Pinball Arcade loses the Williams license

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Pinball Arcade loses the Williams license

Post by CRTGAMER »

So many Williams pinball tables going away!. Doubtful if any will be available as archive backup for previous purchasers should a game console or PC fail or lose files after the end date.. At least some of the tables are on disc for older consoles.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

marurun

Post by marurun »

Erik_Twice wrote:
marurun wrote:
Erik_Twice wrote:These are terrible news. How does it affect the portable versions?

Same way it affects every version. You keep any tables you've bought, but once the license is done you won't be able to buy them any more. The company will continue to support existing purchases.

So, if I want it for, say, 3DS I should buy it now and get the tables because later on it will be impossible?

Yes, this is absolutely the case.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

CRTGAMER wrote:So many Williams pinball tables going away!. Doubtful if any will be available as archive backup for previous purchasers should a game console or PC fail or lose files after the end date.. At least some of the tables are on disc for older consoles.

Legally no, but android has a huge warez underground just like PC. All you'll have to do is search for something like Android, Pinball Arcade, All Seasons or Season 1-9 APK. If that doesn't work I don't know what would.

Beyond that, there's the Pinball Arcade Williams Collection for 3DS. Before the common namesake there was a Gottlieb and Williams collection going back as far as the Cube/PS2 era. A few seasons hit discs for the following generation like (1-2 maybe 1-3 I forget.) It's safe to say that Season 3/4 to 9 will be toast in time at least legally speaking.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think that Williams collection is also on PSP and Wii IIRC.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

CRTGAMER wrote:So many Williams pinball tables going away!. Doubtful if any will be available as archive backup for previous purchasers should a game console or PC fail or lose files after the end date.. At least some of the tables are on disc for older consoles.

Steam will not go away anytime soon and Farsight has stated they will continue to bugfix the Williams tables. So there is your archive backup.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Getting close to last call folks
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I think that Williams collection is also on PSP and Wii IIRC.

It is. And for fairly cheap, too. So a possible option if the digital ones go kapoot.
emilyidk

Post by emilyidk »

Yikes did I missed out any good stuffs? I hope I don't :( It's already august :(