Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:

Previously: 2016 2017

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)

3. SUPERHOT (PC)

SUPERHOT is a fairly short FPS (It took me like 90 minutes) where the main gimmick is that the enemies only move when you do (mostly. Time moves VERY slowly when you aren't moving, but it never actually completely stops). This all comes together to make an experience that's somewhere between a strategy game and an FPS, where you're constantly punching enemies, weaving around bullets, grabbing guns out of mid-air, hurling objects or shooting bullets out of the air with your own bullets. It's a really hectic environment that looks really cool when the replay plays it back at full speed.

The only real qualms I have with SUPERHOT are the things that are not those aciton bits. There's a story, but all it really succeeds in doing is killing the hectic mania of the shooting sections which are actually really good. You have those broken up with a (quite nicely stylized) DOS-esque interface that your player character accesses the game within a game that is SUPERHOT, as well as these really boring corridor segments. Given that the actual game is so incredibly short, these really felt to me like just padding out the game in an effort to justify the very steep $25 price tag. Unless you're SUPER into the endless mode and speedrun stuff you unlock once you beat the game, there is very little chance that price tag will justify the very short story mode.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. If you can get this in a Humble Bundle, or on sale for like $5, then I'd say it's worth a try. It has a fun, Hotline Miami feel to how crazy things can get, but the constant bullet-time makes it much more manageable. It's a fun game, but I absolutely do not understand that price tag.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Superhot must be experienced in VR, it's my favorite VR game so far. I imagine the vanilla base game isn't half as awesome.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Xeogred wrote:Superhot must be experienced in VR, it's my favorite VR game so far. I imagine the vanilla base game isn't half as awesome.

Superhot VR, to what I know, is an entirely separate game. It's all custom-made levels for VR, and I've heard from more than one person that it's one of the best VR games out there!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 pm

1/2: Heart’s Medicine - Time to Heal (Steam)
1/5: Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours (PS4)
1/5: Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PS4)

Total: 3 games

Beat a few games recently. They're all fairly short and not very complicated (also two of them are not the types of games that I play often ha), so very short reviews this time.

Heart’s Medicine - Time to Heal

Heart’s Medicine - Time to Heal is the second game in the Heart’s Medicine series of time-management games. It's very similar to the first game (basic time-management style game with mini-games and an actual story) but this one has new wards for the main character to work in, new mini-games, upgraded visuals, and a much longer, more fleshed-out plotline. It's pretty much “more of the same but different”. Nothing really stood out as amazingly better than the original, but that’s fine for me since I liked the first game.

Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours
I don’t play SHMUPs that often, so I can’t really say if this is a good one or not, but I had fun with it. Its easiest mode is easier than some other SHMUPs I’ve played, so that was nice for me haha. It also seems to have a lot of content, which will be nice if I decide to go back to it at some point (especially since I only played the Arcade portion).

Unfortunately, I have no idea what else to talk about since I’m so unfamiliar with SHMUPs… :|

Skullgirls 2nd Encore
Like SHMUPs, fighting games are another genre I have very limited experience with. Often times I find fighting games to be especially hard for me to play, but Skullgirls was a pleasant exception. The biggest plus for me is that Skullgirls doesn’t require memorizing a billion-different button presses to pull off the moves. There are probably some moves that require a number of memorization, but from I could tell there wasn’t anything that was crazy complicated. I can’t really say how else the fighting compares to other games though, since I have hardly any others to compare to. However, there seems to be a lot of different difficulty options and a lot of different characters that you can play in story mode, so there seems to be a lot of content here.

I guess another thing is that the game looks really good! There’s a ton of different attack animations and it all looks super smooth. The story mode also had some good artwork here and there. Other than that, I’m just surprised how much I liked this one. I will definitely be returning back to this to play though the other story modes.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Darius Burst CS is a pretty good game. The only issue I truly have is the Freedom song. Oh, boy that it painful to listen to lol. The extra stages are great as it has some Darius Gaiden and G Darius OSTs and it's awesome. 3000 stages O_O. You picked a good shmup to play. Not the crowning jewel but still good. Try some cave shooters next. You can't really go wrong with anything they put out on 360 and pretty affordable for most of them.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
pook99
32-bit

by pook99 Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
pook99 wrote:I challenge the entire racketboy community to find a worse 16 bit beat em up.

Challenge accepted!

Bebe’s Kids

I am really happy to see so many new members posting reviews in here! Welcome to the forums, and thank you for joining the conversation. You are posting a lot of great stuff, and I hope you’ll stick around a bit.

I laughed out loud when I clicked the spoiler, I never actually played bebes kids but it looks absolutely horrific, I think I will give Bebe's kids a shot to see if it is as bad as people say and if it can match the turdfest that was iron commando

Sarge wrote:1) Legendary Axe II (TG16) (6.0) (1/1) (2.5 hours)
2) The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES) (7.5) (1/3) (1.5 hours)
3) Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES) (6.5) (1/3) (2.5 hours)
4) The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) (7.0) (1/4) (2.5 hours)
5) The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minney (7.5) (1/6) (1.5 hours)
6) Phantom 2040 (SNES) (7.0) (1/9) (9 hours?)
7) Batman: Return of the Joker (NES) (8.0) (1/10) (0.5 hours)

I did another run through Batman: Return of the Joker.

This game can be tough, but it's also alleviated significantly through very short stage segments and unlimited continues. You can even grab a password for each stage.

That being said, there were some problem spots that I ran into; I tend to forget some things between runs. The blimp stage is easiest if you just crowd the right edge, so that's actually not the worst of it. The sewer stage has some troll enemies that will knock you into the drink. The ice stage has those tornado enemies that will usually catch you unawares, not to mention those missiles that drop with virtually no warning. That cave level has a moving platform with an enemy that will toss a knife and send you plunging to your doom if you don't know it's coming. And the elevator stage in the last area leading up to Joker can take a few tries. I probably continued five times through my run. Much of that was rushing and pure carelessness on my part; familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Graphically and aurally, the game is an absolute tour de force. It sports massive, almost 16-bit style sprites, some great spritework overall, and some kickin' Sunsoft tunes. Gotta love that bass! While I don't feel the game is quite as good as the first NES Batman, it's less of an investment to burn through it, given the leniency with continues and checkpoints and whatnot. I still very much recommend it, even if it's just to see what peak Sunsoft could still do. Seeing them lose their way in the 16-bit era was one of the more depressing things to behold.

I just played batman return of the joker for the first time last year, I was always under the impression that the game was terrible(not sure where I got that impression TBH) but the game really blew me away. Incredible graphics and really fun gameplay, I thought the challenge was just right, and really enjoyed the way boss battles were handled. I feel like this game is a hidden gem that never seems to find its way onto the thousands of hidden gem videos on youtube.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 am

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)

* = replay

ImageImageImage

Heard a lot about Ninja Warriors last year because of the soundtrack on various VGM podcasts. Amazing Taito at work here. dunpeal2064 reminded me in another thread I wanted to hit this one up and I'm glad I did, mostly (we will get to that in a second). I'm always kind of skeptical of beat em' ups that don't have Z-axis movement, I guess it's Z-axis? You only move left or right in this despite a lot of games in the genre allowing you to move up and down too. So that's different, but once I got used to it I didn't mind. I liked the Kunoichi the most for her speed and agility. It was easy to figure out a few tricks, like using the special attack to get some i-frames and dodge a hit, or get the robots in a corner to continually throw them as they can do nothing, and she could duck and tear a lot of enemies up. It got trickier as the game went though with the mix of tougher enemies. The jumping claw guys (straight out of Streets of Rage) were the most annoying, or the fire breathers that always had a little spacing on you. Lots of dangerous combinations later on.

But that final boss... FUCK THAT. What a pile of shit. Most frustrating gaming rage of 2018 so far for me. I was having a blast with this game, but this final boss was so damn stupidly annoying and gimmicky I don't know if I want to touch this game again! Sheesh! You have to somehow throw enemies at him in the background sitting behind some glass shield, when there's an assortment of three enemies on the screen constantly ganging up on you along with these laser beams that keep shooting down along the arena. Resorted to save states to get this over with so I could sleep tonight. Always heard the game was hard, but I thought it was totally fair and doable until this part. I still highly recommend checking this out if you like the genre or the looks of it, but be warned for that final boss.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 am

I wish I had found and bought a copy of Ninja Warriors, it's such a cool game overall. Younger me was all about those RPGs; I ignored a lot of the "lower tier" stuff that was easy to blow through. Now, I appreciate it a lot more. Funny how tastes change like that sometimes.

(Not that I don't enjoy long, epic RPGs, but I pace myself now!)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 am

Beat the game earlier myself. Won't say much as it's said above. What a great game. Also, don't pick anyone but the female Ninja. I didn't have to save states to rely on as I played it on my SNES. Claw guys are much easier to kill when you crouch.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Xeogred wrote:9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)

Great review Xeogred! This is a game that's been in my backlog forever. Your thoughts here are a great reminder that I need to fix that.

The List So Far:
1. To the Moon [PC/Steam]
2. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 [SNES]
3. The Goonies [Famicom] [Together Retro - 01/2018]

4. Disney's Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist [GBA] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
Image Image

Kim Possible was fun little TV series; a 'girl-power' action-comedy cartoon romp that I suspect was Disney's answer to The Powerpuff Girls. While Kim Possible was niether as groundbreaking nor as 'edgy' as the Powerpuff Girls, it was a jovial Disney spin on James Bond style super-spy hijinks(okay, James Bond Jr.), and the tween/teen comedy of something like Clueless (okay, Saved By The Bell). Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist is the first Kim Possible action platformer appearing on Gameboy Advance, a series that would continue on in two subsequent GBA tiles (as well as a couple of DS titles and a PS2 entry). All told it's a bit middling and vanilla, but it's fine for what it is. The shows bright palette and distinctive look makes a good conversion to handheld graphics, and while there's not a lot here to blow you away, it looks nice enough. Each level is introduced through its own title card which is a clever concession to the episodic nature of the show. After each boss fight you'll see a short fully animated segment which I assume to have been converted directly from the show itself. The A/V down sampling to GBA format makes these segments look/sound about as good as one might expect (i.e. not so hot). The music is bouncy and energetic as one might expect, though not memorable. I basically just finished playing and I can't call any specific tune to mind.

Image Image

The game play is a mixed bag. It's a combination of simple platforming segments and 2D side scrolling beat 'em up. The combat reminds me a bit of The Adventures of Batman and Robin on the SNES. You have a canned 'combo' executed by simply mashing the attack button, and you have a requisite jump kick attack. Further solidifying this comparison is that you'll utilize a variety of gadgets attained through pickups which will assist your progress through levels (and which are occasionally required to do so). The other comparison I feel compelled to make is to the Genesis version of Strider, though perhaps not favorably. Just like Strider, KP: Revenge of Monkey Fist follows a pattern of using excessive frames of animation in your movement to 'make you look cool'. And it does look cool, but the trouble is that this doesn't necessarily lend itself to great feeling gameplay. This can occasionally make inputs seem slightly unresponsive, and in the case of KP: Revenge of Monkey Fist it leads to one specific issue. Certain areas of the game require you to do an extended hand spring jump to add extra height/distance to your jump. The trouble is that the animation involoved here requires that you start running, then do a cart wheel into a double hand spring the end of which causes you to spring into a much higher jump than normal. The problem here isn't that it's difficult to execute, it's not. The problem is that the on-screen distance required to allow for all those frames of animation means that you pretty much need a full screen between the begin and end of the maneuver, and often this means that you can't even see your intended landing zone. It's a questionable design choice, and although it's not a frequent issue it's compounded by the fact that this move is the only way you can hit the final boss.

Image Image

Hopefully I haven't sounded too harsh regarding KP: Revenge of Monkey Fist. There are certainly moments of fun to be had here. It's nothing you haven't seen before in other platformers of this kind, and arguably it's all been done better and more cleanly, but ultimately Revenge of Monkey Fist is not a bad game. It's a solidly mediocre game trending towards good.

If you have fond memories of Kim Possible or if you have an insatiable appetite for platformers (and have already played the landmark titles), the chances are good that you can find something to enjoy in Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist. For most of us I think that means it's a game that can safely be skipped. And that's the sitch. :wink:
Last edited by nullPointer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to General Gaming