Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jazzking2001

Question about Retro Game Accessories Parts

by jazzking2001 Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I am in the starting phase of buying a 3d printer + 3d scanner.

- I happen to own several retro game accessories that are not complete

One of the things I want to get input is about what you you think if you had the ability to buy the missing parts to complete your accessories?

For example, I own a complete super nintendo super scope. However, I know that many super scopes are not complete.

Thus, I was thinking of using a 3d scanner to scan the parts and sell them.

- I have attached an image of the parts from the super scope that most people do not have.

If you had the chance to get missing parts, would you?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Question about Retro Game Accessories Parts

by Tanooki Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:08 pm

jazzking2001 wrote:I am in the starting phase of buying a 3d printer + 3d scanner.

- I happen to own several retro game accessories that are not complete

One of the things I want to get input is about what you you think if you had the ability to buy the missing parts to complete your accessories?

For example, I own a complete super nintendo super scope. However, I know that many super scopes are not complete.

Thus, I was thinking of using a 3d scanner to scan the parts and sell them.

- I have attached an image of the parts from the super scope that most people do not have.

If you had the chance to get missing parts, would you?

Yes, yes I would. I keep spare parts around for things I currently use and in a few cases could see using. You never know when you'll locate something that needs a piece or when something with age may break. I have entire sets of buttons/rubber pads screws and other plastic bits for every Nintendo console up to Gamecube and Gameboy family handheld in little bags in boxes. Also have some spare gb micro and sp batteries from dead systems I've kept too as I'd rather use that than a chinese knockoff.

Now in the case of 3D printed stuff, that would entirely depend on the quality of the part and if it looked right. If it was a cheaper job where it looks all patterned with lines/wafers as it's spit out, no. If it had that factory looking shine and originality to it so it doesn't stand out, yes.

I don't much like the 3D printed shell my NGPC SD kit has, but I haven't looked that far into reshelling it as I read it's not going to fit in an original NGPC game shell.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 am

Overall, yes. I think that’s a cool idea.

Couple of things to keep in mind:
Price, time, quality control, sanding.

Still, very cool idea overall. I dig it. 8)
jazzking2001

by jazzking2001 Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

In the last few days, I have been working on a Nintendo NES Zapper Wall Mount.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3352275

I wanted to see what people thought about this idea, and if its something that people may be interested in.

thanks
marurun

by marurun Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:02 pm

So, is this wall mount to store it when not in use, or to put it up semi-permanently as decoration?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
jazzking2001

by jazzking2001 Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:10 pm

marurun wrote:So, is this wall mount to store it when not in use, or to put it up semi-permanently as decoration?

thanks, someone brought up your point and below is my reply

1 - My first prototype (the pictures you saw) simply uses command strips to stick it to the wall. I do plan to make more area to allow for eitehr bigger strips or screws.
- If I use place screw holes on the design, I do not know what screw size I should use?
- If I simply include the screws with the design, I do not need to worry about what screws someone has

4 - Issue with falling down. One of the reasons I have the cord coming from the "back" is that the code holds the gun from "falling." I trying to leave the grip visable as much as possible.
- I was thinking, i could use a rubberband or something to prevent falling but that simply looks ugly.

----

my full reply - http://nintendoage.com/forum/messagevie ... &forumid=1
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:30 am

jazzking2001 wrote:If you had the chance to get missing parts, would you?

Yes, but only authentic original parts not modern 3D printed replacements.

Of course I'm sure there will be a lot of people who don't care about authenticity like I do who will not mind replacing missing and/or broken parts with suitable 3D printed replacements, so there could be a market for this, but the price and quality has to be worth it.

It is not exactly impossible or particularity hard or expensive to find original replacements for all of these Lightgun parts (or a complete set), and that won't realistically become an issue in our lifetimes, so pricing and quality is paramount in order to be competitive, considering it will be worth it for you materials/labor wise.

Something like the mount is potentially more interesting since is an addition and not a replacement, and though I personally have zero interest for something like that, I'm sure others would like something like it.
jazzking2001

by jazzking2001 Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 am

Arenegeth wrote:
jazzking2001 wrote:If you had the chance to get missing parts, would you?

Yes, but only authentic original parts not modern 3D printed replacements.

Of course I'm sure there will be a lot of people who don't care about authenticity like I do who will not mind replacing missing and/or broken parts with suitable 3D printed replacements, so there could be a market for this, but the price and quality has to be worth it.

It is not exactly impossible or particularity hard or expensive to find original replacements for all of these Lightgun parts (or a complete set), and that won't realistically become an issue in our lifetimes, so pricing and quality is paramount in order to be competitive, considering it will be worth it for you materials/labor wise.

Something like the mount is potentially more interesting since is an addition and not a replacement, and though I personally have zero interest for something like that, I'm sure others would like something like it.

Thanks for the comment.

Well, I like seeing some of my stuff on the wall. Previously, I had a string attached to both sides of my zapper gun to put it on the wall. IT LOOKED UGLY.
For a few bucks, I would be happy to have a way to attach them onto the wall.

- After i finish the zapper mount, I plan to make one for the SUPER SCOPE for SNES..
Return to General Gaming