Universal Game Cases

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Universal Game Cases

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Been a while since i looked into these. Are these still being made/sold? Cant be much of a market for them. But more importantly (to me) is there anyone offering a printing, and cutting (HATE doing this with scissors) service? For a reasonable price? I have a bout 6 cases i found left over from when i tried them out years ago. "I went" to 3 places in town to print some art.. NOPE! EVIL PIRACY!! :mrgreen:
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Ziggy

Re: Universal Game Cases

Post by Ziggy »

The UGC are still being made, as far as I know. I can't help you with print services for them, but there's an alternative to UGC called BitBox. You can get them from Stone Age Gamer. They're a little more expensive. They also offer prints.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Hmm. I never liked the look of the bitboxes. Maybe i will just spend a couple hundred at custom game cases. I mean buying the cases, a printer, the right paper, a guillotine paper cutter, and enough ink will probably cost just as much and never look as good. But they don't do PS1. I wanted to put all my PS1 games in DVD cases.. so id have to buy all the above anyways lol *shrugs*

Maybe i will find someone who has access to a printing store that aren't copyright Nazis heh

http://www.customgamecases.com/online-s ... -p55596562
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Prices + shipping are actually pretty good.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If you've got the cash, that's certainly the most convenient option, but buying the UGCs in bulk and getting my prints done at Staples works out about $1.80 per case - less than half that price.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Staples says NO! lol :/
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The one and only time I ever got cover art printed up for UGC (it was for the charity auction a few years back) I got it done from FedEx Kinko's.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33766&hilit=charity&start=160#p516782

Just pulled up that old post. I was charged $1.25 per print (plus tax and shipping, but there was the option to pick it up and avoid shipping charges). Granted, this was about 6 years ago, I have no idea what the pricing is now. The prints shipped from a local FedEx location, so they were delivered the day after I placed the order (they printed and shipped the same day I placed the order). Overall I was very pleased.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Weird. My Staples has never given me any grief over it. Only problem I've ever had is getting them to remember to print to the file size and not stretch to fit the page.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Weird. My Staples has never given me any grief over it. Only problem I've ever had is getting them to remember to print to the file size and not stretch to fit the page.

Stuff like that can really come down to individual employees or management, but is also the sort of reason I avoided going to Kinko's as a graphic design student. The much, much better thing to do, if you can, is find an independent print shop since they'll be a lot more likely to know what they're doing and work with you.

'course, if you have a library's worth of games to print covers for, it might be worth buying a color laser printer instead (or an LED, can get a Brother for $200 or so). Just really need to be able to handle Legal size paper for UGCs (or DVD covers, etc).
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

It's the ink that makes it possibly cost more than just buying at places like custom game cases. Keeping in mind i am in Canada and the cases are harder to get and more expensive when you do get them.

I was fine with normal (legal) matte paper printed in high quality on an average bubble jet printer when i tried it years ago.