Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by laurenhiya21 Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 am

Still catching up on reviews!

4/30: Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd (PSP)
It’s been over a year since I played a Hatsune Miku game, so I thought it was about time to play another. I really enjoyed playing the other Hatsune Miku games so far, and this one is no different. This particular one is basically the game as the first Project Diva game (just press or hold the different buttons in time to the music), except it doesn’t just have Miku songs and includes songs from MEIKO, KAITO, Rin/Len, and Luka. It’s still mostly Miku songs, but I appreciated having some variety. The only complaint I have about the game is that switching characters or outfits takes a surprisingly long about of time. This was especially annoying since the game doesn’t have the option automatically switch characters for their songs, so unless you don’t mind having a character sing with another character’s voice, then you have to manually switch the characters every time you switch to another character’s song. It’s probably because of a limitation of the PSP, but it was still a little annoying.

I don’t have much else to add, but one thing that was interesting was I was actually able to clear all of the songs on Normal instead of just on Easy! I’m not sure if this particular game is easier than the others or if I’ve gotten better, but it was nice to not have to stick solely to Easy this time haha.

Anyway, this is a pretty good rhythm game if you’re into Hatsune Miku songs. There are many others that are probably better to start with, as there are many newer ones that are in English, but this game is still a good game to play. It’s not too difficult to get through the menus either, but I do recommend that you know はい (yes), いいえ (no), and セーブ (save). You can probably stumble through the rest without too much difficulty even if you don't know much/any Japanese.

5/12: Monument Valley (Android)
I don’t really play mobile games that often as I would almost always would rather play on a handheld instead if I was out and about, but Monument Valley was temporarily free and I heard it was good so I gave it a shot. I don’t tend to like puzzle games that much, and while I can’t really say that I loved Monument Valley or anything, I still thought that it was interesting. The levels were never too long and there were a lot of little mechanics that were added throughout the game which I thought made it stay fresh. The biggest plus to the game (at least for me) is that the game looks really pretty. Most of these levels wouldn’t look out of place framed on a wall.

If you don’t mind playing games on you phone, this might be a good one for you to check out. Even if you can’t get it for free like I did, it’s probably not too expensive.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 am

Project Diva 2nd was my gateway into vocaloid and Miku way back, I thought the game was a ton of fun, and had some lovely songs (I think that is where I first heard DYE?)

Jump to 2018, and I am dragging my wife and best friend to see Miku and friends in concert. Its a slippery slope! :lol:
Flake

by Flake Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:59 am

January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

More progress on my mission to beat ElkinFencer for at least one month out of 2018!

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - I'll be honest, I still don't get what the big deal is in a word were Street Fighter Alpha 3 is a thing. It's definitely a step above the original Street Fighter Alpha and I really, really like the introduction of Sakura. I don't like how weak super moves are or how hard it is to pull off alpha counters (for anyone except the CPU). I just don't see what makes it stand out, though.

Also - why is there no Alpha 2 Gold content? It was included in the old SFA Anthology release on PS2. Weird.

Caladrius Blaze - I bought this during a sale on PSN when it was dirt cheap. Never really got into it. Last night I finally sank an hour into it and I've got some real appreciation for it. The multiple, evolving methods of attacking make this less than of a bullet hell and more of a shmup that focuses on zone control. The mechanic of the pilots outfits getting shredded is cheesy as all get out but it...I dunno, works. I'll come back to this again for sure.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 am

Unfortunately, for better or for worse, Capcom only ported over the original arcade releases. So all those cool modes from the PSX version of Alpha 3? Tough luck.

I guess "arcade-perfect" is nice, but yeah, I would have loved maybe some of the home versions being included, too.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Flake

by Flake Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Sarge wrote:Unfortunately, for better or for worse, Capcom only ported over the original arcade releases. So all those cool modes from the PSX version of Alpha 3? Tough luck.

I guess "arcade-perfect" is nice, but yeah, I would have loved maybe some of the home versions being included, too.

Fortunately I have the PSX and PSP versions of Alpha 3 so no big. Just a weird oversight.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 am

54. The Simpsons (ARC)
55. Detana!! Twinbee (ARC)
56. Crossed Swords (ARC)
57. Xexex (ARC) (click for the full reviews)

Konami goes Irem in this shooter with pod and charge shot mechanics which are basically crucial to survival. I liked Xexex, but it kind of piles up on certain quirks that I consider outdated at this point in shoot 'em up history. No auto-fire, respawning with all upgrades lost makes it hard to recover after a few levels, no back attack, and there's no manual ship speed adjustment. At the same time you are given a lifebar, som health drops here and there and lowering the difficulty does have a noticeable effect. The variety and visual spectacle of the game also deserve a mention.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am

Nice job, I quite dig Xexex myself. I don't think its design choices were outdated when it was released in '91, but I can understand not being a fan of some of its choices now. Konami was pretty big on the "Die once, may as well restart" style of shmups, and Xexex is even pretty mild on this compared to some of their other games, but it can still feel bad to just wash out your health/lives once you get hit once.

I also hate firing backwards in shmups :lol:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

Xexex is a great time, but also a frustrating one. I remember playing it a TON on the PSP for a STG competition some years ago. I couldn't get past the boss on Stage 3 when trying for a 1CC run, if I remember correctly. It struck me as quite unfair :lol:
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:20 pm

dunpeal2064 wrote:Nice job, I quite dig Xexex myself. I don't think its design choices were outdated when it was released in '91, but I can understand not being a fan of some of its choices now. Konami was pretty big on the "Die once, may as well restart" style of shmups, and Xexex is even pretty mild on this compared to some of their other games, but it can still feel bad to just wash out your health/lives once you get hit once.

I also hate firing backwards in shmups :lol:

Being an arcade game and not super harsh with this you can just credit feed and still have fun (except maybe for parts of level 5 with all the penis ships all over the screen), or lower the difficulty until you can manage recovery later on. But there were shooters from 1986 or so onwards that moved away from these mechanics in one or more ways such as Zanac and Aleste 1, Undead Line, Thunder Force 2-3 and Space Manbow. I strongly prefer that approach. Maybe Xexex is different in 2-player as well though, idk.

Firing backwards looks silly but when you have attacks from behind and situations like in level 3 with enemies carrying power ups being very hard to hit without a back attack I prefer to have one.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm

Fair point, I admittedly wasn't taking non-arcade shooters into account when comparing Xexex to its contemporaries. It is a toughie though, thats for sure.

I also played Xexex during a shmup tourney thing, and I don't think I fared much better than Stage 3 or 4. Horis usually wreck me.
Return to General Gaming