Summer Games Challenge 2018 - begin when ready!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2018 - let's think about our list

Post by Key-Glyph »

Both LOOM and Lemmings have been on my lists for the past two or three years, so you're right! Ultima III as well. Most of these games I've started but never finished; I use the Challenge to try to fix this issue, so until they get done, they'll most likely pop up every summer.

I almost beat Maniac Mansion from within Day of the Tentacle when I was in high school, but I accidentally killed Bernard. I 1) was heartbroken and 2) hadn't saved in a while, so I never went back to finish it. I've got an NES copy now, though, which has some great tunes, so I'm motivated to give that version a try.

Seriously though. Bernard was on the top rung of a pool ladder but drowned when it filled with water. Top rung. What the hell Bernard. Your head was above the waterline. :lol:

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Downloaded Red Faction on my ps4 and i'm liking very much from what i played, tomorrow morning i'm free from work so i'm playing all morning XD.
Also started up Gauntlet Dark Legacy on modded my wii via Nintendon't and i gotta say, using the pro wireless controller to play gamecube games is awesome.
The game is all i've hoped, arcade hack n slash to the bone, simple and addicting,
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Key-Glyph wrote:CFFJR! Even if you don't play anything, please stick around and post your thoughts in here! I miss you, dude. That summer you helped me with that freaking first boss in Earthworm Jim was such a highlight.

Heh, I went back and reread some of that thread. 2015. It was a fun year. Glad to know it made for a good memory.

I will try. :wink:

---

I have actually been playing though, believe it or not. I've put about 8 hours in to Final Fantasy XII. Just escaped from the Leviathan, and I now have a complete party. And of course, I feel like I've barely started.

I'm enjoying the jobs/license board, and gambits are useful, though I need to unlock more slots for them. The game is kind of overwhelming with its options.

Jobs assigned so far:

Vaan - Monk
Balthier - Machinist
Fran - Archer
Basch - Bushi
Ashe - White Mage
Penelo - Black Mage

Still haven't decided what each character's second job will be. I'm considering making Vaan a Time Mage and Ashe a Knight, but other than that, dunno.

No idea when I'll get the opportunity to choose though. Might have a lot of time to think about it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Despite owning several games of the series i have NEVER EVER played one single FF to this day :shock:
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Never too late to start! I recommend playing 9, just because it's my favorite, but you can't really go wrong with this series. Even if you hate one entry, there's a good chance that you'll end up loving another.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Key-Glyph wrote:Seriously though. Bernard was on the top rung of a pool ladder but drowned when it filled with water. Top rung. What the hell Bernard. Your head was above the waterline. :lol:

RIP Bernard. Gone too soon. You were supposed to be the smart one. :|
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

nullPointer wrote:RIP Bernard. Gone too soon. You were supposed to be the smart one. :|

:lol:

Aiight guys, so I've fired up another unexpected backup pick instead of a core game: Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? I'd initially tried installing it in my Win95 VirtualBox virtual machine, but there were issues with the SoundBlaster capabilities and the game kept crashing. So, I installed it in DosBox via USB floppy drive with my original 3.5" disks instead, and it's working just fine.

First of all, every time I work with 3.5" floppies I'm struck by how incredibly satisfying the process is to me. It's like scratching an itch I didn't know I had. The solidness of the disks, that wonderful ker-CHUNK sound... these details underpinned most of my gradeschool life, and sometimes I forget that. These disks were somehow futuristic and mundane at the same time. Like video game cartridges, they struck that amazing balance between a fascinating technical achievement ("I can bring how many term papers back and forth to school on this?!") and carelessness-fostering indestructibility ("Eh, I just chucked it in the bottom of my backpack next to my lunch, it'll be fine").

Second of all, this game came with so much cool swag. A lot of my experiences in today's gaming world have made me feel lucky if I get a manual that's more than an insert; in Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego?, you not only get a manual, but one that is lovingly stylized in its entirety as a newspaper. You sit there and read it, unfolded, like a newspaper, with all the instructions cleverly laid out in article form. I mean, the effort and cleverness and care that went into this thing! But not only that, you also get dossiers of the V.I.L.E. henchmen in trading card form, complete with pictures and biographies filled to the brim with all manner of puns.

Anyway, I go off on tangents about manuals and pack-in reading materials a lot, but it really makes me sad that at some point companies decided to stop doing this. I'm not saying everyone should stylize their manual as some kind of ultra cool in-universe gimmick, but when I think back on how much joy I got out of reading booklets, I can't help but feel for kids today who could have potentially loved this stuff but missed that era.

I've solved one case so far and will be picking them off a lot in the coming days. This is a great game to get into while my husband is in the hardest part of recovery, because I can put it on hold at the drop of a hat at basically any time.

By the way, I've never once caught Carmen. This summer is gonna be it.
Last edited by Key-Glyph on Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Oh, i remember having some brief experience with this one in my youth, it even had a complete translation over here in Brazil, by far your accounts are the highlights of this topic, GREAT work! :o

Edit:
I had an amazing time with Gauntlet: Dark Legacy today, managed to get to the Lich but did not defeat him and decided to get to the second area, i'm trully in love with it.
Carmageddon on the other hand is killing me with it's grind, i'm tempted to use some cheat to unlock all the maps and play it as i please, almost 6hrs in and rank 81 :x
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Made some progress in Gauntlet Dark Legacy this weekend, i managed to kill not only the Lich and the Dragon, but the Chimera as well, i grinded to the point that i can easilly tank all the first 3 bosses and despite being only lvl 37 i've maxed out strength and defense \o/.
The more i play the more i get amazed by this little game, it's arcade roots are nothing less than sexy in all aspects.
3 bosses defeated, 8 more to go!
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

I played A LOT of Gauntlet and Carmageddon over the weekend and made good progress though i'm far from finish any of them.
The Sky realm my favourite so far, amazing draw distance and amazing enviroment.
What about you guys? Anything to report?