Summer Game Challenge 2018 - Should it go ahead?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else

Summer Games Challenge 2018 - Yay or Nay?

All the yay!
86%
Nay I say!
14%

Total votes: 14

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Game Challenge 2018 - Should it go ahead?

Post by Exhuminator »

alienjesus wrote:1. If the challenge ran again this year, would you participate?

I wouldn't. Between my personal free gaming choices, and participating in the new (and vastly improved) TR, my gaming time is quite satiated as is. Adding a third pillar such as Summer Game Challenge just isn't going to work for me. However, I can see Summer Game Challenge being a useful alternative for those who opt out of TR months during the summer.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Key-Glyph wrote:Lots of stuff

Hey, so this was a great post and I'd just like to clarify some stuff about why I made this thread in the first place.

I have to admit I'm confused by this thread. Why would the Summer Games Challenge have to prove itself in either number of participants or its participants' strict adherence to rules in order to exist?

So that's not at all what I was going for, and my second point in the original thread was mostly a joke. What's important to me, amongst all of the various 'playing games and talking about it' threads on the site, is that people are engaging and talking and enjoying themselves and the discussion. That's true of the Summer Challenge, it's true of the games beaten thread (which was also seen as some kind of pissing contest when it started!) it's true of Together Retro (and despite what you've seen and commented on in your post, it IS what Together Retro is about - there should not be any real pressure to hit a specific target of participation and it's definitely not about making playing games into work).

What I was worried about was that a lot of people choosing themes for Together Retro have put a lot of thought and effort into doing so, and I didn't want to make the people who will be choosing in the summer months feel like people weren't engaging because they were otherwise distracted. The best bit about playing these games in either Together Retro or the Summer Challenge is discussing them on the forum and egging each other along (nicely, no contests here!) and I wanted to make sure that we weren't going to be splitting the forum between the two threads if they ran concurrently and creating some sort of artificial rift between who is engaging with what.

My point is that I wasn't worried about legitimacy of the games or any of that other shit. I was trying to be sure that we had the people willing to engage and keep what makes it so special. And I was trying to check to make sure that in doing so we would still have people engaging with Together Retro and keeping what makes that special too.

It's job-ifying one of the only communal gaming spaces I have left in which I can figuratively crack open a soda and bag of chips with upbeat friends and leisurely enjoy the games of my youth unjudged. Please don't take that away from us.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone would be around to figuratively crack open a soda and play soem games with me. Please don't read into my post the wrong way, I am 100% about makign sure games are fun and not work. And hey, I have no authority to take it away from everyone because I don't run the event or anything. I was just excited to start the thread and wanted to make sure the interest was still there before I did.

It can't be canceled, because it doesn't need to be approved! So I'm going to be having a great time this summer, and I hope you'll all join me. I'll bring extra figurative chips. No parents, no rules!

Excellent, sounds good. I'll bring the figurative soda.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I'm so sorry if you felt attacked, AJ. I know you were just trying to gather us up for another summer of fun. I greatly appreciate that you generate the thread every year, and I obviously totally missed anything that was supposed to be a joke. That's completely my bad. I just felt sad that maybe you thought you needed to justify the Summer Games Challenge in some way for it to exist, and I got defensive for it -- and, by extension, for you, because I kind of think of you as being one and the same entity.

I guess it kinda felt like a younger sibling asking if they could play with the family's joint pool of action figures by saying things like, "I promise to make up a good story with them!" and I wanted to be like, "Kid, you are allowed to play with those action figures no matter what! You don't even need a story! You can even toss them in the mud or stomp them around in a cake for an hour! It's totally your call and it's breaking my heart that you think you need to justify yourself or something!"

I do get the concern for the folks who are running Together Retro threads, because from what I saw, that is a boatload of work. I would certainly hope they don't feel marginalized if participation dips. But it looks like the Together Retro folks will be in full swing, and even if the Challenge were just you and me, AJ, it would be 1000% worth it to me -- so I'm psyched for all and will happy to enjoy some figurative vinegar crisps with you (if you have some to spare and share). :D

Again though, I am very sorry if you felt like I was pointing a finger or criticizing you, and regret that I didn't pick up on any phantom blue text. I will try to be more aware and careful in the way I present my thoughts next time.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Key! I'm with you! We can have our cake and eat it too! How many folks sit out of a TR month because of the content? They should have a place and this fun little jaunt should be just the thing! Plus, the summer challenge spans multiple months. There clearly is enough time and there can even be some crossover between it and together retro!

Just chill and have fun!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ack

Post by Ack »

As someone who often picks TR titles centered around horror or more infamous features, I don't mind folks not participating. I just want people to take at least a little time and learn about an area of games they may know little about. For me, the Summer Games Challenge gave another means for folks to explore, so I think it's great. I have participated in the past, and in some years I have wiped out all ten of my titles, while in others I merely knocked out one (never start with Daikatana). I see it as a way folks can discuss what constitutes a "classic" and for a chance for folks to explore things that many others may get to chime in on.

One of my favorite things that I see in this thread every year is how folks say they are "jealous" for all the new folks getting to an experience a beloved title for the first time. That's what I like about the SGC. I think you guys should do it. I don't know if I will participate this year, but I am happy to talk about the games.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Hopefully my comments didn't come off as poo-pooing the Summer Game Challenge! I don't think so ... but of course conversational nuance can be easily lost in online communication. Even if I don't participate, I totally dig reading about the experiences of others and contributing to the thread where I can.

Nert wrote:Batman nes (got to second boss I think)
DuckTales (haven't touched)
Ninja turtles nes (haven't touched)
Life force (made it through first level)
Ocarina of Time (haven't touched)
Banjo Kazooie (haven't touched)
Chrono Trigger (haven't touched)
Earthbound (first town)
Super Metroid (haven't touched)
Super Mario Sunshine (haven't touched)

AFAIC this is a damned fine list my man! The amount of awesome on here is off the charts! I'm completely looking forward to hearing about your experiences with these. Just out of curiosity, what version of Ocarina of Time are you considering? I played the enhanced 3DS port at the end of last year and was quite pleased with it.
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

nullPointer wrote:Hopefully my comments didn't come off as poo-pooing the Summer Game Challenge! I don't think so ... but of course conversational nuance can be easily lost in online communication. Even if I don't participate, I totally dig reading about the experiences of others and contributing to the thread where I can.

Nert wrote:Batman nes (got to second boss I think)
DuckTales (haven't touched)
Ninja turtles nes (haven't touched)
Life force (made it through first level)
Ocarina of Time (haven't touched)
Banjo Kazooie (haven't touched)
Chrono Trigger (haven't touched)
Earthbound (first town)
Super Metroid (haven't touched)
Super Mario Sunshine (haven't touched)

AFAIC this is a damned fine list my man! The amount of awesome on here is off the charts! I'm completely looking forward to hearing about your experiences with these. Just out of curiosity, what version of Ocarina of Time are you considering? I played the enhanced 3DS port at the end of last year and was quite pleased with it.

Probably the N64 one on Virtual console. I prefer playing the original before the remake most of the time and I'm not super into handhelds anyway.

From what I've heard over the years I'm sure I'll be enjoying every one of these, but I am excited to share my thoughts! I am always caught up in the newer or more familiar stuff so I rarely get to go through my backlog, looking forward to it for sure.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I'd like to say I'd participate but I've said that the last two years and not done very well! Doesn't mean I think it should go though, it's always a good thread and as Key says, choosing the titles is half the fun. It might also be a good way for people to play some games they had lined up for TRs that came super close to being picked but lost out.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Ack wrote:I see it as a way folks can discuss what constitutes a "classic" and for a chance for folks to explore things that many others may get to chime in on.

Ideal expectations.

Ack wrote:....I see it as a way folks can discuss what constitutes a "classic" and have Dsh rip apart each and every one of their choices.

Reality :lol:
Ack

Post by Ack »

Truth be told, I took the old man Ds routine as light-hearted, but with a grain of truth about what constitutes "classic" in any given sense.