Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Summer Games Challenge 2018 - begin when ready!

by alienjesus Sun May 06, 2018 7:26 am

Hello all,

The sun is shining here in the UK (for once) and that means it must be coming up for that time once more - for the 9th year running, it's time for the annual Racketboy Forum Summer Games Challenge.

Every summer, for the past 8 years, members of the Racketboy forum have set themselves a goal to play some of the classic games they've been neglecting.

Forum user SnickerdOOdle (who has long since stopped posting here) began the concept back in 2010, and we've ran it every summer since. Here's the challenge exactly as Snickerd00dle described:

what I thought I would do is pick ten games that I own and have never beat, that are regarded as classics by most people and are also games that I really wish I had played through, games everyone talks about that I never ended up finishing, and beat all ten of them by the end of the summer.

Your definition of when the summer officially starts and ends can vary, and your definition of games which are regarded as classics definitely will. You also might not feel like you can manage 10, but less games is fine - the important thing is that you play some well regarded games you've been neglecting during the summer months, and post about it here to chat with all your racketboy friends.

So, which games are you ashamed to have never beaten? Or even worse, never started? Which classics do you wish you could discuss when they come up in conversation? What classics that have been on the shelf untouched for the past 5 years? Time to clear your backlog!

Discuss your list of games here, take inspiration from your fellow racketeers (it's more fun if you're both playing a game for the first time together!) and lets get to it!
Last edited by alienjesus on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2018 - let's think about our list

by pierrot Sun May 06, 2018 12:15 pm

I think my participation would be extremely limited to non-existent, just because beating the classics still in my collection isn't much of a focal point for my gaming habits. I may as well indulge myself in making a list, though. Initially this will be a pretty short list, that I'll likely add to later. For now, I've thought of:

1) Contra
2) Super C (I don't technically own either of these, but I have an N8--)
3) Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes (--Yeah, I know, but I don't have the PS1 original anymore, and have never really cared about the game outside of the VR Missions)
4) Resident Evil 4
5) Ecco the Dolphin
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sun May 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes! It's time!! AJ, thanks for putting this together yet again. I start looking forward to the Summer Games Challenges literally the same day they end, so I'm psyched that the planet has rolled around enough for another new beginning!

Each year I try to pick four core games I already own to focus on, one new acquisition to be the fifth core title, and five swappables that can be substituted if the fancy strikes. Typically I beat at least five total, which is my overall goal going in. Here's what I'm thinking so far.

Core:

1. Lemmings (GEN)
2. Maniac Mansion (NES)
3. The Last Express (DOS)
4. StarTropics (NES)
5. Metroid Fusion (GBA) <-- acquisition

Swappables:

6. LOOM (ScummVM)
7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica (PS2)
8. Where in America's Past is Carmen Sandiego? (DOS)
9. Tetris (GB)
10. Ultima III: Exodus (NES)

Questions: Does StarTropics count as a classic? It's kind of a classic in VGM circles, but I have no idea how that translates into the straight-up gaming world. That said, The Last Express deserves to be considered a classic, so I will entertain no arguments there. :lol:

pierrot, I'd be really excited if we both managed to pull off Code Veronica. I've played through the first disc with a friend and gotten a handful of hours in on my own, but I took a break and never saw it through. Definitely the scariest RE I've ever played.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Lemmings has a great OST on Genesis. My issue with the game, along with many of the other console ports, is the lack of mouse support. Lemmings is literally a game where you drag around a cursor and click on things. It's not too hard to find a CD-ROM DOS copy these days; that's what I got a few years ago and is now the only way I play Lemmings. But, you, Key, may be fine with a controller!

StarTropics is most surely a classic. And the third and fourth Ultima on NES are awesome. Different from the source material, but still tons of fun.

pierrot wrote:I think my participation would be extremely limited to non-existent, just because beating the classics still in my collection isn't much of a focal point for my gaming habits

This is where I'm at, though I will enjoy lurking.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sun May 06, 2018 1:32 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Lemmings has a great OST on Genesis. My issue with the game, along with many of the other console ports, is the lack of mouse support. Lemmings is literally a game where you drag around a cursor and click on things. It's not too hard to find a CD-ROM DOS copy these days; that's what I got a few years ago and is now the only way I play Lemmings. But, you, Key, may be fine with a controller!

Agree with all of the above. I actually thought it was impossible to beat the Genesis version with the controller; I got stuck as a kid and a teenager on one level and just couldn't make it happen. Then I bought a Mega Mouse and found out the game wasn't compatible with it! Oh noooo! Still, I'm gonna grit my teeth and get this done. It's one of my few remaining white whales from the 90s.

Also, pierrot, I forgot to mention: hyped about the Ecco potential. If you do play it, remind me to tell you about a feature in the game that isn't mentioned in the manual and is almost essential for surviving the game. It's something I either discovered by accident, or read about in the Tides of Time manual and went back to try in the original. Lo and behold, it was there all along!
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 pm

looks like I am checking back in on the forums at just the right time...
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
Nert
8-bit

by Nert Sun May 06, 2018 2:31 pm

I added my list in the interest check thread but here it is again:

Batman nes (got to second boss I think)
DuckTales (haven't touched)
Ninja turtles nes (haven't touched)
Life force (made it through first level)
Ocarina of Time (haven't touched)
Banjo Kazooie (haven't touched)
Chrono Trigger (haven't touched)
Earthbound (first town)
Super Metroid (haven't touched)
Super Mario Sunshine (haven't touched)

I'm thinking about making some revisions, it's very Nintendo heavy, I do have Genesis, Dreamcast, PlayStation and TurboGrafx stuff I need to get to as well. Not sure what I'd even get rid of though
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sun May 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:pierrot, I'd be really excited if we both managed to pull off Code Veronica. I've played through the first disc with a friend and gotten a handful of hours in on my own, but I took a break and never saw it through. Definitely the scariest RE I've ever played.

I've actually beaten Code Veronica. I played the director's cut version on the Dreamcast. It was great, I loved that game. It's definitely my favorite of the REs that I've played: 1, 2, 3, and CV.

I was thinking of, a little begrudgingly, playing the more action-adventure, numbered RE4, with Leon Kennedy. It doesn't super excite me, but everyone says it's really good, so who knows.

Key-Glyph wrote:Then I bought a Mega Mouse and found out the game wasn't compatible with it! Oh noooo!

It isn't? That's dumb. Lemmings 2 is compatible with the Mega Mouse, though, right?

Key-Glyph wrote:Also, pierrot, I forgot to mention: hyped about the Ecco potential. If you do play it, remind me to tell you about a feature in the game that isn't mentioned in the manual and is almost essential for surviving the game. It's something I either discovered by accident, or read about in the Tides of Time manual and went back to try in the original. Lo and behold, it was there all along!

I could end up needing a lot of your help with the game, if I get to it, but I don't want to get your hopes up. This isn't the first (or second, or third, or fourth...) time I've thought about giving Ecco an honest shot.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Whoops. I got excited and my brain patched "Code Veronica" over "RE4." Nevertheless! Dual-wielding Resident Evils would be fun. I watched my husband play through RE4, so I'll be really interested in comparing your thoughts to mine and his.

Nert, you will have many, many summers of challenges to get through it all. I wouldn't worry about diversifying your list or anything like that unless you really want to. Play what moves you. If it's a Nintendo summer, it's a Nintendo summer! I think my list a few years back was primarily NES games I'd given up on in my childhood. It felt awesome to conquer them all in one season.

As for the Sega Mega Mouse, pierrot... nope. As far as I can tell, there are only eleven Genesis games compatible with it, and sixteen Sega CD games. Here's a breakdown on Sega Retro. None are Lemmings titles. Total bummer.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun May 06, 2018 4:15 pm

I guess I'll drop some of my ideas for this year in here. Some of these are undoubtedly classics, others are perhaps a bit more dubious, but I guess I'll throw them out to the wolves. There's more than 10, but I'll work it down.

Actraiser (SNES)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
GoldenEye 007 (N64)
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64)
MUSHA (Wii VC)
Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi (Binding Blade) (GBA)
Mother 3 (GBA)
Resident Evil (PS3)
Mega Man 8 (PS4)
Suikoden (Vita)
Rainbow Islands (SMS)
Ecco: The Tides of Time (MD)
Shenmue 2 (DC)
Crazy Taxi (DC)
Jet Set Radio Future (XBox)
Super Star Soldier (PCE)
Star Control 2 (3DO)
Return to General Gaming