Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated things

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Receipts cause water damage??

Post by noiseredux »

You leave your door to the outside when you're asleep? That's amazing. I wouldn't even leave my doors unlocked when I sleep.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Did you notice where i live? lol. Like ONE whole guy got murdered this year here.. few days ago. I also have a surprise beside my bed that most Canadian criminals do not expect Canadians to have :wink:

EDIT: I live on the first floor too :)
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

SuperDerpBro wrote:1.) Is this damaged by humidity?

2.) Would this be fine in your collection?

Notice the waves on the top front left. I am coming to realize this is pretty normal for most PS3 games and some PS4. I never noticed it before.. but once i saw it.. i cant unsee it in most games.

That one does have some sort of issue going on - my copy of Uncharted 3 actually looks like that as well. Few other games I spot checked had anything close though, so I'm not sure. Humidity would be a possibility, I'd think. It's possible that certain prints used a different stock for the inserts or something.
To me, it seems like a fixable issue. Like if you could "iron" them somehow - maybe run through a laminator or something of the sort. As-is, something as extreme as that does impact the look some, for collecting purposes...but when it's minor I don't think it's a big deal.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Well, i am at a loss then. I asked elsewhere with that pic and some PS4 ones. And was made fun of for even asking. With multiple people saying things like

"that is what all covers in the world look like"

"all my games look like that"

ect..

I was even called a troll for asking because "all games look that way" or "there is no damage what so ever".. "sigh" heh

I watched many collection vids and for example - https://youtu.be/mlPP44cxOvE - the majority of his PS3 games have the top left waves while his PS2 games are flat... hard to tell about bottom waves hehe. I've seen a couple vids where it was rare that the person had even a single game that didn't have the top waves. And a few where they only show the game straight on so you cant really tell... Making everything look perfect. Much harder to tell straight on .. on video at least.

Maybe i should just do disc only! heh :'( .. I am starting to obsess over it now instead of enjoying having the games.

EDIT: My Uncharted 4
https://i.imgur.com/SOvyIy3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZRittFf.jpg
:(

EDIT2: Oh, and you can in fact iron covers. I cannot find it ATM but i've seen a video of someone doing it to games. Other than that you can view people doing it to other kinds of paper.

EDIT3: I just went through all my Blu-Rays. I only have about 25 and i bought all of them used. By just picking the cheapest one possible on eBay. All of them are near perfectly flat. Has to be something to do with the cases/paper Sony uses/used.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, that’s not water damage at all. That’s just probably the paper interacting with Sony’s print process and inks and then probably the environmental conditions of being wrapped and stored. For me that wouldn’t be a big deal. You may need to lower your standards just a hair.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

If you are leaving your door open while you are home, I guarantee you have humidity problems especially if you live on the coast. I'd be more concerned about your computer equipment. That humid salty air is not good for electronics over extended amounts of time. Maybe look at liquid cooling your GPU farm? Get a pet door insert for your sliding glass door for the cat.

Get one of these to monitor the relative humidity in your living room. You really want it to be under 60%. If you don't get under 60% with the door closed for a few days then you should look into getting a dehumidifier.
Ack

Post by Ack »

SuperDerpBro wrote:Did you notice where i live? lol. Like ONE whole guy got murdered this year here.. few days ago. I also have a surprise beside my bed that most Canadian criminals do not expect Canadians to have :wink:

Please tell me you keep a lumberjack beside your bed. Or a wolf. Or a mountie. I really want it to be a mountie.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I added your picture directly in this post for an instant look and compare. Suggest in future, upload pictures to your photo share site reduced to around 725 pixel wide. Then include as direct image in your posts to avoid the four pages of guessing discussion.

Looking at the game manual, it does not look like water damage. As mentioned above, rather just the way it is printed and inserted into the case at the factory. The slight bend probably the ink drying settling the paper or just the way it is supported inside the case. Just reading a game manual will make it bend like that. To find a manual perfectly crisp flat, you would have to avoid flipping thru the pages. If only Gamestop games on the shelf had manuals in that new condition.

marurun wrote:Yeah, water damage isn't just a little curl of the paper or angling away from flat. Paper that has been impacted by water damage or dampness is literally wrinkled/wavy and usually exhibits flaking or bubbling of color ink.

THIS. Below are water damage examples I found thru Google Images.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah Derp, you're not showing "water damage" at all. Just cheap ass inked-up paper folded up into a video game case. This shit inevitably gets wavy. This is such a weird thread.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

marurun wrote:Yeah, that’s not water damage at all. That’s just probably the paper interacting with Sony’s print process and inks and then probably the environmental conditions of being wrapped and stored. For me that wouldn’t be a big deal. You may need to lower your standards just a hair.

First off i am not talking about water damage. I am talking about humidity damage. It is different than dunking a game in standing water. That said you are probably right. On all points. My standards were fine until i noticed the waves and then i saw it every where. I was worried i damaged the games by improper storage. But it seems like even if i stored them on the space station they might still get minor waves hehe :P

bmoc wrote:If you are leaving your door open while you are home, I guarantee you have humidity problems especially if you live on the coast. I'd be more concerned about your computer equipment. That humid salty air is not good for electronics over extended amounts of time. Maybe look at liquid cooling your GPU farm? Get a pet door insert for your sliding glass door for the cat.

Get one of these to monitor the relative humidity in your living room. You really want it to be under 60%. If you don't get under 60% with the door closed for a few days then you should look into getting a dehumidifier.

Is that a money back guarantee? I have lived here for 12 years now? Every computer i have built is 100% fine. I have one that i built before i moved here (e8400) that is still running 24/7 (doing backups now) and the board looks like new. Zero corrosion. I run multiple consoles, multiple laptops, multiple monitors/TVs, 2 6x GPU rigs, the above mentioned back up PC, a 24TB unRAID/PLEX box, and my main gaming PC. Everything is fine. I Just opened my oXbox yesterday to add a SATA hdd. I have had it since before i moved here. It's been sitting even closer to the sliding door hehe. It's board looks as new after a light dusting. There is a little corrosion on the cheap metal shielding but they are in finger print patterns. When i first installed a mod chip a million years ago i must have had sweaty hands. Fun fact this will slightly corrode any shielding you touch over the years. I also just looked in my SNES mini to check the caps and it (and its cheap metal shielding) has zero corrosion. If i have a guaranteed humidity problem why is all my hardware fine and why is almost everyone telling me that what im complaining about in this thread is normal?

Ack wrote:
SuperDerpBro wrote:Did you notice where i live? lol. Like ONE whole guy got murdered this year here.. few days ago. I also have a surprise beside my bed that most Canadian criminals do not expect Canadians to have :wink:

Please tell me you keep a lumberjack beside your bed. Or a wolf. Or a mountie. I really want it to be a mountie.

Haha. I wish i had my very own state mercenary to protect me but i have to rely on myself. Close guess though. There are two things. One is an old hatchet. The other is MUCH louder. :wink:

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Yeah Derp, you're not showing "water damage" at all. Just cheap ass inked-up paper folded up into a video game case. This shit inevitably gets wavy. This is such a weird thread.

I am not talking about water damage. I am talking about humidity damage. It is different than dunking a game in standing water. "This shit inevitably gets wavy." Is exactly what i want to hear tho! Its reassuring to me that my affected games are normal! Thank you :)

CRTGAMER wrote:I added your picture directly in this post for an instant look and compare. Suggest in future, upload pictures to your photo share site reduced to around 725 pixel wide. Then include as direct image in your posts to avoid the four pages of guessing discussion.

Looking at the game manual, it does not look like water damage. As mentioned above, rather just the way it is printed and inserted into the case at the factory. The slight bend probably the ink drying settling the paper or just the way it is supported inside the case. Just reading a game manual will make it bend like that. To find a manual perfectly crisp flat, you would have to avoid flipping thru the pages. If only Gamestop games on the shelf had manuals in that new condition.

marurun wrote:Yeah, water damage isn't just a little curl of the paper or angling away from flat. Paper that has been impacted by water damage or dampness is literally wrinkled/wavy and usually exhibits flaking or bubbling of color ink.

THIS. Below are water damage examples I found thru Google Images.

I guess i just figured most people have more than one monitor these days (or were able to click links lol). I have had since about 15 years ago now. Figured most could view a pic on one and read the thread on the other. And if not what is the diff between looking/going back to the original post or the link provided? Have a single monitor/phone? Prob better to have the pic in another tab then have to refer to the post with the pic each time. Either way embedding the pic makes little difference.. Also, your smaller picture doesn't show the "problem" near as well unless you click it anyways.

You guys are probably right about the ink and they way the art sits in the cases. It makes sense.

And once more I am not talking about water damage. I am talking about humidity damage. It is different than dunking a game in standing water. :D

I hope i worded this in the least confrontational way possible hehe :)
Last edited by SuperDerpBro on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.