Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ESauced
64-bit

Re: Culling collection

by ESauced Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I think my wife brought up the KonMari method a year or so ago! And I think I pretty much nodded and smiled so funny that I’m coming back to it now. I’ll read up on that. Thanks!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm

yeah it was introduced to me by my wife as a way to do some spring cleaning of our house. But as I started reading through the concept I realized how much it applied to my own hoard- ahem, collecting of games (and CD's, movies, comics, etc). Again, not to say that I've shaken all of this but it does at least kind of stay with me as something I think about and examine once in a while. I guess in some way I've given myself permission to collect stuff as long as it's making me happy, and permission to get rid of that stuff when it's stopped making me happy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I think one thing you need to take into account with the KonMari method is you need to view collections as individual pieces and not a whole. Something I think many collectors need to get over is that their collection is not a single piece, and removing something from it will not damage the whole. That is why I suggested selling something of value. If you can remove a keystone from your collection and get over it, it makes it easier to dispose of other less valuable parts.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I’ve decided to sell the following systems, pending one last check of my game collection to make sure there isn’t some exclusive on the PSP, PS2 or Xbox that I’m going to be missing. The rest I’m confident I know what I have and any games on them that I love I have other means of playing.

PSP
PS2
Xbox
Super Nintendo
Spare 32X
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Master System
Atari 7800
Sega cd
Game Gear

I’m still weighing whether or not I’ll sell my 32x, my 3ds or my DS lite. Next I will be going through my games on each system to decide what stays and what goes. I think I’ll have a tougher time with that given it’s just more to deal with. I’m positive I’ve got stuff on the NES, Genesis and N64 that’ll go, and of course the entire PS2 collection, and any non-backward compatible Xbox games will be going.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:28 am

I'm a little late to the discussion; but I've had the same dilemma as you, Esauced. Last year, I also jumped into a more minimal point of view. At this point, I view it moreso as essentialism; what I do really enjoy I hang onto. What I've stopped getting enjoyment out of I consider getting rid of. Like Noise said, it has helped me cut down on spending, clear my mental head space about what it is I actually want to play, and not think about gaming as a hobby with collecting also in mind. That's not a slight to collecting at all, especially if you get enjoyment out of it. For me, I really was bothered by what I had and wasn't playing, and there's people out there that would benefit by playing what was just sitting on my shelves.

I do still have one nice curated collection: My Dreamcast. I really enjoy it. I play games on it all the time. I have around 25 games for my Gamecube, another favorite. And I still have small smatterings of games for my Nintendo and Sega Consoles I grew up with. I decided to get rid of my old Sony consoles and handhelds, with the exception of Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 and Metal Gear Solid & VR Missions, because I still fire those up and play one of them from time to time. I'll probably pare down with more in the future when I start to feel differently about those too; most likely some of my optical-drive systems like the Xbox consoles I have.

Really feel out what you think is best for you. Emulation is a good thing; digital games are a good thing for a form-factor solution. I think sort it out for yourself. Try the KonMari method and see if that helps out at all. Minimalism is somewhat of a popular fad at the moment and carries its own connotations (some good, some bad) but you might be pleased giving it a glance.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:23 pm

I did this a few years ago. I had a bit over a thousand games at one point, and now I have in the 500s, and when I get around to it, I will probably sell off another hundred and another console or two. In the past year, I think I've played only two dozen of them. There is so much more to life than holding onto FFXII hoping to maybe one day play it after you retire.

Plus, I've found that with fewer and fewer games, the more I want to play what I have *more*. I spend more time with what remains than I did before. Less is definitely more.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 pm

If this had a checkmark like button like atariage has that last post would get it. I've done the same. I'm at a rate now where the drop off is less because what would get cut now would bother me too much for most of it. Down long ago from a couple thousand now down to around 300-400 physical releases. I'd be closer to 300 but I picked up a pc engine based console and you know how that goes.

Not long ago it would have bothered me a lot saying this but I really have to sit and think about the last time, definitely two times I would have bought a NES, SNES or N64 game as it happens very rarely and I'm fine with that.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:44 am

I ended up buying a copy of Life Changing Magic, so thanks for mentioning it noise.

I'm not too concerned about my games, but the rest of our house is filled with various collections of crap and clutter, and my wife is rather clingy about things (I'm not much better honestly). We want to fix it, and I'm hoping the book will help.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 am

Glad to help. I don't necessarily think it's a realistic code to live by, but it does make you think which is good.
Kuruwin
32-bit

by Kuruwin Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am

I do think about cutting down my collection at times but not drastically. Handheld games tend to be off the limit because i really enjoy getting those and i'm not too keen on selling pre 7th gen stuff but there's plenty of more modern stuff i would like to get rid off. I wasn't really fond of 7th consoles and i doubt i ever will look at them fondly and i don't really care to own most of the games do i have for those consoles but what usually prevents me selling them is the fact that you don't really get jack shit for them (i'm not going to sell them for couple of euros each)

But with the current gen stuff i think i should be more active getting rid of the ones that don't have merit for me. There's really no reason me to own bland games like Mafia 3 and i should just sell them now when i still can't get decent amount of money from them.

But even if i don't at least the brightside is that i don't buy as many games i did before so i tend to have less of these zero attachment games.
Return to General Gaming