Best puzzle game of all time ( dont say Tetris)

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bigpunisha

Re: Best puzzle game of all time ( dont say Tetris)

Post by bigpunisha »

The best puzzle game I've played, which is addicting, is interlocked. It's a 3d puzzle game for android(may be for Apple too, I dunno). It's a must play.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have to say, I'm both gratified and horrified by what modern touch screen mobile devices have done to the puzzle genre. For the longest time puzzlers were designed around having a joystick or pad and buttons, and for THE classic, Tetris, that makes a lot of sense, and for others like Puyo Puyo and Columns. But touch-screens gave rise to the Match-3 genre, which was begun by Shariki in 1984 (what is it with Russian programmers and puzzle games?) and made popular by Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack over 11 years later. Popcap's Bejeweled was what truly cemented the genre, however. Their implementation was slick, easy to interact with, and had several different modes of play that made it either a massive challenge or an endless relaxing breeze. It's fair to say that Popcap themselves have iterated extensively and creatively on the model, but because the Match-3 play style adapted to mouse and touch screen controls so well, even more naturally than keyboard or joystick/pad, it became what is now probably the second most famous and most commonly adapted (and absconded with) of puzzle game modes. Hell, my current phone game of choice, that I've been playing daily for literally years now, is a Match-3 variant. It's freemium and I haven't even spent a cent on it, no less!

So I guess if we're discarding Tetris, which really is definitively the best puzzle game of all time, Bejewled, or one of it's many offspring, would have to be the runner-up.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
emilyidk

Post by emilyidk »

You guys can try tower of saviors. It's a game on the play store and app store!!!! It's super duper fun!
Jake Armitage
16-bit

Post by Jake Armitage »

I have always been fond of Sokoban (also spelled Soukoban) games where you are a warehouse worker shoving crates of widgets (or whatever - it is never stated what is in them) in order to fill up decidedly odd shaped rooms.

Some of the ones that got released in the US are:

Shove It! (Genesis)
Boxy Boy (TG 16)
Boxxle 1 (Gameboy)
Boxxle 2 (Gameboy)

Really simple gameplay that can be surprisingly complex.

Also the imports (of which there are many) are readily playable since the mechanics are so simple.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
kingdomslayer

Post by kingdomslayer »

You might wanna try portal and portal 2? I know its not a typical puzzle game thou but it's fun!
Soldier Blue
128-bit

Post by Soldier Blue »

Columns
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

"It is the nineties, and there is time for Klax"
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
waipowrectdeapr1976

Post by waipowrectdeapr1976 »

kingdomslayer wrote:You might wanna try portal and portal 2? I know its not a typical puzzle game thou but it's fun!

You are right, never really thought of it as that but it is a puzzle game. Especially the first one.
Strade

Post by Strade »

Antichamber and FEZ were two of my best played puzzle games last 5-7 years i could remember. Well if they fall into that category, which i think they are puzzle games.
2D or 3D, the name works both ways. :roll:
Other than that, i feel like even the shooter can become a puzzler... it's atricky thought. I won't go deeper than that.
Alex175

Post by Alex175 »

Braid is one of those gems that no platform lover should miss. Innovative, fascinating and hilarious it is one of the brightest titles that can be found since 2009 for PC. :wink: