How does stacking disc based games affect wear?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: How does stacking disc based games affect wear?

Post by CRTGAMER »

SuperDerpBro wrote:Do any of you stack games horizontally? I see a lot of people doing this and always wonder why. Space is probably the main answer i guess. Surely it will wear the games on the bottom faster, no? Not to mention how much harder it is to get to them.. causing even more wear messing around with an entire stack rather than just sliding one game out. I have also read that the discs can slightly bow over many years. I always think about this when Happy Console Gamer welcomes me to another episode hehe... No idea if it is true though. Thoughts?

EDIT: I meant stacking complete disc based games inside their retail DVD or Blu-ray cases. :mrgreen:

The bowing an interesting point when the cases are flat stacked considering just the very center of the disc is supported. The disc at the bottom of a stack not much a difference risk as long as the case is not crushed to the point of flexing the disc. The weight of the disc alone maybe flexing over the years? As long as the discs are not stored in heat such as the garage or attic, keep in climate control environment should for many many decades. LP Records in the past; this was a much bigger issue, due to heavier weight and just a cardboard sleeve. Laser discs as well though the thicker disc less prone to warp.

As others mentioned, "Bookcase" style the best way to display your disc based media. This keeps all the weight off and helps to prevent that bend warp. The bigger damage to me would be tight center holders inside the cases. That tight death grip causes the disc to bend upon removal even when pushing the middle. I always jeweler file (especially the TV series DVD clear brittle cases) so just a slight click fit of that center holder. Gamecube cases get the pliers treatment.

When watching videos such as a TV series on disc, I sometimes set the DVD case above the cardboard sleeve, having planned to watch the next episode the next day. Few trips to Bookoff ends up stacking new DVDs and Blurays on the to watch stack; sometimes forgetting that poor crushed empty cardboard sleeve underneath. Not a good move, especially when I am usually diligent placing all cardboard sleeved movies inside plastic "comic book" plastic envelopes.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: How does stacking disc based games affect wear?

Post by Anapan »

My friend's dad threw all of his retail disc boxes away and stacked his discs on one of those CD-R burning spindles to save space. The outer 1/8th of every disc was destroyed and they were all garbage.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage