E3 2018 Discussion

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: E3 2018 Discussion

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:in most cases games still seem to be primarily about using violence to achieve objectives...and this is something that the medium really needs to move past as a primary focus

dsheinem wrote:the industry still uses violence as the central hook for almost all of the big budget titles it puts out

I agree with both of those statements.

Ultimately this is my concern; eye candy and ultra violence are a dead end. This medium needs to move forward if it's going to evolve meaningfully in ways that parallel the impact of films and novels. Sure plenty of "B" quality and indie games attempt to do this, to varying degrees of success. But the mainstream doesn't see that, so a meaningful seachange isn't happening. There are so many subjects that a AAA game could address, that wouldn't need constant combat and violence as the core hook. I do think we'll get there eventually, but it's going to taker longer than I for one would like.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I would argue films and novels have never moved beyond violence themselves, at least not the offerings most popular with mass audiences.

Not all games are violent, but the big budget ones targeting the widest number of people still tend to be. Not exactly much different from Hollywood in my opinion.

I'm not saying this is good or bad necessarily, just an observation.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I don't know that gaming will ever move beyond violence as one of the common forms of gameplay to be honest, due to the easy to express nature of it - it has easily depicted consequences in terms of 'press button to do violence, enemy dies', compared to the depth of consequence emotional or artistic interactions could bring.

Thats not to say that those kinda of games can't, won't or don't exist, but just that in terms of complexity, it makes sense that a simple binary attack and enemy dies interaction is so common.

dsheinem wrote:Here's a 2003 game that has some pretty visceral stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0NQJSGavKg. Are you saying that the uptick in graphical fidelity makes things that much worse? I just don't see that argument at all: it is clearly not a real person being hurt in 2003 nor in 2018.

As someone who feels affected by the violence in the modern incarnation and not in the older one, I will say that I am absolutely making that argument - the uptick in graphical fidelity is absolutely what makes this a problem for me. In the 2003 game it feels like looking at a comic book, or a ragdoll - it didn't affect me at all.

In The Last of Us it looks like real people, and real gore, and it affects me a lot. I mentioned Mortal Kombat before. Yes, in reality they're not doing anything much worse in terms of what is being depicted between 1993, 2003 and 2013, but I can tell you for a fact that of those 3 eras, the ONLY one that I find uncomfortable and unpleasant to view is the more recent one.

ESauced wrote:Didn’t watch the Last of Us Part 2 trailer but I don’t need to. Maybe they highlight the violence but I’m confident there will be a great game around that violence. You kill people in droves in the entire Uncharted series and the original The Last of Us and those games are fantastic. I’m sure Part 2 will be one of the best PS4 games made. I just picked up a PS4 primarily for when it comes out.

I'm sure the game provides better context for this and it somehow feels less comfortable when you're engaged (it's a phenomenon I've experienced myself) but as a trailer, I found it's focus on gore exceedingly uncomfortable to watch. I said the same about E3 trailers a few years back when the Tomb Raider reboot was first shown - every single trailers that year seemed to feature someone being stabbed in the face.

Uncharted is a false equivolence. Yes, you murder lots of people. But there's a very different experience for me between the 'shoot someone and they fall down' or 'slice someone and they explode in a puff of smoke' of some games and the 'slice someones neck and watch the way blood spurts out of it' or 'watch someones stomach be sliced open and the entrails spill out' of that trailer. The more abstract, the more comfortable I feel. The more gorey and realistic, the less I enjoy it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'll do my part to leave the E3 thread to a discussion of E3...I moved the violence discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=52175
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

dsheinem wrote:I'll do my part to leave the E3 thread to a discussion of E3...I moved the violence discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=52175

Thank god! No offence guys, but that discussion didn't interest me one bit.

So Nintendo's Direct eh? Pretty disappointing. But then Smash isn't a franchise I'm super into, so I can see why others will disagree with me. Especially as it's like the ultimate version of Smash.

I'm excited to play Fortnite though to see what all the fuss is about.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Nice Yakuza Kiwami 2 trailer from E3:
https://youtu.be/vng-2rETJK0

Mega hype, especially since Yakuza 6 left me feeling very confused. Kiwami 2 looks like it'll be one of the best.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:Nice Yakuza Kiwami 2 trailer from E3:
https://youtu.be/vng-2rETJK0

Mega hype, especially since Yakuza 6 left me feeling very confused. Kiwami 2 looks like it'll be one of the best.

And then we have 0 and Kiwami 1 coming to PC and the Fist of the North Star spin-off coming to PS4 in the US! It was a very good day for Yakuza fans UwU
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

https://www.destructoid.com/cyberpunk-2 ... 7936.phtml

God I can’t wait for this game. Some people in the comments section eluded to a faster paced Deus Ex.

Let me reiterate: I can’t wait for this game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Gunstar Green wrote:I would argue films and novels have never moved beyond violence themselves, at least not the offerings most popular with mass audiences.

I don't believe this is true.

For the highest-grossing films adjusted for inflation as of 2016, in the top ten, six of the films are not violence-centric; Gone with the Wind, Titanic, The Sound of Music, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The Ten Commandments, and Doctor Zhivago. Those six films do not constantly intermix violence into their narrative. The rest of the films Avatar, Star Wars, Jaws, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, provide far better context and meaningful impact of their violence woven into their respective plots, versus pretty much any violent game made thus far. Violence is not the point, nor is violence included just for the sake of violence... except for Jaws perhaps. I'll cede Jaws.

As for the top ten best selling novels of all time, only two could be considered consistently violent; The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. And it's pretty clear that violence is not the sole purpose of those works. Nor is it lauded via gratuitousness detail as overt spectacle the way TLOU2 is doing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

This E3 was not particularly a good one for me. I am excited for Metal Wolf Chaos and many of the Limited Run announcements (many of which I've been wanting physical versions of for a while), but that's about it for the most part. There's some other things that I would be potentially excited for, but I really need some gameplay to get me hyped for some of these announcements (like for the Elder Scrolls). Nintendo's conference was especially disappointing for me since I'm not big into Smash. You could give me any of the old ones and I'd be fine playing those haha.

But that's how it goes I guess ha.