No so great games you have wonderful nostalgia for?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
nullPointer
128-bit

Re: No so great games you have wonderful nostalgia for?

Post by nullPointer »

jacjon wrote:Old lord of the rings third person game on PS2 from my childhood but swear I can't think of the name.

Possibly the EA adaptation(s) for either Two Towers or Return of the King? I too have some nostalgia for those if so. They weren't necessary horrible, but they certainly weren't great either.

Hey welcome to the forums by the way!
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Evolution: The World of Sacred Device
Evolution 2: Far off Promise.

Absolutely love both of these games, both routinely get low review scores haha. They are RPGs on DC that I grew up with and I swear they are underrated.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Lego Island, Lego Racers, and Lego Rock Raiders for PC. From the ages of about 7 to 13 I couldn't get enough of Lego, so I adored the first wave of Lego video games.
Old Gregg

Post by Old Gregg »

The original fable. I love everything about that game.... with exception to the Hobbes. Screw those jerks.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Tanooki wrote:I'm not sure how people feel about it as it's like a borderline educational kids poor mans Myst (same company made it) that I still care for. Recently grabbed it when I found that $10 netbook for my daughter so she could enjoy it too as GoG offers it for $6.

The Manhole Masterpiece Edition.
https://www.gog.com/game/the_manhole_ma ... ce_edition

It's a storybook gateway game really as it mixes up Alice in Wonderland, Chronicles of Narnia books, and random other titles all into one with lots of creativity to it and weird humor as well. Much of anything can be clicked and have some effect from yelling touching fire to a doorway into a volcano, a straw slurping statue to reveal another door, the wardrobe from Narnia books, etc. Pretty solid, came on a CD originally (this version which I had back in 90 on my first PC package) so it has decent color, basic animation and tons of recorded audio (vocal, etc.) It's by no means great or even all that good, but it's a good now and again exploration if you're bored, and for kids, fun to get around.

Did not expect anyone to comment about this game here! Apparently it was surprisingly influential, there was a great article on the Digital Antiquarian about it.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

As a 13 year old despite it being a little over my age group I sunk a lot of hours on it just as down time trying to see what every little thing did back when it was new. The computer I had came with it along with a disc I wish I could track down that had dozens of excellent late 80s DOS games on it and it blew them visually and for audio entirely out of the water. It in a way was like some weird parallel of Dragon's Lair to what it was to arcades in 1983. My daughter being old enough now I remembered GoG had it so I grabbed a copy for her to enjoy. It's nothing great, good for that age group though but still a little on the obtuse end given how hand holding stuff is now so I felt it fit.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Probably Back to the Future 2&3 and Dick Tracy both on NES. I think it's safe to say they're legitimately terrible games but I wasted many hours playing them as a kid regardless.
Nert
8-bit

Post by Nert »

Old Gregg wrote:The original fable. I love everything about that game.... with exception to the Hobbes. Screw those jerks.

Huge Fable fan here. It came out right around the time where I was the age that thought farting on command was hilarious
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

nullPointer wrote:
jacjon wrote:Old lord of the rings third person game on PS2 from my childhood but swear I can't think of the name.

Possibly the EA adaptation(s) for either Two Towers or Return of the King? I too have some nostalgia for those if so. They weren't necessary horrible, but they certainly weren't great either.

Hey welcome to the forums by the way!

There was another set of Lord of the Rings games on PS2 not attached to the films. The Movie games were well received. The non EA games were poorly reviewed. I think it was from Sierra.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Segata wrote:There was another set of Lord of the Rings games on PS2 not attached to the films. The Movie games were well received. The non EA games were poorly reviewed. I think it was from Sierra.

Yeah I have a vague recollection for those as well, and I think you might be right on Sierra? I couldn't remember if they were third person, but I suppose given the era it would be weird if they weren't.