thread, but when I played Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero for PSP, I had lots of close calls with the final boss who is brutally hard and has a bajillionty health on a 3 minute time limit.

I have felt the pain, because that boss required so much button mashing to deal damage fast enough that it actually physically hurt me.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

The first time I almost 1CC'd Deathsmiles it was this scenario. I actually thought I had beaten the game when I got hit and died because the boss had such a tiny sliver of life left it looked empty to me. Brutal feeling. Just devastating. I did end up getting that 1CC soon after, but that run was still heart-breaking.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

noiseredux wrote:The first time I almost 1CC'd Deathsmiles it was this scenario. I actually thought I had beaten the game when I got hit and died because the boss had such a tiny sliver of life left it looked empty to me. Brutal feeling. Just devastating. I did end up getting that 1CC soon after, but that run was still heart-breaking.

This happened to me like 5 times in Mushi Futari before finally getting the clear. Heart-breaking is the perfect way to describe this, especially since it took me like months to even get to the last boss at all.

I've also had the fortune of experiencing the Double KO, where you kill the last boss and die at the same time, netting the Game Over as the boss explodes.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

In normal-difficulty Beatmania IIDX, you clear a song when the "Groove Gauge" is 80% or higher at the song's end, the gauge doesn't use odd numbers.
Everyone who plays that game knows the pain and frustration of finishing a song with 78%. It's especially painful when it's the first song of the set in Standard mode (which typically gives 3 songs), which means you get a game over and your set is DONE.

Other IIDX frustration: getting a high score on a song you've cleared before but still failing it.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Optional boss in Xenoblade 2. Artifice Ophion. My team is level 96 and the boss is level 117. I was doing a good job and was once special from finishing him off. I nearly had the meter to the 3 notches it needs and I have no idea how but he just did some attack that one hit killed the whole party. Not once during the rest of the fight did anything that strong hit us. Not tried since. Just to even get to that point was actually 45 minutes. It's this games version of the FFXV Adamantoise fight. Just takes forever and it's a huge boss as well.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Nemoide wrote:In normal-difficulty Beatmania IIDX, you clear a song when the "Groove Gauge" is 80% or higher at the song's end, the gauge doesn't use odd numbers.
Everyone who plays that game knows the pain and frustration of finishing a song with 78%. It's especially painful when it's the first song of the set in Standard mode (which typically gives 3 songs), which means you get a game over and your set is DONE.

Other IIDX frustration: getting a high score on a song you've cleared before but still failing it.

Ugh, yeah, IIDX is brutal. I think what hurts the most is missing notes down to like 70% ish, and then chaining the entire end of the song only to get back up to 78. Its been a while, but I think its like 2% drop per miss, but you need several in a row to get any increase.

I think the 1-miss in the rhythm genre has been the most persistent pain in gaming for me, because while it means I can definitely no-miss the song, I always end up just doing terrible after a 1-miss.
poisonknight

Post by poisonknight »

ESauced wrote:I was just fighting the joker in level 6 of Batman: Return of the Joker (NES). He has 120,000 hits. One shot from the standard gun deals him 160 damage, so do the math and it takes 750 shots to kill him. I died when he had 160 health left, or, in other words, one shot.

Who else has felt this pain?

Oooooo this hurts really much, but I feel you bro. That feeling is unbearable, I will definitely rage if I die with one hit left, I don't know how you can handle that xD Well hopefully we don't have to experience this next time (but I highly doubt so xD)
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Oh hey, I was thinking about this thread recently, as this lovely boss ended run after run with barely any health left.

Just getting to her took quite some practice, but she was an absolute wall of evil wiggly bullets and lasers. I did take her down, but only after much attrition and salt. (Killed her with 0 lives and bombs in stock, absolute adrenaline shock)
TheSSNintendo
128-bit

Post by TheSSNintendo »

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow in a fight against Death/Grim Reaper. Only that we both took each other out at the same time.