E3 2018 Discussion

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: E3 2018 Discussion

Post by isiolia »

Hoping to see more on the next FromSoft game (Shadows Die Twice trailer thing), though it'll probably just be another trailer. Some of the early leaks suggest Bloodborne 2 being on Sony's line up, but, we'll see I guess.

Some of the Nintendo stuff on the similar leaks would be interesting to see more details on. I'd like to see Sony come out with some parity to MS's backwards compatibility efforts, but as long as they have a string of exclusives they seem content to not really improve their platform. Overall I think we're just going to see more extended gameplay sessions of stuff we already knew about, so I'm not super excited for it this year.

Half wondering if SE/Nexon will be fully showing off the mobile FFXI remake, as likely to be a microtransaction mess as it is.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Dead or Alive 6 was just announced. Seems like the female characters are mostly clothed and the over-the-top jiggle physics are absent. Guess they realized it is 2018 and a good chunk of their audience has matured. I'm all for it - I'm ready for the focus to be on the gameplay.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

bmoc wrote:Dead or Alive 6 was just announced. Seems like the female characters are mostly clothed and the over-the-top jiggle physics are absent. Guess they realized it is 2018 and a good chunk of their audience has matured. it's not worth the hassle and media attention.

FTFY
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

LOL. I guess I could have phrased that better. Gamers in general are more mature because a lot of us are older and hopefully wiser. There weren't a lot of gamers in their 30's and 40's in the 1990's.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I would also argue that the press coverage tends to benefit the series rather than hinder it, especially in an age where people buy the game online rather than in stores.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Maybe. I'm just not that convinced that a sufficient amount of their core audience has really matured all that much. Most of us probably don't care for the sexualised female characters and ridiculous boob physics (I know I don't), but I bet there will be some sectors of their audience that aren't happy.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

They probably want DOA6 to be included in more eSports tournaments/coverage, and some carriers (ESPN for instance) have required players not use some of the skimpier costumes in other games. By making the defaults more conservative they make the game more broadcast friendly.
If they split it off into DLC (which, given what the later DOAX has gotten and one of the purchase models for DOA5, they will be doing a lot of either way), then the tournament machines can not have the option for the skimpier stuff....and the fans that demand it are probably the target audience for selling DLC to anyway.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

That's actually probably the most logical answer. That makes perfect sense.

marurun

Post by marurun »

If the game is fundamentally a good game (and most DOA incarnations have been), any fans they lose from dropping the boob physics and crazy outfits will more than be made up for by people who just want a good game and passed over the game before because of that overt, in-your-face pandering.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

bmoc wrote:Dead or Alive 6 was just announced. Seems like the female characters are mostly clothed and the over-the-top jiggle physics are absent. Guess they realized it is 2018 and a good chunk of their audience has matured. I'm all for it - I'm ready for the focus to be on the gameplay.

DOA6!!!!