Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:FFIII's job system is much rougher than V's. The major thing to keep in mind is that the game's level design is based around forcing you to switch to particular jobs at various points. It will do this through equipment availability or combat encounter design. You should not be afraid of having a full party be all the same job; this is required at several points in the game to make any real headway. Then it all goes out the window at the end because Ninja and Sage are the best non-fully equipped Onion Knight.

*ahem* The Giant Rat!

Pretty sure he's a normal sized rat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 54
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (3 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7

54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7

Edge is a random little indie game by Two Tribes that I bought on a whim when it was on sale on the Wii U eShop a few years ago, but I never really put a whole lot of time into it before - just a couple levels here, a couple levels there, so on and so forth. As I'm packing up most of my consoles to move, however, my Wii U is one of the few consoles that I still have hooked up, so I figured I'd put some time into this game.

The visual style of the game is extremely simplistic; you play as a a little cube and have to make your way through the levels and avoid increasingly difficult obstacles. There are, thankfully, checkpoints at various points throughout the levels, and they're pretty frequent, but even with that, the latter levels get really tricky. Honestly I don't even remember if there's much audio or music, so if there is, that probably means that it's pretty unimpressive.

The early levels of the game are extremely easy as you learn the basic mechanics of the game, but towards the end, your timing and precision has to be exact with zero room for error. Fortunately, the levels are varied enough and few enough in number - about 50 in total - that it never gets boring or stale. Frustrating? Absolutely. Not boring, though.

Edge is an extremely simple indie game both in gameplay and in presentation. That simplicity does not undermine the addictive puzzle game hiding underneath, however. It's a pretty cheap download on the Wii U eShop, and I can't imagine that it's expensive on other platforms, so if physics based puzzle platformers are your thing, give this one a shot. It's not amazing, but it's definitely a good time.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21. Deadbolt (Steam)

22. Legend of Grimrock 2 (Steam)

The first Legend of Grimrock was a game that I learned about mostly through accident when I saw it on a Youtuber's channel a little after it came out. I picked it up and ended up loving it way more than I thought I could love a game like that. I was extatic when I heard a sequel was coming out, so as I usually do, I proceeded to wait years to even pick it up and then longer to even give it a go :lol: All the talk around this month's FPDC theme for TR gave me all the motivation I needed to finally give it a go, and I'm so glad I did! Grimrock 2 is everything about the first game cranked up a few notches. I played on normal difficulty with ironman saving (couldn't save other than at save points, so no quick save/quick load) and it took me around 23 hours.

Legend of Grimrock is a series of first person dungeon crawlers very much in homage to games like Lands of Lore. Grid-based, first person movement is the name of the game as you kite around monsters, hunt walls for secret buttons, and solve brain-bending puzzles in an effort to escape the island you've been marooned on. I really only have experience in the genre with the Grimrock games, so this review will basically only talk about them in relation to one another.

The main thing that separates Grimrock 2 from 1 is that the game is far less linear because of the island setting. Grimrock 1 took place entirely inside a giant tower you were descending, and had a very linear map design as a result. Even if you backtracked a little at times, you were always going towards the goal of finding the real exit to that particular floor. Grimrock 2 has a giant island to explore where you're hunting for gems of power to unlock the giant castle in the middle. You can go to almost anywhere on the island as soon as you're done with the starting area, so the game has a very non-linear feel to it in comparison to its predecessor. This led to me spending hours just following the next little clue, the next passageway, a new piece of loot. The expanded, non-linear map really gave the game a flair of exploration the previous game lacked, which I really loved. The only down-side to this is that, at least on normal mode, there were some areas I'd go to and get fucking destroyed by the monsters in while some I'd go to and have no problem at all. Some of that I think was down to thematic reasons (of course the pyramid has mummies, even though they suck), but it definitely felt like the enemy balance wasn't exactly perfect. I never felt like I was in an unwinnable situation though. It just took getting slightly more crafty with how I handled enemies in that area, as even the weaker enemies always had stronger, scarier friends not too far behind :lol:

You make a party of four characters of five different races each with their own racial perks, pick some starting abilities for them, and give them a class. The cool thing about Grimrock 2 is that your class only very slightly restricts what you can actually do in the game, as it really only influences the permanent stat boosts you get when you level up as well as some other small passives (like how only alchemists can have herbs grow in their inventory, or only farmers level up by eating food instead of fighting monsters). Any character can level up any skill as easier as any other, so any class can effectively wield any equipment if you decide to level them that way. Want a wizard who can wear heavy armor? You can do that! A berserker who can cast spells? As long as he has a wand to use, he can do that! Most weapons also have a special move that can be used by holding down the button for them, so even non-caster characters get a chance to have mana as a valuable resource now :)

The puzzles in this game are damn hard. There was only one, maybe two puzzles I had to look up in the original Grimrock, but there were at least half a dozen or more I had to for this game. They're all online, often with hints followed by the actual solution, which was nice, but they really cranked up the amount of vague hints you need to decipher or environmental clues you gotta gather to understand how to get through an area Xp

Verdict: Highly Recommended. Legend of Grimrock was a fantastic homage to old FPDC's, and the sequel expands on its mechanics in ideas in just about only good ways. If you like FPDC's, you will probably love this game. If you just like RPG's or adventure games, you'll probably like this game as well. It's a fantastic modern entry to the genre that I can't recommend well enough :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

So I picked up Retro Game Crunch in Humble's current sale. It's only 99 cents! Somehow, this one escaped my notice; I think perhaps I thought it was some game dev simulator. Nope, it's more of a Retro Game Challenge collection of seven different games. I've only played one so far, and that's Super Clew Land. Gotta admit, it's pretty slick. You've got a critter that eats stuff to evolve, and to evolve you have to match up the proteins (?) in his stomach using the face buttons in real time. That section of the game is pretty simple. Where it gets tougher is when you fully evolve, you can fly. Well, some of the flight segments are absolutely devious. It took me quite a few tries to get through one in particular.

Why would I do that, you ask? Well, the whole map is connected, and scattered across it are special gems that you actually need to beat the game. You'll find a sanctuary effectively beneath the map, where you can upgrade one final time, and it lets you break through to the final area at the top of the map. That last boss fight ends up quite tough; it took me about 15-20 tries to finally get it. Maybe more, don't know. But still, I got through it, and my final time was just shy of an hour, although real time was about 75 minutes according to Steam. I'm sure that's on account of all the deaths during that flight and against the final boss.

I liked it a lot, though. I feel like I got my money's worth just from that one game, and I'm looking forward to trying out the rest. I'd give this part a 7.5/10, with some possible curving upward because I really love NES-style stuff.

EDIT: Second game down from that set. Gaia-ttack sees you controlling some critters in a sort of melding of Ice Climber and a beat-'em-up. It controls a lot better than the former, though. While the combat might not be deep, properly juggling enemies can be quite effective, especially against the boss of each stage. When you climb the entire stage, you'll board an airship and beat up on a sky pirate captain. He gets new patterns every time, and that last one falls into the NES hard category again. Still, pretty fun overall, even if it felt like more of a trifle than Super Clew Land. I'd give it a 6.5, and can't say I hated the 45 minutes it took me to finish. (Most of which was spent on the last stage and end boss, actually. There's a leaderboard, and the top time was a bit over 16 minutes to clear.)

EDIT 2: And a third down. Wub-Wub Wescue sees you take control of a little pug trying to save his master from the clutches of some jungle-dwelling tribe that has kidnapped him. The game clearly takes its inspiration from Donkey Kong. The pug can't drop very far without dying, climbing ladders feels very similar, and while your jumps are a bit higher than Mario's, they still feel like those in DK, very deliberate with no changing of direction in mid-air.

If it were just a DK clone, well, I guess that'd be fine, but there's a pretty significant puzzle-solving aspect. See, the layouts are pretty complex, so not only do you have to do that, but you'll also find music players that will give your pug some temporary abilities. The first lets you slow time, another lets you put snakes to sleep, one lets you lull monkeys into a state where they'll throw you somewhere else, and one makes the bats ferry you to another platform. Usually, these are combined in various ways, and I found it pretty well done. The last area also throws balloons in, which will activate just before you hit the ground from a really long jump. You'll use this in puzzles, too, along with the final boss.

Overall, I liked it a lot, I'd say it's a 7/10. Oh, and of course, it's not a pause screen, it's a "paws" screen. ;)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Pretty sure I just unintentionally sequence-broke Paradox Lost, another part of Retro Game Crunch. Finished in 33m31s, with only 23% items. I only saved like 2/28 people. So... yup.

The central conceit revolves around a time gun that warps you to past, present, and future, and you use that to get past obstacles. It's a little rough around the edges, but the Metroid inspiration is there. I think maybe a 7/10? Maybe better when I start poking around the maps a bit more; again, pretty sure I missed most of the game!
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)

15. Devil May Cry (PS2)

**Warning: Unpopular Opinion Ahead**

I beat Devil May Cry on the Sony Playstation 2 this afternoon!

I remember Devil May Cry getting basically universal praise way back in my college days and I was rather interested in it especially with the Dante's Inferno tie in. However, I never picked it up until late 2011 when I was doing one of my almost pre-Backloggery game splurge sessions. I was making use of a sale and walked out with 13 games, one of them being Devil May Cry. I decided it was now time to give it a shot as I remember people praising it online. I also saw the opening cutscene and I loved the over the top goodness of it all.

The opening cutscene is fantastic and worth a watch even if you never play the game. Besides one other scene, Devil May is one of the most annoying and frustrating games I have played this year. For a game about amazing action set pieces, there is way too much platforming and first person under water swimming. This would be fine, if the fixed camera and Resident Evil style design of the game make both of those incredibly frustrating and some of the most inconsistent jumping mechanics in the world. Besides that, the expectations of unique boss fights is not there. You fight like 4 bosses 4 different times and it just gets old. They are huge creatures with very small hit boxes that can damage you in an instant without any way to dodge. There is no quick dodge button as the only way to get out of the way of an attack is either jump or move. Considering Dante takes forever to swing his sword, you almost have to dodge before the bosses even attack you. The setting is uninteresting as you are running around a tiny mansion with too many similar rooms. The colors are drab, dark and dull along with the music either not being there or some annoying metal.

Devil May Cry could be one of the most disappointing games I have played in a while. It's general score is absolutely sky high, but I had no expectations going into the game. I was ready for anything, but I was still shocked at what I got. I admit that I only experienced it on Easy as Medium is way too difficult for me. Maybe if I really experience the game on a different level, it would be unique. But, nothing about the game was really fun to play. There were moments of enjoyment, but nothing too long that wanted to sustain it. I think if you are certain action fan and love dark/metal type aesthetic, then I think you would enjoy it. For me, no thank you.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Oh, man! That is an unpopular opinion! I played through it a couple of years ago for the first time, and I absolutely adored it. Oh well, we don’t all have to like the same things. :D
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm an action fan who likes a metal aesthetic and I still thought Devil May Cry was pretty bad. I just don't see what others see in it I guess.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The truly terrible DMC2 could give you guys some perspective. I don't know what else to say though, I first played DMC1 a few years ago with the HD collection on PS3 and like prfsnl_gmr, I really enjoyed it!

DMC3/DMC4 is when the combat gets 10x better and more advanced though, along with Dante becoming the TMNT pizza loving goofball that he's known for now. The irony is how Hideki Kamiya had nothing to do with these two and they were potentially better for it, I also think they blow Bayonetta away.

For my money DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Xbox are the best modern Japanese action games. Onimusha 3 also, despite not having the gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops of 1-2, it holds up really well gameplay wise.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 55
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (4 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9

55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9

RUSH is a game that stylistically is extremely similar to EDGE but with radically different gameplay. It's another game by Two Tribes who have several games on the Wii U eShop (including EDGE) ranging from pretty good to great. RUSH was originally developed as a PC game that relies heavily on mouse control, but given the use of the touchscreen on the Wii U gamepad, it made the transition to Nintendo's ill-fated console extremely well.

Whereas EDGE was a puzzle platformer that involved getting a cube through various and increasingly difficult obstacles to read a goal point, RUSH flips that formula on its head; you have to place a set number of directional tiles in the right places to make sure that each cube gets to the goal point of its corresponding color without colliding with any other cubes. The game's levels are broken into categories - "Easy," "Medium," "Hard," and some ultra hard levels that you unlock after finish the others that serve as a sort of "boss" set. As you might expect, the Easy levels are extremely easy, the Medium levels take some time, though, and trial-and-error but are totally doable, but the Hard levels can get REALLY convoluted (but in a good way). The super hard levels are just brutal.

Throughout the game, you'll have to learn to use ten different tiles; four change the cube's direction to the four cardinal directions, four slide the cube up/over/down one space while maintaining movement in its original direction afterwards, one makes the cube pause for a moment, and one is a sort of splitter that sends cubes alternating right and left. It's all very straightforward at first, but those last two - the pause and splitter - make things REALLY confusing in the latter levels.

RUSH is a perfect puzzle game for folks who want a casual game that really makes them think logically and that they can just pick up and play for a few minutes here or there without needing a major time commitment. Its visual design is very simplistic, but the use of bright colors against largely white backgrounds keeps things from looking dull, and the use of a 3D puzzle field gives it a depth that a lot of cheap indie puzzle games lack. It certainly gets frustrating in the latter levels, but the game does feature a hint function that shows you what spaces should have a tile of some kind and will show you if a placed tile is in the correct spot or not. I tried to use those as sparingly as I could, but I definitely had to resort to it a couple times in the last dozen or so levels. This is a great game for mental exercise, though.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.