Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated things

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Re: Receipts cause water damage??

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Not exactly related to this thread anymore but as a test i opened one of my 3 sealed RE6 games for PS3. I picked the nicest/flattest looking one and opened it. It's "flatness" is near perfect but when you really look.. the top front left of the plastic that holds the cover is much more loose than anywhere else on the case. This is probably why a large amount of PS3 games in the newer cases get slightly wavy in this exact spot over time. Some do, some do not. I expect mine will. I have watched a ton of PS3 collection vids in the last week or so. Specifically looking for it. For some/most it is say 2 in 10 and others it is almost every single game they own. For me it is about 1 in 2 lol. I suspect most people wouldn't even notice most of mine. But once i saw it.. i cant unsee it. And i see it even in the most minor examples lol. I bought most of my PS3 games used over the last year or so and never used to look for it (you have to actually be looking or it) when the came in the mail. I have no idea if they came that way or if its because i live in a jungle hut :P heheh

On another note. The game i opened came sealed with its cover are upside down and backwards. lol. So you know that faint ring you can get on the back of the inlay? Caused by the divot ring that makes up the place that holds the disc on the inside. It is on the front cover now that i turned it around lol. Hard to see but it is there if you look as hard as i do hehe :D
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I don't want to make new thread but i was wondering what do you guys and gals think are the worst cases when it comes to inlay damage. At the moment i can't remember which system it was (i think it was DS games) but i was always fretting when buying games for it because those spines that hold the manual usually caused a ugly bumb to a inlay.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

When you are talking about waviness and such, what you showed in the picture isn't really what I was thinking... Seems as if you are really being meticulous on what you consider wavy.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, water damage isn't just a little curl of the paper or angling away from flat. Paper that has been impacted by water damage or dampness is literally wrinkled/wavy and usually exhibits flaking or bubbling of color ink.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Kuruwin wrote:I don't want to make new thread but i was wondering what do you guys and gals think are the worst cases when it comes to inlay damage. At the moment i can't remember which system it was (i think it was DS games) but i was always fretting when buying games for it because those spines that hold the manual usually caused a ugly bumb to a inlay.

I think most of them have the possibility of doing that, but I find it's usually a matter of new or used. People often wind up damaging the plastic or insert scraping off price tags from used ones. Though, the heavier paper inserts are better at preventing that.

Jmustang1968 wrote:When you are talking about waviness and such, what you showed in the picture isn't really what I was thinking... Seems as if you are really being meticulous on what you consider wavy.

Yeah, I mean, I looked at my PS3 games and barely saw anything like that either. However, I didn't notice much with plastic not fitting either - I wouldn't rule out general environmental differences.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

isiolia wrote:Yeah, I mean, I looked at my PS3 games and barely saw anything like that either. However, I didn't notice much with plastic not fitting either - I wouldn't rule out general environmental differences.

Careful saying that, he'll come back with ten edits yelling about it.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
marurun

Post by marurun »

SamuraiMegas wrote:
isiolia wrote:Yeah, I mean, I looked at my PS3 games and barely saw anything like that either. However, I didn't notice much with plastic not fitting either - I wouldn't rule out general environmental differences.

isiolia wasn't a jackass about it, so nothing to worry about. Segata set him off. You just played into it by following Segata's lead. I haven't seen SDB creating any issues lately for anyone who's been chill. That said, if SDB starts going after people who are being chill, we'll have a chat about it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

marurun wrote:
SamuraiMegas wrote:

isiolia wasn't a jackass about it, so nothing to worry about. Segata set him off. You just played into it by following Segata's lead. I haven't seen SDB creating any issues lately for anyone who's been chill. That said, if SDB starts going after people who are being chill, we'll have a chat about it.

You have this misconception I'm emotional when in reality I'm as relaxed as can be. I don't want to piss people off, I just happen to do it as text doesn't always do a good job translating tone. Those who know me know I have a playful sarcastic side and tease friends and even mock myself but my error is not always knowing when to hold back and not do it. I'm trying to see the color blue in a sea of red while being colorblind to people. I know sometimes it's difficult to be around me but it's much harder being me. It's a constant effort to improve. I'm not an asshole, I'm just not always good at relating to people and I'm sorry. I genuinely am.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Well, I hope SDB appreciates the apology. This probably isn't the right thread to use to continue on this topic, however.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

All good guys :) .. I can relate to pretty much exactly what Segata said. *hugs*

Consider this game https://i.imgur.com/gfRzSpL.jpg

1.) Is this damaged by humidity?

2.) Would this be fine in your collection?

Notice the waves on the top front left. I am coming to realize this is pretty normal for most PS3 games and some PS4. I never noticed it before.. but once i saw it.. i cant unsee it in most games. lol. Now look at the waves on the bottom. Most of my games are better than but a few look just like that. IF this is not normal i guess i need to think about the humidity of my apartment, sell all my games and start over! lol. My games are all stored in the middle of my "living" room on a shelf. There is a sliding door (that is open about 4-5 inches most of the time. Even in the winter) 10 feet to one side and a kitchen (that i cook and use hot steamy water in quite a bit lol) 10 feet to the other.

Two reasons for the door being open.. I run GPU miners and it gets HOT in here if i do not. I am up to 13 GTX 1060s now so i'm not sure what i m gonna do this summer. Never ran more than 4 in summer time. However with the profitability tanking i might just shut down shop before i have to worry about that. lol. Reason two is i have an old, borderline dementia, outdoor kitty that wants in and out so much that i just leave the dang door open when i am asleep.
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.