2018 - the year in gaming anticipation

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

2018 - the year in gaming anticipation

Post by noiseredux »

this is a thread where we post about upcoming games that are releasing soon and we're excited about. Solid release dates help. Pictures and news of progress and so on are fun.

I'll start.

JAN:

Having never played a game in the series before, I'm finding myself interested in Monster Hunter World. Though from what I gather, these games probably benefit from co-op, yeah? What are the odds that anyone else would be picking it up on Xbox One?

That said, my bigger excitement for January is Railway Empire. I'm totally serious. This looks like exactly the kind of sandbox relaxation game that I totally adore - along the lines of Cities Skylines or Planet Coaster. I'll be grabbing this one right away.

FEB:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Metal Gear Survive. Don't get me wrong, it might totally suck. Maybe it'll be this year's Umbrella Corps. But I'm still keeping my eye on it. It could be interesting. Maybe.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: 2018 - the year in gaming anticipation

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Yeah, Monster Hunter is neigh unplayable solo in my opinion (but I also just don't like the series that much in general, so I'm biased).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I'd consider getting Monster Hunter on XB1 if others did.

Probably my most anticipated game right now is The Last of Us Part II:
No release date as of yet.

Most anticipated that is coming the soonest is God of War, continuing the confusing trend lately of being called the same thing as the original game despite being like the 4th or 5th game in the series. God of War but with Norse mythology? Looks like a blast.

Also looking forward to:
Anthem - Looks like Destiny, with Mass Effect or Star Wars elements.
Vampyr - New one from Dontnod, which did Life is Strange, which I loved.
New Tomb Raider - Love this series. I cannot wait for a new entry.
Sea of Thieves - Been having fun with multiplayer games lately, so this could be another one to add to the pile.
Darksiders 3 - Loved the first game, thought the second was ok, but didn't do enough to further the storyline, hopeful for the third entry.
Detroit - I usually end up liking the David Cage games to some degree or another and it's one of the few devs I can say I've beaten every one of their games. :D
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'd be more interested in Anthem if it was first person.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

"Far Cry 5 - I'm not a fan of the previous titles and i don't really like any of the Ubi's games but i really dig the rural America setting and it has airplanes in it so for those reasons i will play it.

Ace Wombat 7 - Another confession. I do love aerial combat but i'm not really fan of the PS2 ace combat games gameplay. The reason why i'm really looking forward to this is that i'm hoping that it's going to have good emotional story. Story is what really standed out in four and i really wasn't expecting it when i booted the game.

Ni No Kuni 2 - I can't say that if they fix all the problems of the first game then this is going to be great because this seems to be drastically different but it it has solid gameplay and the same charm of the original then this is going to be treat.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 - The first game was shitty "diablo clone" but this as yet another title that was saved by the story and the characters.

Kingdom Come Deliverance - I don't really know much about it but it could really cool. There's definitely more room for FP RPG's. "

Untitled Goose game also look's fun. It's a game where you play as a goose and fuck around with person/people.

https://youtu.be/eT-vvzCxQWM
marurun

Post by marurun »

I really want to play a game called Ace Wombat. Is it a sequel to Willy Wombat?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

marurun wrote:I really want to play a game called Ace Wombat. Is it a sequel to Willy Wombat?

I tried to come up with something funny to say to this but i didn't come up with anything satisfactory. I suck.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Kuruwin wrote:
marurun wrote:I really want to play a game called Ace Wombat. Is it a sequel to Willy Wombat?

I tried to come up with something funny to say to this but i didn't come up with anything satisfactory. I suck.

I don't know whether it's funny or not, but I keep on thinking Ace Wombat is a grim & gritty spin-off of Star Fox. But while Fox McCloud and the gang are having happy slappy adventures doing barrel rolls, Ace Wombat is getting drunk and banging hookers. Still, no one can pilot an Arwing like Ace Wombat. No one. He's basically the Lemmy/Lobo of the Star Fox universe. The more we talk about it, the more clearly this character is becoming a legitimate part of my Star Fox head canon. :mrgreen:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hey so what is this Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullets game? Like... what kind of game is it even? I feel like I've HEARD the name "Sword Art Online" over the years, but no idea what the games even are.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:hey so what is this Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullets game? Like... what kind of game is it even? I feel like I've HEARD the name "Sword Art Online" over the years, but no idea what the games even are.

Not surprising that you've heard of the IP - it's got similarities to the .hack franchise if you remember that. The first season of the anime was very popular when it came out in 2012. More or less, centers around goings-on in VRMMORPGs - the first arc has all players being stuck in one called Sword Art Online - can't log out, die in the game and you die for real, etc. A later arc is set in Gun Gale Online/, which is what the upcoming third season of the anime will be based on, and the Fatal Bullets game.

So, basically a gun based ARPG. Looks to have some multiplayer components as well though.

That said, it's a very prolific IP. This is like the 9th or 10th game based on it, nevermind the light novels, manga, anime/OVAs, movies...so, again, kinda like .hack :lol: