Best puzzle game of all time ( dont say Tetris)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Best puzzle game of all time ( dont say Tetris)

Post by Tanooki »

Kind of mocking the don't say Tetris bit here, but way back around 1990 I really got much into Welltris aka 3D Block Game (and other random names for it.) Has the various tetris shapes or variations of into a 3D pit that's like 8x8x8 or so. I put a lot of time into that one.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

chupon wrote:Does Portal count? Portal 2?

While not the best puzzle game of all time, no one has mentioned Lemmings or a guilty pleasure of mine, Krusty's Fun House.

Oh No! More Lemmings! :lol:

Good call Chupon. I loved lemmings. I played this game on a bunch of different platforms. I seem to recall that we played Lemmings during Together Retro a few years ago.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

chupon wrote:Does Portal count? Portal 2?

While not the best puzzle game of all time, no one has mentioned Lemmings or a guilty pleasure of mine, Krusty's Fun House.

Krusty’s Fun House is a guilty pleasure of mine too but probably a pretty bad game that doesn’t deserve to be on the list of best puzzle games. Now just from reading about it I have its awful music stuck in my head. :lol:
poisonknight

Post by poisonknight »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Affordable Space Adventures
Angry Birds
Adventures of LoLo 2
BoxBoxBoy!
A Boy & His Blob (2009)
Braid
Chi Chu Rocket
Donkey Kong (GB)
Escape Goat
Lara Croft Go
Gorogoa
Henry Hatsworth & The Puzzling Adventure
Ico
Lemmings!
The Lost Vikings
Mole Mania
Monument Valley
Myst
Picross 3D
Picross DS
Portal
Professor Layton & The Unwound Future
Pushmo
Puyo Puyo
Puzzle Bobble
Puzzle League
Puzzle Quest
Quell Memento
The Room Two
Shadow of the Colossus
Spell Tower
Teslagrad
Toki Tori 3D
Tokyo Crash Mobs
Warlock’s Tower (This one broke me. Highly recommended.)
World of Goo
Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barbaro’s Treasure

Puzzle games are my jam. I’m sure I’ll think of more, and there are still a lot of great ones I still need to play.

Well this list is really helpful to me as I'm also a puzzle lover but I don't play that much as I don't really have time for games but I will definitely refer to this list in the future if I'm looking for a puzzle game to dive in ! Anyway, thank you really much !
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Erik_Twice wrote:As far as action puzzlers go, I can subscribe Puzzle Bubble. Don't dimiss it, it's much better than it looks like and the original is far better than the mobile clones you see so around.

I've always had a fondness for this game, as its my wife's favorite arcade game, so I end up playing it often.

Recently, however, she wanted me to look into how scoring in the game works... and wow, this opened the game up so much, to the extent that it almost feels like playing a different game.

Basically, you get more points for dropping bubbles than for popping them (So, popping bubbles in order to drop ones attached). This is multiplicative, up to 17 bubbles, the first being worth 20, and the last being worth like 700,000. (The total 17 bubbles are worth 1.3m, each bubble being worth twice the amount of the last, basically)

Playing this game in attempt to not only survive, but find suitable places to link mismatched pairs and drop the full 17 bubbles is insanely fun. The stages are static, but the bubbles you receive are random, so even the best players take pause to figure out how to best approach and score even the early stages. Seriously blew me away, and I like this game so much now.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Oooh, I didn't know that about the scoring. I knew dropping bubbles gave you far more points but I didn't know about the 17 bubbles thing! That's great!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ack

Post by Ack »

I also was unaware of how the scoring mechanic grew like that. Does this hold true for ports and alternative versions? I'm thinking Puzzle Bobble Mini for NGPC.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Good question! I'd assume it holds true for ports, but as far as sequels and alternate versions (I think Mini is mostly based on 2?), I'm not sure.

Pretty hard to find info on, too, so it would probably just have to be tested on each version.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

poisonknight wrote:Well this list is really helpful to me as I'm also a puzzle lover but I don't play that much as I don't really have time for games but I will definitely refer to this list in the future if I'm looking for a puzzle game to dive in ! Anyway, thank you really much !

Thanks! (I just saw this. Also, great avatar.)

The list still holds up, IMO, and the only game I would add is to it is Rusty Lake Hotel (iOS). If you have limited time -and if you enjoy surreal gaming experiences - all of the Rusty Lake games are a great choice. Many of their Cube Escape games can be beaten in less than an hour!
AnneBinette

Post by AnneBinette »

Yes but I love Tetris :) , I think it is one of my best time pass game. I prefer to play puzzle games over other hardcore PC games. I have scored too many points in it and the best part is I got professional and now play high levels only. I am playing it from long time and it is all time favorite game. Apart from tetris my other favorite puzzle games are:
Portal, braid and limbo.