Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Once again, make sure to start a new file after "beating" the game for the first time, awesomeness awaits!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PresidentLeever wrote:

48. The Magic of Scheherazade (NES)

Quite an interesting and in some ways ahead of its time game. I liked it more than Zelda and Ys 1-2 (8-bit), but not quite as much as Crystalis.

Ooooh....nice. I’ve always been curious about that one. How’s the combat? Is it real-time or turn-based?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

lordb0rb4 wrote:Once again, make sure to start a new file after "beating" the game for the first time, awesomeness awaits!

Just the ability to use new paths in the same levels? Or do these now accessible paths lead to new bosses and new levels entirely?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

PresidentLeever wrote:48. The Magic of Scheherazade (NES)

Quite an interesting and in some ways ahead of its time game. I liked it more than Zelda and Ys 1-2 (8-bit), but not quite as much as Crystalis.

Unusual ranking! I think I'd go,

The Legend of Zelda
Ys II (Fami)
Ys (SMS)
Crystalis
The Magic of Scheherazade

All are excellent though.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Exhuminator wrote:
lordb0rb4 wrote:Once again, make sure to start a new file after "beating" the game for the first time, awesomeness awaits!

Just the ability to use new paths in the same levels? Or do these now accessible paths lead to new bosses and new levels entirely?

I'm not gonna spoil it but there are completely new areas, bosses and the real ending.
It's more than worthy
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

There's also another mode you can unlock if you... don't recruit helpers. And there are two ways you can do that. One of these ways leads to said mode. That's all I'm saying.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Yeah, and i think this is one of the charms of the game, clearly it was made with care and passion.
I guess attacking ( :lol: ) or not pressing up to recruit ?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Okay, I've had time to internalize my feelings on Curse of the Moon after four runs through the game. I think it's absolutely excellent. I don't think I'd put it at the top of the Castlevania pantheon, but it most assuredly slots in higher than Castlevania Chronicles or Bloodlines. Maybe that should go into the unpopular opinions thread, I know there are folks that absolutely adore Bloodlines.

Anyway, it manages to give that classic Castlevania feel, but plays at a faster pace. But boy oh boy, if you play in Veteran mode, you're going to remember all the joys of flying down pits. And that was true regardless of the mode I played in. Part of that might me some of the characters that get really good traversal methods makes me want to shortcut a lot of stuff, and I die in the process. I think I'm going to give it a 9.0. No higher than that; 8.5 feels a bit too low. Inti Creates got it right on this one, and it makes me happy I backed the project already. If the main game exhibits this sort of care, we're in for a treat.

Also, I guess this is the first Classicvania we've gotten since... Rondo? Wow. (Yes, I know, different series, but this really is CV with the serial numbers filed off, and what I suspect everyone wanted Mighty No. 9 to be with respect to Mega Man.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Sarge wrote:Okay, I've had time to internalize my feelings on Curse of the Moon after four runs through the game. I think it's absolutely excellent. I don't think I'd put it at the top of the Castlevania pantheon, but it most assuredly slots in higher than Castlevania Chronicles or Bloodlines. Maybe that should go into the unpopular opinions thread, I know there are folks that absolutely adore Bloodlines.

Anyway, it manages to give that classic Castlevania feel, but plays at a faster pace. But boy oh boy, if you play in Veteran mode, you're going to remember all the joys of flying down pits. And that was true regardless of the mode I played in. Part of that might me some of the characters that get really good traversal methods makes me want to shortcut a lot of stuff, and I die in the process. I think I'm going to give it a 9.0. No higher than that; 8.5 feels a bit too low. Inti Creates got it right on this one, and it makes me happy I backed the project already. If the main game exhibits this sort of care, we're in for a treat.

Also, I guess this is the first Classicvania we've gotten since... Rondo? Wow. (Yes, I know, different series, but this really is CV with the serial numbers filed off, and what I suspect everyone wanted Mighty No. 9 to be with respect to Mega Man.

Agreed 100% with you, one of the best games i've played this year.
I started Chronicles (Part of my summer challenge) yesterday and i felt the punch real hard, sure it has that 8bit shell at first glance but OH BOY indeed, i was actually surprised by it's many mechanics and little details.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this game optimized by the Classicvania speedrunners.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.