Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Sea Of Thieves (people play this game and talk about it)

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:08 pm

noiseredux wrote:That's some serious high praise.

It may be an apples and pinecones comparison really. Shenmue and myst are all about the story, but there is something about having positive and engaging human interaction encouraged through the mechanics. Where death is meaningless and the adventure is truly one you make your own and I made the active choice to make it be insanely fun, so it is. Every crew member I have paired up with randomly has added me as a friend. I have 20 some odd people that message me daily to play... but I feel bad because I always play with randoms, because that is where the real fun is.

To bring others out of their comfort zone and play a game... actually play.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:39 am

Had a slightly frustrating time yesterday. The game at this stage is like early GTA online in that there isn't a great deal to do so people are just trolling whenever they get the chance.

Was on a sloop by myself having just finished some treasure hunts and heading to port to sell the crates. As I get in port another boat comes in and rams me. One guy boards while the other shoots into my deck. They kill me then wait for me to respawn then kill me again as I'm respawning. Then again. Then I left.

This wasn't some fun silly stuff it was just irritating and lost me a hours worth of play.

It's probably wishful thinking but I would make a few changes already to smooth things out. Firstly I'd make outposts no-fire zones or at least have some way of penalising players who lurk or linger looking to pick off noobs or lone players.

Secondly I think there should be NPC galleons that randomly spawn. They would have loot on them and be useful for target practice and breaking up longer voyages.

And finally I would add a third ship type below the sloop for people who are on their own. It'd be a one man thing with a single forward facing turrent and little cargo room. It would also be pretty much useless in storms but it would be fast and hard to hit. Maybe a dingy or catamaran type thing? The sloop is just too much to handle for one person especially in combat/storms. I get cooperation is the aim of the game but sometimes it's not viable to team up either because of connection issues or people being people and being as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm

I thought Outposts were supposed to be no-fire zones, but I haven't found anything stating that. I've not been attacked there yet so I didn't know this.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Most of the times I've been attacked has been at or around an outpost. What was annoying about yesterday is I'd already sailed past one outpost as a ship was docked and I didn't want to risk it.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

I've had similar grief issues Sload. People hanging around just to repeatedly kill me the moment I respawn. I have nothing to take, they're just killing me.

Hell, it happened to me and three friends the other day. We were attacked and soundly defeated, fine. But they didn't destroy our ship right away. Instead they stood by and kept killing us as we popped back in one at a time. Over and over again.

I mean, it's one way to play, the game gives you the option, I just don't really understand it. It's not like Sea of Thieves records your kill count.

Outside of that sort of thing we have otherwise been having a blast with the game.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Aye, like I said, because there isn't much to do people are just trolling for kicks. One guy yesterday didn't even steal my loot, he just picked it up and threw it in the ocean. Some people just want to watch the world burn. :lol:
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Ha ha, wow, that's awful, and yet I'm laughing. Sorry dude!

Can't argue with that though.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pm

So, in response to the constant griefing some are experiencing, you can scuttle your ship which sinks it and you respawn far away to keep youbfrom being constantly killed.

As for having outposts as safe zones, I really feel that this is against the spirit of the game. You should never feel safe in the game, because the whole point is to always be on guard. People talk about a lack of content, but if they added safe zones the game would suddenly be extremely boring.

If you see a ship docked at an outpost, it's time to either move on, take the offensive or do a distraction routine. I have slammed my boat into a docked ship while I jumped off long prior with Captains chest in hand to swim towards the gold hoarder and sometimes it works... rarely it doesn't.

I have also used my crew mate as bait. Have them open fire on a parked boat and draw their attention to him as I jump off and turn in, take the mermaid back to my ship, grab another chest and have him get close to shore and I leap off to turn in ad nauseum.

There are tons of tactics to succeed and this is coming from a guy who has sunk galleons solo as a sloop countless times. I do so by using unorthodox tactics and using my imagination.

As for having npc ships hunting pirates, rare has said this is also out of the question as it takes a complete reworking of their systems, but also, again, goes away from the spirit of the game. This isn't a PvE game. It may have some PvE combat in it, but that is neither focus nor purpose of its implementation.

There is a fine balance between creating content for PvE players and for PvP players. There are definite ways the game can draw pvp players away from those wishing to, "Grind it out," and one way is using the skeleton raids. Their purpose is draw in crowds to fight over the prize. If you see a skeleton cloud nearby, finish up your tasks and head to the other side of the map. Conflict always follows that raid because when all is said and done, the typically hang around.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm

For me though scuttling my ship or heading to another outpost feel like I'm being punished for having the temerity to want to sell my stuff and log off. Scuttling solves the problem of being spawn camped but it doesn't solve the problem of having my loot stolen and my time wasted. Yesterday I did sail to another outpost and was ganked there anyway. Why should I feel on guard all the time? I thought this was going to be silly coop pirate game where you can dig up treasure and play the herdy-gurdy not PUBG or Rust. The reason people are griefing is because SoT has deficiencies in its design that allow them and in fact reward them for doing it.

Look, I don't expect the game to be 100% PvE and I am more than happy to be shot to pieces out on the open sea but I also don't think it would be unreasonable for Rare to create more voyages that either foster cooperation or draw players away from each other and towards NPC related events. I get the feeling that people are deliberately targeting others not only to troll but because they are bored of the same three missions types on repeat. Moreover I don't think NPC galleons are too much of an ask from a game about pirates. Assassin's Creed IV managed it pretty well.

I have to mention GTA online again because the incessant trolling dropped off when Rockstar added more variation to missions, safezones and the ability to enter instances with friends and teammates without random players. They gave people more to do and more ways to do it so they became less focused on pointlessly killing each other for little to no return. It might not have been in the spirit of the series but it made the whole experience much more pleasant. Now obviously SoT is very early days so this could still happen but it's also not the behemoth GTA is and won't last as long if player numbers dwindle.

What I'm complaining about isn't my whole experience with the game but it isn't a great indicator for the future. You can prep and prepare all you like, you can have the sweetest sloop moves on the ocean but the way things are now, one guy with a blunderbuss can hide by the questgiver and kill you as you the second you walk through the door. That's bullshit quite frankly and needs to be addressed in some form. I've seen a lot of reasonable suggestions about how to alter things on other forums but I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) that some people are happy to just say "git gud" or "you shouldn't have..." and leave it at that.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Well, there are a lot of factors involved in identifying griefers. If you see there are no boats, but see a mermaid near the shore, that says someone is hiding there without their boat. If you are concerned about a. Person hiding and ready to kill you, set your boat to drive off to sea and jump put to take them out. If you succeed, take the mermaid back and unload. If you fail, respawn in your ship and move on to another outpost.

Or, you can also park on the other side of the island, hide your loot, take care of the campers and then come back to unload. There are choices.

Also, if you are playing solo, you are at an overt disadvantage because you lack the numbers. It is even stated in the game that this style of play isn't encouraged for anyone but the most hardcore of players. It doesn't take much to just play with a random and enjoy your time.

I exclusively olay with random people and have had nothing but stellar experiences with folks.

The game does not reward and encourage griefing. If a person camps an outpost, they are spending a good hour or so doing nothing but waiting for the possible chance of someone coming to shore. No person wants to actively do that. If you are that concerned about a ship at an outpost, move on to another. They aren't that far away, making the end of your journey last another 5-10 minutes.

EDIT: on the npc galleons... yes that is a lot to ask for. Having an npc AI party of 4 knowing how to manage sails, manage damage, deck combat and driving is a lot of work, not to mention having them persist throughout the map. How many should there be? How do they determine who to attack and who not to? There is a ton to manage there and more complex then, "Shoot bad pirates."

Return to General Gaming