Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

Re: Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated th

by SuperDerpBro Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:31 am

That is a great way to look at things. I am kinda like that unless it is damaged by me :/. I think that is what's killing me here. I don't know if me leaving the window open all the time "ruined" a few of my games. Or if they would have been that way anyways if i left them in a perfect environment. I frigged up my favorite 360 controller the other day. It was from a launch model console and it was worn just perfectly over the years. So smooth and great feeling (hard to explain). Loved the way the sticks felt. I put a Thumstax on the right analog and it ripped a huge chunk of the thumb stick material off. Which was weird becasue they fit the newer 360 (not Xbone) sticks fine (i use them on PC). Anyways, i ordered new sticks, but it will never be the same :cry: :cry:

I wish eBay saved the listings of your purchases for longer. I might have been able to go back and look at a few games. I have always been the buy-play-sell kinda gamer and have only been kinda collecting for less than 2 years. So you'd think i'd be able to look at a large chunk of what i have bought from there. But nope, all the ones over 90 days not viewable :/

I will try to apply your way of looking at it and if i fail im going disc only. :( . Fuck storing paper thingz if its gonna drive me crazy. lol
But enough talk! Have at you!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Receipts cause water damage??

by isiolia Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah Derp, you're not showing "water damage" at all. Just cheap ass inked-up paper folded up into a video game case. This shit inevitably gets wavy. This is such a weird thread.

(not necessarily targeting your reply, it's just in line with the general thought I wanted to follow up)

In interest of saying it's not a completely off-base thing to look at, I tried to take a picture of what my Uncharted 3 insert looks like compared to my Uncharted 2 one, since they have been subject to exactly the same purchase method (bought new) and storage history. Additionally, this stuff just does not photograph that well. However, in line with the other pic posted for Uncharted 3, my insert has also gotten wavy across the entire thing:

Again, might be hard to discern from a picture, but, the whole thing is like that, as though it was told it could be anything so it became a Wavy Lays potato chip.

That said, for me, it's the most extreme example I've come across in my collection, and the vast majority seem to not have anything of the sort going on. So my guess would be a combination of paper stock used for certain titles/in certain factories and overall environment.
Personally though, as I mentioned earlier, I would investigate more into ways of fixing it over stressing about it when buying games. Kinda like de-stickering Gamestop purchases or something.
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 am

That does look like what moderate to high humidity would do to cheap paper.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:07 am

I agree, though for me, humidity wouldn't tend to be an issue - seasonal, at best. It wouldn't surprise me if they went cheap on the paper for that game though, since they undoubtedly printed a ton of copies. For some areas - your sea-level, near the water type places, maybe it'd be more common to see, whereas it'd take particularly bad paper for it to become a thing in other environments. I dunno. That'd be my guess.
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:26 am

Humidity damage can actually occur over a short span. It doesn't have to be years of constant exposure. You could have a humidity spike, especially paired with a temperature spike, over a span of a couple weeks and it could set cheap paper up for that. Libraries have to wrestle with climate control all the time.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm

A quick Google search shows Victoria BC averages 70 to 85% humidity. That's worth buying a dehumidifier IMO. I think indoor most people shoot for 40 to 50%.

Even if the temp is decent here in Houston (not often) I'll have to go bump down my AC lower than the ambient temp so it pulls out the humidity. Humidity runs 90%+ most mornings here so central air, or even window units in apartments or sheds, is a must.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 pm

Wow that uncharted 3 is worse than anything i have. Hmm.

Well, i ordered 150 of these https://www.duplication.ca/CD-Poly-Case-Thin-Clear.html Selling everything that is on steam and tossing all the covers for exclusives... im done. :( (But now im gonna look at my discs and see rot! lol)

marurun wrote:Humidity damage can actually occur over a short span. It doesn't have to be years of constant exposure. You could have a humidity spike, especially paired with a temperature spike, over a span of a couple weeks and it could set cheap paper up for that. Libraries have to wrestle with climate control all the time.

This is what is strange to me. All of my books are fine. They look like normal used books (i bought most used). A couple are a little tiny bit wavy but i swear they were like that when i acquired them.
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:22 pm

Book pages are pressed together and provide structure for each other, so it takes more exposure over a longer time. Also, book paper is now mostly acid free and thus more resistant to warmth and humidity. Thin, color print booklets will be more sensitive.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Good point.

I wonder if its worth the hassle selling/shipping the cases/covers on eBay.

Kind of a shame as about 60% of my PS3 games are still sealed (sealed games are cheap for the most part right now) until i get around to playing them again (I beat them and sold them last gen). Going to be opening them to take the disc out and discard the cases/manuals/inserts. NES days all over again lol.

The ones that are sealed are mostly dead flat and a few with very minor "waves"

Almost all my 360 games i got for free so not as much of a shame hehe

EDIT: since this thread is about all sorts of things.. I tried taking a beak from Uncharted 4 to play some Arkham Origins ... an im stuck in game listening to the menu music. Just sitting here looping it over and over while chatting online lol

https://youtu.be/qj5Q00h4zXo A shame some games have such great music and only gamers ever hear it.
Last edited by SuperDerpBro on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Are you selling these games because they have some waviness in the inserts?
Return to General Gaming