Games NOT Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games NOT Beaten 2018

Post by noiseredux »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Lauren
Have you played Phantasy Star Online? It's better than all the games that ape its design.

Truth. Phantasy Star Online is perfection. The closest I've gotten to a 'spiritual successor' has been Destiny although those games are first person so your mileage may vary. Monster Hunter World also gave me the feels - but PSO is just better. I'm going to attempt getting PSO2 running on the Switch soon.

And lol, noise, I like how this post jumped from Game Not Beaten to Games Beaten within a couple of hours. I like to think you had an epiphany last night.

Haha yeah. For some reason I thought there were like 12 'zones' in the story mode, but I was in the mood to switch over to playing Puyo Tetris online instead as that's really what that game has always been. It was sort of go-to game for playing a few competitive rounds before bed. Anyway, last night I fired it up and figured I'd play a bit more of the story mode, only to discover that I had only three levels left to play before beating it.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I have not played Phantasy Star Online, but I want to! I need to get a copy first though haha. Is it better to play the Dreamcast or GameCube version?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Both are very good.

The one on GC has some additional content. It's essentially the Dreamcast content ("Episode I") plus an addition expansion pack type thing ("Episode II").

I actually like it on DC better. I've never been crazy about Episode II - it feels rehashed and phoned-in, with a bunch of recycled boss and enemy designs. I prefer just playing Episode I on DC, which wraps up and ends nice and succinctly. Also, I feel the game is played best with the DC controller. Finally, I'd wager that the DC original is still the cheaper route.

One more thing, do NOT get the Xbox version.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Both are very good.

The one on GC has some additional content. It's essentially the Dreamcast content ("Episode I") plus an addition expansion pack type thing ("Episode II").

I actually like it on DC better. I've never been crazy about Episode II - it feels rehashed and phoned-in, with a bunch of recycled boss and enemy designs. I prefer just playing Episode I on DC, which wraps up and ends nice and succinctly. Also, I feel the game is played best with the DC controller. Finally, I'd wager that the DC original is still the cheaper route.

One more thing, do NOT get the Xbox version.

Sounds like I'll go for the Dreamcast version then! If the extra content is nothing special then I'd rather not spend extra for it (also I don't have many Dreamcast games anyway).

Never heard of the Xbox version before. I wouldn't ever go for it anyway (not a huge Xbox fan), but what's wrong with that version?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the Xbox version is literally unplayable now. It's just a coaster. Get the Dreamcast version - it's cheap and has all the good stuff you need.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah Xbox version required a connection, even for the single player stuff. Can't connect the game these days though, so it's a useless disc.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I would just play Phantasy Star Online on PC, honestly. Its free, it still has a thriving community, and the Ephinia server is meant to be as closely accurate to the original DC/GC games as possible, with only minor quality of life improvements (You don't have to tag enemies to get xp in multiplayer, which was dumb, and everyone gets their own drops, so no redbox jacking).

Plus, then you get to participate in an online community, which, at least for its time, was one of PSO's bigger appeals. And since its an old game, you aren't flooded with edgelords and memes, its just older gamers that genuinely enjoy the game and love showing new players the ropes.

If I had to pick a console version to play, though, the GC version would win hands down. Episode 2 is pretty half-baked, I agree, but Ver 1 doesn't even have red boxes (The thrill of seeing those drop is beautiful), and a lot of the really interesting weapons are not present. Plus, you get the option for a (admittedly somewhat flawed) couch co-op, more character saves, more mag colors for those adorable kittie friends and such. I love the game in any form, but I couldn't go back to the DC versions now, other than for historical reasons.

If you really want to get the DC version, though, at least get Ver 2, since it gets slightly closer to the excellence that the GC version and later Blue Burst (PC) are. Its still not close to as good imo, but its better than Ver 1.

Also, noise, if you (or anyone) needs help setting up PSO2, just hit me up, I'd be more than happy to help.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

noiseredux wrote:the Xbox version is literally unplayable now. It's just a coaster. Get the Dreamcast version - it's cheap and has all the good stuff you need.

Untrue. If you have an oxbox live account and a softmodded oxbox you can hex edit the live account and get PSO to run. It will never play on the server though.
AnneBinette

Post by AnneBinette »

Yes, it is good question, the game I want to play but yet not started is Monster Hunter World and Sea of Thieves. Soon I am going to play it as soon as I will complete my current games. I have heard that monster hunter world is a good game, does it wort playing, any suggestions?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Monster Hunter World is a good game, probably the best Monster Hunter game to date, and the most approachable and new-player-friendly. If challenging fights against giant monsters, preferably with other people, sounds fun to you, I'd say check it out.

As for other recommendations, what sort of games are you looking for? Any certain platforms or genres?

My shot-in-the-dark suggestion, since I noticed you recently beat Persona 5 and Kingdom Hearts II, would be Nier: Automata. It plays somewhat similar to KH in that its an Action RPG, but its combat is really solid (Done by the same people that made Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc), its a gorgeous game, its music is god-tier, and its narrative is quite unlike anything I've played. Its got a healthy amount of content, too.