Games NOT Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Games NOT Beaten 2018

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I can't believe we don't have one of these threads SO far into 2018!
Regardless, here I am startin' it up. Better late than never! :lol:

Of Mice and Sand (3DS)

This is a game where you control a big tank full of anthropomorphic mice as they use it to roll around the desert to collect treasure and fight monsters. It sounded really cool, it got good reviews, and it was on the top of the 3DS sales on the eShop in Japan for quite a while when I looked last year. It just got announced that it's coming to PC and PS4 later this year, so I figured I'd throw down the 7.50 and get it on the Japanese eShop to see what all the fuss was about. In retrospect, I really should've watched some videos on it :P

This game is basically Fallout Shelter but with a hard victory condition (I assume). You can use the resources at hand to build stations on your tank. You can put build queues on each station to have your little mice build things in succession. You use the Bridge station to tell you tank to go from point to point on the map, and you run over materials on the way. You use the materials to build parts that you can use to upgrade your work stations, build more stations, and fulfill quests at the outposts you go between for cash, fuel, and items. You eventually get enough cash to buy a new tank you come across or buy information of a new outpost to go to.

This is the game, and it all comes down to a colossal exercise in active waiting. Waiting to go between areas, waiting for stuff to craft, waiting to complete quests by collecting enough materials and crafting enough things. It even makes you wait MORE because all of your crafting stations (and their upgrades) get destroyed when you get a new tank, so now you gotta build it ALL again. It all needs to be done in real time as you actively play (no Animal Crossing-style leaving it to grow itself), and it just comes down to tedium more than anything else because the game just isn't that interesting to play in the first place. Even the monster fights are just letting the mice run to their combat stations and letting the battle happen automatically, since you control neither them nor the tank directly. The lore is kinda interesting, something like the mice fled to this planet from beyond the stars, but it really can't hold up the uninteresting gameplay.

I'm sure there are people who would enjoy something like this one their 3DS or Switch, but there are so many free games on mobile that have this, I just really do not see the appeal of this $8 game ($10 on Switch) for your 3DS. If I have my 3DS or Switch, I'd rather be using it for more engaged playing experiences than just time-wasting I can do on some phone game (or even browsing Twitter). I cannot see people flocking to play this on their PS4's or Steam when it comes out soon. It's not an especially bad game, but I find it a very hard one to recommend.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Games NOT Beaten 2018

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Apparently Partridge and I are the only ones who bitch out on games. =/

I finally officially gave up on Circuit Dude.

Circuit Dude marked a first for me. This was the first time that I ever had someone reach out to me and ask me to review his game on my blog. Crait, the game's dev, even sent me a Steam code for the game to review it, so first and foremost, I'd like to extend a personal thank you to him as well as an apology for how long it's taken me to get this review written.

Circuit Dude is an extremely simplistic puzzle game that spans 100 levels. You play as Circuit Dude, and you have to navigate the game's puzzles to help him build his new invention. The game starts off ridiculously easy, but by level 40 or so, it gets challenging, and it's just plain hard from there on. Normally having seriously challenging levels in a puzzle game is a good thing, but unfortunately, Circuit Dude's gameplay isn't engaging enough to hold my interest through the increasingly tough puzzles. It's not that the game sucks by any means, but it gets repetitive and monotonous after a couple dozen levels, and I just wasn't enjoying it enough to justify the time commitment to keep progressing through the second half of the game.

The visuals are reminiscent of a later MS-DOS or early Windows 95 game, and while that's not a bad thing, it's probably not going to hold most folks' attention for 100 levels in 2018. The audio is similarly simplistic. They get the job done, and they're not bad, but they are - and I know I'm repeating myself, but I don't know how better to describe it - simple. For a game made by one guy, however, I really can't criticize it too harshly; it's not like I could make anything even remotely decent.

Circuit Dude is a cute albeit extremely simplistic puzzle game. The character it really likable, and the puzzles really are quite clever, but the gameplay is just too repetitive for me to want to power through the increasingly difficult levels. If you really love puzzle games or have a lot of patience, then this one might be up your alley, but while I feel bad saying this since the Steam code was freely given and this review was requested by the dev, it just didn't hold my interest.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Apparently Partridge and I are the only ones who bitch out on games. =/

I give up on a lot of games myself, but for me it's so difficult to talk about them! It would be a lot of "I tried game X but gave up super early since I was super bored" :oops:

As far as games I have given up on recently, the most recent one I can think of would be Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (WiiU). I'm so picky with platformers in the first place, and this one is just too tough for me. Apparently the new character in the Switch one makes it a lot easier, but honestly I don't have much interest in the game any more. Looks and sounds nice though!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I've actually given up a few this year too, but I decided to mainly focus on the positives and move on.

The ones I've given up on so far:

Kingdom Hearts (PS2) - Tedious and clunky. I put 10 hours or so in before I decided it really wasn't much fun. Too much randomly running back and forth over small repetitive worlds.

Age of Empires: The Age of Kings (DS) - This one was mechanically decent, but I just found myself completely bored when playing it. It was pretty by the numbers, and the complete lack of character meant there wasn't much I found compelling.

Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger (3DO) - Actually, I quite enjoyed this one, but I found the difficulty to be like a brick wall, and at least for now, I decided to focus my time on other games instead of spending 3 hours a night trying to beat a single mission in this one. I'll probably come back to it later.

I'm trying to be more decisive in quitting games this year - I'd rather be playing a game I like for 30 hours than a game I can tolerate for the same length of time.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

You break my heart for giving up on Age of Empires.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I've given up on two games recently!

Gardens Inc 2: The Road to Fame
Nothing too interesting here, but I'm giving up with this one because it keeps crashing every other level. Maybe there's a way to fix it, but it's not worth the effort for a game that is only alright.

This one might be a bit of an unpopular opinion but...

Xenoblade Chronicles
I did try and give this a fair shake (thanks to everyone who helped me out a bit), but I really don't like the combat. That combined with the fact that I either have to grind (not fun!) or do a lot of boring side quests (slow and not fun!) if I want to progress means a not fun time for me. It looks gorgeous and exploring around is pretty neat, but I can't progress by just wandering around without fighting anything. I know you can gain some exp that way, but at some point I would need to fight stuff. I think this game isn't made for me and that's just how it goes sometimes I guess.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I've given up on 27 games this year, most of them were indie trash that I got in a bundle or bought for 50 cents, played for 10-15 minutes and immediately deleted, I don't think any of them are worth discussing.

I currently am trying very hard to not give up on god of war, its not that gow is a bad game, but it is just not what I want out of the series and everytime I play it for a bit I get bored and shelve it for a few days(or weeks) before giving it another chance.

I think norse mythology is awesome, and I was super hyped going into the game, but there is just too much walking/story proportional to the combat. I have no problem with story driven games, but when I play god of war I want non-stop action. I also don't think the combat is as exciting as it was in previous games, I am still pretty early in (despite buying it on day one) but I just don't get a rush out of the combat like I did in previous games, and while I understand a series need to evolve the axe is a super lame weapon compared to the chains of olympus.

I think if it was the same game called something else I would enjoy it a lot more, I'm just not happy with the direction the series went in for this game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Bone mentioned in the Games Beaten thread that he'd like it if I posted lengthier thoughts on games more often. Usually I just put them on my personal blog and don't really mention anything about them. Sometimes I'll copy/paste that to the Games Beaten thread if I think of it. But for games that I walk away from, or in the case of the game below which is something I'll just kind of keep playing forever - I guess it makes sense to post about it here?

Puyo Puyo Tetris
2017, Sega

When Puyo Puyo Tetris was announced for the Switch it almost made me want to pre-order the new console. Almost. But instead I went and imported an Xbox One copy of the game from Japan. I played it briefly but it - surprisingly - didn't grab me for some reason. But when I finally decided to pull the trigger on a Switch last summer, Puyo Puyo Tetris was one of the first games I picked up for the system. It just seemed like a puzzle game should fit perfectly when the Switch was played in portable mode. And in fairness, portable mode is how I generally do play the Switch anyway. Well... it turns out I was right.

It turns out that my problem with Switch on Xbox One wasn't the game - it was the setting. I didn't want to play a puzzler like this sitting alone in my game room on a 4K TV. Nope. It turns out I wanted to play Puyo Tetris in the living room while listening to my wife binge Parenthood; or in the gazebo out on our back patio with the tablet propped up on a little table - each of us taking one of those teeny tiny little Joy-Cons off the sides of the system. It turns out that Puyo Puyo Tetris is the sort of game that totally shows off what makes the Switch's hardware so brilliant. And in turn the flexibility of the hardware elevates the game. There's really no difference between the Xbox One and Switch editions other than I have the freedom to choose HOW I want to play the Switch version.

So what is Puyo Puyo Tetris anyway? It's all right there in the title. It's two of the greatest puzzle games ever made being mashed together. It's easily the most exquisite combination of falling block puzzles since Tetris and Dr. Mario were crammed on to the same cartridge in the 90's. But how exactly does that work? Well, it works in a lot of ways. Which is to say there isn't a pure Puyo X Tetris formula here - instead it's all variations on themes. Maybe you want to just play some marathon Tetris? Fine. Maybe you and a friend want to see if you're better at Tetris than they are at Puyo Puyo? You can do that. You can play PvP that involves switching back and forth between the two games. You can literally play BOTH games at once where Tetrimos fall on top of your little Puyos. You can play solo or against AI or against friends in the same room or randos online. There's a story mode and an arcade mode or just endless modes. To put it mildly - while the idea of combining Puyo x Tetris seems exquisitely simple, Sega have crammed so much content into this release that it is infinitely replayable. Which is kind of insane as nobody ever needed any incentive to replay a Tetris or Puyo game, did they?

I will say that both puzzle series have had entries in the past that didn't quite deliver for me. Tetris Worlds comes to immediate mind, where things like the physics of how puzzle pieces fell into place just felt off. And the lack of certain highly desirable modes felt (sorry) puzzling. Overall the Puyo series has probably had a higher consistency over the years, but truthfully there were some overly gimmicky entries that while fun, possibly missed the point of how fantastic a pure Puyo experience can be. Just give me little blobs and let me make a house of cards that dominoes into a cascading array of tiny explosions and I'm happy. Somehow Sega has managed to take those two simple and pure games and stripped them off all their unnecessary bells and whistles and combined them into this perfect thing - complete with its own bells and whistles. When I was a kid Tetris felt ubiquitous with my Game Boy. And I want to say Puyo Puyo was the same way with my Game Gear but it would have been Columns... I didn't really discover the Puyos until years later. But still my point stands: Puyo Puyo Tetris feels ubiquitous with the Switch. Even if it is based on an arcade game that's been around for four years now and has already seen ports on other consoles, it just makes sense on this platform.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (Vita)

I probably should have looked at some reviews before getting this, but I thought the gameplay footage looked good so I thought I would get it. Unfortunately, it's just meh. It somewhat reminds me of an MMO but without any interesting lore/characters, with only "kill X number of enemies" or "gather X number of items" kind of quests, and with an action combat system that mostly boils down to mashing one button. Yeah there are other moves, but some of them are only occasionally used (when a meter fills up) or are just annoying to use.

I can see this being alright for someone who just wants a simple actiony time-waster, but that's not the sort of game I like to play. I want a game that I really like to play, and not something to do if I have 15 minutes to kill.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Lauren
Have you played Phantasy Star Online? It's better than all the games that ape its design.

And lol, noise, I like how this post jumped from Game Not Beaten to Games Beaten within a couple of hours. I like to think you had an epiphany last night.