Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

Receipts cause water damage? And many other unrelated things

by SuperDerpBro Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:16 am

I have this one 360 game that i have never been able to figure out how it got water damaged. I bought it used but it was like new at the time and i never played it. Today it is water damaged in one spot on the front of the cover art. Top left. It is bulging out (pretty badly) and wavy in only that one spot. Yesterday i was going though all my 360 games and im not sure why but i looked under the cover. Guess what was there in the exact spot. A folded receipt. That got me thinking. My brother gave me a few games a while back and some of the manuals seem ever so slightly water damaged. Not the whole manual. Just part of it. Sure enough each and every one of them had the original receipt clipped in with the manual. I'm no scientist but i'm thinking the super duper cheap paper absorbs water out of the air much faster than higher quality glossy game art/manuals, and hold its there long enough to damage the higher quality glossy game art/manuals. :P
Last edited by SuperDerpBro on Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But enough talk! Have at you!
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: Receipts cause water damage??

by Segata Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:01 am

Do you live in the rainforest? You seem to have a lot of trouble with game cases. Maybe don't store wet paper in game cases or put your games in a dry environment.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:13 am

That upper ring of forest actually puts off more O2 than the rainforest :). Planet Earth FTW.

I just checked a few of my receipts. No waves or damage. I live in the swamp of Houston so my AC is on 10 months of the year which pulls out humidity though. Not sure how often you are running AC or de-humidifiers in CA.
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:42 am

Receipts are usually cheap paper, so they are very acidic. Also, if they are thermal receipts, as most are these days, in addition to being highly acidic the coating is also chemically reactive. Basically, don't tuck your receipts into books or manuals and leave them there. The acid will slowly burn/cook the pages and who knows what the BPA-infused thermal coating will do.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 am

That would also explain why ink fades so bad off receipts.

I also make a copy of receipts I need to keep bc they're often terribly faded in a few yrs.

*Goes to remove receipts from Saturn Shining games* :lol:
marurun

by marurun Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:17 am

If you leave those thermal receipts in a hot car they can just go black.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Segata wrote:Do you live in the rainforest? You seem to have a lot of trouble with game cases.

Thank you for your incredibly inciteful contribution to the discussion i started.

I do, in fact, have problems/'trouble' with game cases. That problem is that somewhere during last generation they started making them as cheap and shitty as they could get away with. My apartment isn't the temperature controlled clean room yours apparently is but it is far from a rain forest. If i am doing something wrong then so are 90% of gamers and 80% of the manufactures. Considering the last PS4 game i got from best buy is the WORST one i've ever seen. Pre wavy art and pre shelf worn UNDER the seal. Every game i wonder about it look up on ebay/google image/YT game collection vids and almost all copy's look just like mine. Like almost identical. Or at the very least i can find many examples that look just like mine. The last one i looked up was Tools of Destruction on PS3. My front cover art is slightly wavy. Looked it up and so is almost everyone else's copy. I guess they all live in rain forests too. I guess PS3 games (of which like 60% have slightly wavy art in the top front left even when new) where mostly manufactured in rain forests. Couldn't have anything to do with the plastic being too tight or loose and that slightly warping the cover art over 10 years.. nope not at all.

Segata wrote: Maybe don't store wet paper in game cases or put your games in a dry environment.

Did you even read my post? Who the fuck is storing wet paper in games? I also didn't put the receipt in that one games cover or even know it was there. The others games i got free and just tossed on my self as is.

Yea, here i am spritzing receipts with a water bottle, hiding them them between game cases and cover art for years, storing them in a rain forest, then wondering why one of my games is water damaged. Kindly GFY :)

Maybe dont be an ass. If you have nothing to contribute to a post move along like everyone else instead of padding your post count. :D
Last edited by SuperDerpBro on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Hahahahahhaha, your reply was 100x worse than what he said. I think the issue is 100% where you're storing your games, because I haven't had any issue with any game cases turning shitty overnight, from SNES-PS4.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:46 pm

I bet you do. you just are not sensitive to it. Or looking for it. Post a vid of all your ps3 games. I bet you will have a lot with wavy art on the top front left :P

Overnight? Where should an average human store their games then? If not on a self in their apartment that isnt temp controlled but feels just like everyone elses apartment i have never been to?

EDIT: Also, if it IS where i am storing them. Why isn't it all of them? Why are all my books (and everything else made of paper/card board) fine? And why do NEW games come this way ? Do they instantly get water damaged the very second i take them out of the seal.. since my apartment is SO incredibly damp but im somehow not dieing of mold inhalation.

EDIT2: https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=to ... n&_sacat=0

95% of the non red cased versions (and some of the red) look just like mine. Slightly wavy. Does every one selling that game live in a rain forest?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lollipop-Chains ... 1438.l2649

Should i not buy this because it was stored in a rain forest? That is what the majority of my games (the ones i am not complaining about) look like (slightly wavy). Not the one i am talking about in OP obviously.

EDIT3: Does Best Buy live in a rain forest? https://imgur.com/a/E4wYt .. open bubble mailer.. open seal.. that's what i got. It looks worse IRL. Did that happen because of where i stored it for 1/2 a second? :D .. or was the cases plastic not formed properly and warped the paper being stored inside it?

EDIT4: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Heavy-Rain-Sony ... SwW09aVyO-
Heavy Rain Forest? :D
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Wow, that was a spaz out. You just make a lot of topic about storing games is all and you seem to have all these issues I just never had and don't really hear of others have the same problems on average. I have had literally none of the issues you have. Don't know anyone or seen anyone on RF either with these issues. Just seems kinda odd is all.No need to freak out bro.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Return to General Gaming