Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated things

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Re: Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated th

Post by SuperDerpBro »

While i like mint/pristine stuff... it is not my overall goal. Being able to play these games is the goal. Looking nice is a plus. I would buy a used game with a SLIGHTLY wavy cover if the price was right and the disc was flawless. I am generally happy so long as it does not look like gamestop trash. The reason it came up is i thought i was somehow ruining my games because i have never seen the waves before i noticed them. That pissed me off. And so i started to obsess about it because i have only been collecting for a short time and was only just starting to get a little proud of what i had. Then i notice the waves. Never looking for them before i had no idea if i was the one causing them. Then people start saying "mine are fine brah" which makes me think im ruining them for sure. After all the research it is VERY clear to me that the waves happen to everyone. If they are even in VGA graded super ANAL collector games, they are in yours too. You just aren't looking for it close enough under bright white florescent lights. I too think VGA is dumb. But people can do whatever they want and it isn't a scam. I MIGHT even consider owning ONE if it was my fave game EVER but i won't spend the few hundred it would cost to get it lol. Anyways the ONLY reason i even posted the pics was to show exactly how common it is and that i am now OK with the games in my collection that have the waves. It sucks but its common. About 35% (if you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY look its 90%) of my PS3/360 games have them (most you REALLY have to look to see) and 100% of my PS4 (which is like 5 games lol) have them. I can deal with it.

Of the PS4 games i can find lots of examples that do and don't have them on eBay/youtube.. So its a hit or miss thing. Of the PS3/360 game the majority of my games that have them also have them on eBay/youtube. Leading me to believe its probably 90% the game/paper/case/factory and maybe 10% environmental.

EDIT: And BTW.. every other place i asked or brought it up.. The majority people said something along the lines of "that is normal" or "Most/lots/ALL of my games look like that"
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Fair enough. I was mostly using this thread to make jokes about Canada, but I did finally go and take a look at my PS3 games. I live in Georgia, which is pretty humid, and yeah, my manuals have some slight bends in them. I also noticed though that because of where the clamps are that hold PS3 manuals in place, it puts pressure on the booklets that overtime seems to cause them to flare out slightly. I don't think there is much to be done about it.

Either way, at least we all have some cool games to play.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I have only really be talking about cover inserts. Most of my manuals seem fine. And by fine i mean they are all warped by the clamps lol. Even worse if there is a security thing under them too.

I also love making fun of Cuckanada. This place is fucked if it keeps going in the direction it is going. I'd love to live where you do. I am probably more American than most Americans :P
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm about an hour and a half from you Drerp. I'm working on the digester of Harmac pulp mill in Nanaimo. The humidity here is incredibly high - it rains every other day all day. Water damage is happening to things I didn't know were susceptible. Near the coast, the salinity in the air can make an aluminum engine grow a white patina over the course of a couple of months. I haven't read through this entire topic, but I suggest you order a box of silica desiccant packs from china, and get a bunch of the largest ziploc bags you can afford. Stick everything in those with a handful of desiccant. packs. I bet copper contacts would turn blue in a few months here.
I'm pressed for time, but PM me if you wanna meet in person. I think my job will be finished tomorrow.
Edit:
That was me at my most drunk and still able to type. I got some great deals at the 5 pawn shops in Nanaimo, then made it to Gamedeals.ca's HQ. No deals to be gotten, but I found out about a couple of authentic arcades on the way back that didn't exist even a few years ago. There's some really cool retro gaming events on the mainland this summer. I really hope my jobs allow me to attend...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

:P heh fun trip :D

I finally got a thermometer that does humidity.. Window has been open about 4 inches (like always) all night. According to google it is 70-3% outside. According to my new gadget it is 39-42% in here *shrugs* :roll:

EDIT: Now its 86 out and 39 in :?:
moarEDIT: 24 hours with the sliding door open 4ish inches and its 84 out and 42 in *shrugs*
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I was so drunk I don't remember posting. I had a clothes drier fail on me, and it took 4 days for my mostly-dry clothes to get wearable while still being uncomfortable. Still you had to know I was drunk-posting. I woke up very hung over, thought I might've asked to visit a member, saw no PM and told my brother to set sail for mainland. We made the fairy we wanted. We had plans to visit the local heritage computer recyclers, but they're closed mondays. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Freegeek
There's another in the same block, but my bookmarks cannot find them.
We managed to visit Gamedeals. Their prices are totally accurate, and they have a bunch of the rare games, and all of the legendary greats for exactly the price they're worth, There's the most impressive collection of a single baseball games for the sega game gear! They have at least 30 copies of the same game.. The collection has it's own bin!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

4 days? Jebus. I sometimes hang a few t-shirts up in my bedroom and they dry in less than 24 hours.

I am a bit of a recluse (I have only been outside once in the last 4 years) so that's why no PM :/
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

SuperDerpBro wrote:4 days? Jebus. I sometimes hang a few t-shirts up in my bedroom and they dry in less than 24 hours.

I am a bit of a recluse (I have only been outside once in the last 4 years) so that's why no PM :/

You have someone deliver food to you?
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Yea, my dad. Or the pizza dude. I got a TMNT kinda deal worked out. I open the door just enough to pay and they leave it in front of the door. lol
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Your collection must be immaculate! I want to see it in person so much more after hearing that nobody's been over to see it. Also, I wanna send you some full spectrum 110 volt lights and sockets. No joke, I just finished sprouting some seeds with them - they were very effective tho we've decided that it's better to buy the sedlings from the nursery due to the moisture necessary and our place's inability to handle it's moisture (Seeit's on topic! :). They can affect people's mood - I totally felt it while watering the seedlings.
If you PM me your address, I'll bubble wrap them and the ballasts and send them over. Just replacing your regular bulbs is a good idea - my sister-in-law has become a lot nicer after I had my bro replace their bulbs - tho that may be a coincidence as she's bipolar and her mood changes on a whim...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage