Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Receipts cause water damage??

by noiseredux Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Okay, I'm still hung up on this sleeping with door open thing. Doesn't like a lot of bugs or stray animals get in your house?
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:37 pm

noiseredux wrote:Okay, I'm still hung up on this sleeping with door open thing. Doesn't like a lot of bugs or stray animals get in your house?

LOL

Bugs: There really aren't a lot of bugs where i live. I do wish i had a screen though. I am like the only apartment in the building that does not. Never cared enough to bug the landlord (I dislike talking to him) The few that do mostly hang in the curtains. I clean the windows/dust the curtains about once a month.

Strays: I have a doggo and i bet most of them can smell him so it isn't really a problem. Lots of raccoons out there and never had one come in. Unless they sneak in while im sleeping but dont make a mess! Unlikely knowing raccoons. There is the odd time a kitty comes in but i dont mind. I love kittys. Sometimes i will be gaming late at night and a little kitty head will pop in through the curtains, look at me, and bolt. lol. One time (in 12ish years) a little mouse came in but my cat took care of that quick :(
But enough talk! Have at you!
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

This topic is about so many things now.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:56 pm

Yea, you guys really hate staying on topic :P
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:Is that a money back guarantee?

Always assume free advice comes with a money back guarantee.

You seem like a guy who likes his stuff in tip top shape. I'm just trying to help you keep it that way. There is a reason data centers usually operate at 45-55% relative humidity. It is about eliminating the possibility of corrosion (and ESD from being too dry). Staying under 60% also greatly reduces the risk of mold. Getting sick from mold exposure is the worst. It takes months to recover.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm

bmoc wrote:
SuperDerpBro wrote:Is that a money back guarantee?

Always assume free advice comes with a money back guarantee.

Haha

bmoc wrote:You seem like a guy who likes his stuff in tip top shape. I'm just trying to help you keep it that way. There is a reason data centers usually operate at 45-55% relative humidity. It is about eliminating the possibility of corrosion (and ESD from being too dry). Staying under 60% also greatly reduces the risk of mold. Getting sick from mold exposure is the worst. It takes months to recover.

I am the type of guy that likes his things in tip top shape, for a while, then for each thing i gradually accept that things in use are never that way for long heh. What bugs me a great deal is when i personally damage something above normal wear and tear.

I glossed over your help in the last reply, so, thanks for the tips. I have thought about a pet door like that. But its a lot of money to solve a problem i didn't think had. And am still not sure i do! heh. I will probably grab one of those devices to see what the humidity in here actually is. I am very curious now :)
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

Re: Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated th

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm

I found some paper that has been sitting bare on a shelf for at least 3 years. A few random things piled on top but pretty open to the same environment my games are in. They are test prints for when i was gonna put my loose GameBoy games in Cassette cases. I forget what paper was used but it is pretty thick.

Humidity damage or just normal stuff that happens to paper on a shelf with lots of ink printed on it? I also found a digipack CD/Album that has probably been sitting bare for 9+ years.. and it, and its booklet, looks dead mint :roll: so i am at a loss lol

And here is an affected game that i bought new many years ago. I rarely buy new games. At first glance it looks near perfect in my hand but when i examined in detail at every angle I get this (The flash makes it look a tiny bit worse but its the only way i could get it to show up).

And here is my most annoying looking (other than Zero Dawn) PS4 game. This one looks worse in real life but i cant capture it.

One thing i notice on some (not all) "wavy games" is that if you take the insert out, the actual art is quite straight. So maybe for some it is just the way it sits in the case and/or the looseness/tightness of the particular case it resides in? ANYWAYS, If the 360 game is normal and is corroborated by more than a single person that would make me happy! heh.. Seriously it would help me. I would be lying if i said i wasn't losing sleep over it :(. If not i'm probaby going to save my sanity and buy some of these - https://www.duplication.ca/Square-CD-clamshell.html - , toss all of my cases, and store all my disc based games in labeled boxes :(
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:05 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:Humidity damage or just normal stuff that happens to paper on a shelf with lots of ink printed on it? I also found a digipack CD/Album that has probably been sitting bare for 9+ years.. and it, and its booklet, looks dead mint :roll: so i am at a loss lol

It's pretty much just conjecture, but I feel like this is less common for Japanese releases, which may indicate something to do with less luxurious plastics and paper used in production. Either way, I don't think of this as something that's common for games in my collection. I live in an area that's largely devoid of humidity through most of the year, though. So, in any event, I would be willing to bet some extraordinarily small amount of money that it has to do with a combination of materials, and atmospheric/weather conditions.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 pm

You are probably right. Most of my games are fine. The ones that aren't i thought were until i really looked :/. Do you look at every game you have that closely and at all angles specifically looking for it? I recommend not doing it! lol

BTW this is what my apartment looks like

lol
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 pm

Personally that kind of stuff doesn't bother me. I tend to think of my copies as MY copies, imperfections and all.

It's like dog ears on pages of a book or what have you. I guess shelf wear is almost endearing to me in some way.
Return to General Gaming