No so great games you have wonderful nostalgia for?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: No so great games you have wonderful nostalgia for?

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:Hey, Sonic R is a decent game.

No, not even. It's a mess. A charming mess and I love it but it's a mess.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Naw, it's not a mess. Once you adjust to the controls they behave predictably and precisely, the level design is good, the graphics are spectacular, and not just for the Saturn.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

PresidentLeever wrote:
nullPointer wrote:RoboWarrior - So yeah, this one I definitely have an over-inflated sense of nostalgia for even though it's a horrible, horrible game.

The gameboy sequel (Blaster Master Jr./Bomber King 2) is actually decent if you're willing to tread those waters again. Or maybe it's more of a nostalgic case for me :P

You know it's interesting, but after slamming it so hard in this thread I had to look it up again. I hadn't realized this fact (nor the fact that is was developed by Hudsosoft). I hadn't even thought of this game in years, much less played it, but after these two revelations I may have to pick it up again for some re-evaluation. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember! (Although to be fair I've never been super-huge on Bomberman either, so that may have some bearing here)
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I like that Gamecube Spider-Man too (although I played it on Xbox). For that mater I like a lot of mediocre Spider-Man games. Aside from the Xbox one I like the ones on PlayStation, the Genesis Spider-Man and Maximum Carnage.

I thought of a good one. Muppet Race Mania. I adore that game for the wealth of content and Muppet fan-service (that used to be an innocent phrase and I don’t mean it the new way), but the racing mechanics are awful. It’s like every racer took 5 shots before the race. For some reason everyone sways all the time and the controls are like every level is on ice.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Great topic idea ... can definitely look back at some titles I have nostalgia for, that even back then I knew weren't great games, but I have them tied to good memories.

SNES:
Best of the Best Championship Karate - I got this game as a gift from my parents, not sure if it was on Christmas day in '92 when I received my SNES, or shortly after. But the controls in this game are pretty tough to deal with and the graphics are mediocre. But it's kinda cool you can customize how your character looks, and can also customize your fighter's moves. Anyway, the SNES was my first console and I have good memories tied to the games I received then.

Sega Genesis:

Last Battle - My older cousins who got me into gaming in the early 90's had this title and didn't want it, they had never randomly given me a game before but decided to give me this one. The controls in this game are tough, and the enemy characters flying off the screen look ridiculous. I can see why they didn't want this one lol, but I was excited to get a game as a kid. This is the only game they ever gave me, and that memory brings me back to good times.

Captain America and the Avengers - I haven't played this title in so long, probably close to 25 years -- I really would like to grab a copy to revisit it. But growing up, this is one of the few Genesis titles my friend had when we were kids. I remember being cramped in his apartment bedroom (shared by him and his brothers), and playing this game co-op. One of the few memories I have hanging at his house.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Sonic R isn't that bad. I never played the console version but I had it on PC and it looked and handled pretty well.

And I do agree about Keith Courage (Mashin Eiyuden Wataru) as it's a good B- effort. It's not bad, it's not even average given the year as it's kind of decent, but it's nothing A+ to B range solid greatness either, just slightly nicer than average as it gets enough right but if it doesn't click it can get boring ... it's no Bonk/Genjin.
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

Pit Fighter!!!

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Donald Duck's Playground

Donald Duck's Playground was an edu-tainment title by Sierra. Like most supposedly "educational" video games, the player doesn't actually learn much. Apparently you can start and quit any job at your leisure. I learned that you can get a job just by walking in the front door. Also, I learned that about five minutes of menial work generates enough money to purchase the most bitchin' playground equipment in the world.

As stupid as the game was, I still have a nostalgic love for the rocket slide. :mrgreen:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm not sure how people feel about it as it's like a borderline educational kids poor mans Myst (same company made it) that I still care for. Recently grabbed it when I found that $10 netbook for my daughter so she could enjoy it too as GoG offers it for $6.

The Manhole Masterpiece Edition.
https://www.gog.com/game/the_manhole_ma ... ce_edition

It's a storybook gateway game really as it mixes up Alice in Wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia books, and random other titles all into one with lots of creativity to it and weird humor as well. Much of anything can be clicked and have some effect from yelling touching fire to a doorway into a volcano, a straw slurping statue to reveal another door, the wardrobe from Narnia books, etc. Pretty solid, came on a CD originally (this version which I had back in 90 on my first PC package) so it has decent color, basic animation and tons of recorded audio (vocal, etc.) It's by no means great or even all that good, but it's a good now and again exploration if you're bored, and for kids, fun to get around.
jacjon

Post by jacjon »

Old lord of the rings third person game on PS2 from my childhood but swear I can't think of the name.