Classic Game Room 2085

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Classic Game Room 2085

Post by marlowe221 »

Mark Bussler at Classic Game Room has decided to change up the format of his web-based video series. He's now doing 45 minute long retro game variety shows that cover a variety of topics and will be broadcast weekly.

It's primarily going out via Amazon Prime Video instead of Youtube. So if you're a Prime subscriber it's included in your subscription.

Here's the link to the first episode:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B079WPWPGL

I'm not affiliated with Mark or his company in any way. I'm just a long time fan of CGR and want to see the show do well. I know that not everyone is a fan of the light hearted style that CGR is known for, but I thought I would share the Amazon link with you guys in case anyone wanted to check it out.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Classic Game Room 2085

Post by stickem »

I like his stuff and looked on prime after the anouncement and I don't care for amazons interface. I'm confused on what i already watched and if there was anything new. I'll check it out again, I just don't care for the layout.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Eh, no thanks. He quit Youtube before to go to his website and daily motion then came back and now he is gone again and once again a site that's just not meant for that kind of content. I also like to download YT vids sometimes of ones I really like to put on my PC..old fashioned like that. He's been really weird about YouTube and patreon to the point it's so much hassle. He's lost a lot of his audience due to this kinda stuff and pushing his comic so much. It was once one of my favorite YT channels but last few years the quality has dropped and he shut down undertow and just ugh...sorry Mark I'm moving on as well. I also don't want to watch 45-minute game reviews. Anything more than 10 minutes is dragging.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yeah I agree 45 minutes reviews are way to long. Only videos I watch close to that time is "the history of" type things. The first time I heard of the cyborg thing and the drunk chicken or whatever, I thought it was some kind if joke, or satire, not something that was real lol.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Well, it's not a 45 minute review of a single game. The first episode covered a game, an overview of the Sega Genesis, a basic SCART Framemeister setup, and stuff like that.

But hey, to each their own.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I don't think Mark has the style to do a proper overview of Genesis Hardware. Game Sack is more fit for that sort of thing. I liked Mark for his enthusiastic game reviews and Game Sack for the technicals and just showing some obscure old game but not for their opinion really.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Oh yeah, Mark's style hasn't changed. The Sega Genesis overview segment was done in the same spirit as his game reviews have always been done.

I agree that other reviewers are better if the viewer is more interested in some of the technical specifications and stuff like that.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

He was pretty open about CGR Undertow not paying for itself. He was losing money on it. He also only came back to YT bc Patreon blew up right around the same time. The ad revenue alone wasn't paying his overhead and bills. He was also open about this.

So how does Prime payout? By views or flat rates to some?

Seems YouTube exposure leading to more Patreon supporters and what he gets from YT ad Rev would be the optimal set up.

Prime would have to pay fairly well to make up for less views & exposure overall.

With Mark's witty comments and interesting taste in games, he'd probably get quite a following on Twitch. Although it's not my thing, appears to be more money in that arena now.

Good luck to him. Have one of his reviews in my watch later queue now. Have been watching him as long as I've been on YouTube so 10+ years.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Hey, I like Mark and enjoy CGR. His videos aren't super in depth or technical, but he comes across as a likeable and charismatic guy. His 'jokey' style makes his reviews enjoyable to watch and he has similar tastes in games to me. I like that he's not 'super serious', unlike many Youtubers who like the sound of their own voices way too much and just end up doing annoying 'rant' videos ad nauseam about how microtransactions are ruining video games or how EA suck.

I don't blame him for shutting down CGRUndertow. To be honest, I found all the reviewers on that show super amateur and super annoying, although Derek was ok. And I don't blame him for moving to Daily Motion or back to YT with patreon and now Amazon. He's got to do whatever he needs to do to try to pay the bills and adapt to the industry changing. I'll check out his Amazon show if it's available in the UK.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Always been a fan of Mark and CGR, but only at times. Like others have said... this guy has gone through so many format changes or complete channel rehauls over the years my interest has waned. I do have Prime, but I skimmed around the episode and I don't know. I can get this and more on some other channels I already follow. Not a fan of using Prime streaming much either for stuff outside of movies/shows. I think Mark would be cooler with another right hand guy to jive with or if he was in less control honestly.