Best Way To Play The Mass Effect Trilogy PC With A Game Pad?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Best Way To Play The Mass Effect Trilogy PC With A Game Pad?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I bought the trilogy cheap a few years ago on Origin. I wasn't really paying attention and didn't notice they didn't come with controller support. After i bought them i looked around and found a bunch of hacky, half working ways to add controller support. Sorta put it on the back burner and forgot about it. I have been thinking about going though the games again. I have them on 360 and PC. Never played the PC versions.

Anyways, has there been an improvement in the controller support over the last few years? Has anyone here beat the games with them? And do the mods work with the Origin version of the game? Or do you need to use the pirated versions?

(And no i cant just play with a mouse and keyboard. I've never been able to for most PC games. I hate it with a passion. lol. I only got into PC games when they FINALLY got a controller standard figured out.)
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Best Way To Play The Mass Effect Trilogy PC With A Game

Post by casterofdreams »

It’s actually pretty tough to play the PC versions of Mass Effect trilogy with anything outside of mouse and keyboard. I’ve tried this in the past using programs like Xpadder and using my experience from paying the trilogy on the 360 and PS3 to try to make it work and I couldn’t get it to work properly.

It been awhile but if I remember correctly the issues i was having involved contextual buttons. For example: the PC has a separate button for “activate” and “punch” but on the 360, one button is used for both depending on if you’re in front of a thing you need to activate. Otherwise you’d be punching the thing you need to activate on PC because the software wasn’t designed with accounting for the same bottom used for different situations. This isn’t exactly the issue with using a game pad with Mass Effect but i wanted to paint a clear enough picture for you.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Yea i gave up and bought the trilogy for PS3 (NIB for 30 CAD). I have played them all like 4 times each on 360.. figured id see how bad/good it runs on the ps3 for myself hehe :D
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I've gone through a run on the trilogy about 2 years ago on the PS3. No real issues although there was one piece of DLC that was not released for ME1 that was on the 360. It wasn't an exclusive thing it's just the developers lost the source code to port it to the PS3 and didn't bother to recreate it. Not missing much anyway.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

casterofdreams wrote:I've gone through a run on the trilogy about 2 years ago on the PS3. No real issues although there was one piece of DLC that was not released for ME1 that was on the 360. It wasn't an exclusive thing it's just the developers lost the source code to port it to the PS3 and didn't bother to recreate it. Not missing much anyway.

Doesn't the PS3 version of ME2 run on the same engine as ME3, which was different than ME2 360? If that makes sense...

I've been thinking of grabbing the PS3 collection sometime to replay them if those versions were good. I never played all the DLC for 2-3 either. No disc swapping (I assume?) would be nice too.

As stated above, EA's PC support for last gen stuff has been pretty terrible and it seems like way too much of a headache to play these on PC with controllers and all.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I believe they all run under the same Unreal 3 engine.

Coding for the Cell processor made it difficult to have parity between the PS3 and 360 in terms on how well they run but I didn’t see any issue when I did a PS3 run.

I recommend getting the trilogy for the PS3. It comes with the most built in DLC of all three versions of that release (the 360 was the poorest in that regard).

Also yeah, no disc swapping. One disc per game. Gotta love that Blu-ray Disc capacity.